Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery partition?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:52 PM

This question could apply most any version of MS, can or how could a recovery partition be made when a build is made.  If OEM can do it, can others make one??????????

Though I have sticks and drives to many plus an enclosure, I have often wondered it the average Joe/Jane could also make one when they build a system.  I am thinking one that can be activated with key sequence not a recovery disk.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:46 PM

Sure...that's what a disk image or backup is...a way of returning the system to a clean functional status.

Recovery partitions/disks only came about...because OEMs tired of providing Windows install disks to users...the intet is to give the purchaser/user of OEM systems a way of doing a clean install without involving the inclusion of Windows disks as part of the purchase.  My guess is that it's a matter of money, rather than a move based on anything else.

If a member has a legal non-OEM system with a Windows install disk...there is no need for a recovery mechanism...just backups or installtion media.  At least, that's true for Win 7 and prior versions of Windows.

Louis

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:52 PM

The key sequence activated is what I am asking about.

#4 passacaglia

passacaglia

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:36 PM

Sorry OldPhil. I don't understand your question clearly. I'll mention two things which may have to do with your theme.

As soon as you install the OS you can go to Control Panel, System and Security, Backup and Restore. I am assumimg you partitioned your disk. Create an image of your system (top left in the backup and restore screen) and place it in any other partition where there is no OS. Or, even better, in an external HDD if you have one.

Also, in the middle of that same page there is a item named "Backup Now".  Follow the instructions, place your backup again, if possible, on a external HDD. Once a week scheduled backups is OK,

You can also create a repair disk. Is you need to enter a Repair Environment you can return to your original position by using System Image or by choosing System Restore.

The latter one will be more actual since you scheduled it to run once a week. Some programs, especially if they meddle with the registry, will create restore points by themselves. Also when you uninstall programs.

Finally, you can download a free backupper, like Aomei, and put your backup somewhere except C:  And create a Aomei Backup Rescue Disk, which is bootable. Before feeling like wanting to destroy your computer, boot with the Aomei disk and, following the instructions, you can surf straight to the Aomei backup of your choice and you're back in business.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:59 PM

The key sequence activated is what I am asking about.

I might be missing the boat here, are you meaning

-- once the recovery process has been initiated by the end-user

-- how does a Recovery Partition's ReInstallation re-supply the Product Key by itself, with no end-user intervention?

Edited by RolandJS, 19 December 2015 - 09:00 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:21 PM

Ok brandy new built box can it be loaded with a recovery partition that can be activated by a few keys just like an OEM mechine?  I guess I was to lengthy or vague!

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:28 PM

From the factory yes, From an end-user?  Dunno, I guess it could be done by an end-user; I have not seen any tutorials or help guides for it.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:43 PM

Thought there was an easy way hoping for some light to be shed!  Most of what I could find is what we already do using removable media.  My barely used mini laptop only has has disks, it pooped on me a few years back while away, was not happy!  I would like to set it up a recovery on the mini like my other full sized laptops have for when I am traveling.

#9 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:51 PM

Nice Question OldPhil , never thought about it that way , been thinking on it.

I would assume OEM Companys have the Recovery Procedure built into the Bios to perform the action when needed on specific key entries , 

eg: esc key at boot and that would initiate the "Boot From" function from the Recovery Partition and then follow with the Recovery.

With Non OEM systems the Bios would be stock , so no need for the Bios to be changed or altered.

I think with making your own boot discs its a safer method to boot from them , than say a faulty drive that you cant access the recovery partition.

Its an easy method by OEMS that doesnt always work and they advise you to buy Boot Discs anyway in the event of problems.

I prefer the offline / External method , Boot Disc and Backup on USB or Ext Drives.

To your question in general , i think you could do it as OEMS do but the BIOS would have to be Altered.

If im wrong ? someone else can clue me .....and you ....up on the exact answer.

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:11 AM

The root of all of this is, I bought one of the first Acer 8 gig SSD mini's for travel.  I really hated lugging my big laptop, bulky a bit heavy aggravating during customs etc.  My grandsons Acer mini a later model with a 250 gig spinner pooped on him so I inherited it, so my mini was retired with very little use.  His mini was had a cracked screen and the system was trashed, I gambled Ebayed a new screen.  Much to my joy fired it up hit the recovery partition and had a fresh machine.  I have very little on it that I cannot download anywhere I am, Skype, Firefox for news and what ever, I use my providers email.  The 8 gigger is sitting basically brand new used 8-10 times, a couple of months back just for giggles I put 7 Pro on it.  With a 1.6 processor and 1 gig of ram it ram far better than expected, I put XP back on as the disks were from my tower would not be ligit and now it just sits.  Now I got the bug to put a bigger SSD in the mini with W7 but I like the idea of a recovery partition.  I can almost hear the first answer, too much time on my hands :busy:

#11 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:28 PM

PHIL WROTE : I can almost hear the first answer, too much time on my hands.

Now im Giggling !...either way a Recovery Partition is the same as a Personal Backup.

But the backup you make would be more up to date with Drivers  and MS Updates , on a Partition you created.

If you even get the Asus Recovery Partition on a Disc to use , i would assume it would not be up to date. 

And you would have all the Bloatware they like to give you that we all never use anyway.

Any Lappys i fix these days i try the Recovery once in the event i have to , and if it works then i update everything , remove Bloatware ,

add my programs etc , wipe the Recovery Partition , and then Image the Drive to a 2nd  Partition or USB as a 2nd defence.

Keep enjoying your Free Time...or send me some.

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:56 PM

Don't want to have external media with me and updates are turned off, there are no programs and no use of IE.

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:07 PM

Old-Phil, I'm glad you are finding the answers!  Please keep us posted as to your success so that we can "borrow" from it!  Again, thanks  :)

#14 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:23 PM

Was hoping an OEM person might notice the post and snitch on the procedure!

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,624 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:49 PM

Aoemi One Key will automatically create a partition and set the boot key to F11 to access it.

http://www.backup-utility.com/okr/make-a-recovery-partition.html

Worked like a charm for me.

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 December 2015 - 10:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users