Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 10 search not working

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 KJRose

KJRose

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:26 PM

Well I uninstalled Cortana and seriously i do not miss it one bit but now I don't have search windows is not working at all. This is sort of a prooblem for me, and I would be satisfied to reinstall the package Cortana for that reason but there is no information I can find that would solve this problem that I have not tried,

What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:16 PM

I can't answer this definitively, but there are processes that serve as component parts of the Cortana Service (but are not themselves "Cortana" as we know her as the electronic digital assistant [that's the Cortana Service]) that also serve as component parts of Windows Search.

Depending on how you went about uninstalling Cortana you could have removed those components used by Windows Search as well.  If you do reinstall it there is no need to remove it to deactivate it.  Simply turn her off in the Cortana & Search settings along with "Include Web Results" and make sure to go into your "Speech, Inking, & Typing" settings and verify that "Get to Know Me" is not activated (which means the button will be there with "Get to Know Me" on it.  I can't remember what it says when the system is actually "getting to know you.")  If you want to be really thorough follow the link to Bing on that page to get rid of any information that might already be stored on the cloud.

I simply tell people who don't want Cortana to simply not activate her in the first place.  I was asked whether I wanted to enable/activate/use her when I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and also when real Windows 10 installed for the first time on my machine that had been running the Insider Preview.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 wfallon

wfallon

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:40 AM

If you disable Windows Search you will disable Cortana, but you will still be able to use the Search function.

You have done something else, not sure what.

However, help is at hand.

Get Agent Ransack. It is a far superior search engine than MS. Available in x86 and x64.

Bill

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,807 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 24 December 2015 - 09:02 AM

Well I uninstalled Cortana and seriously i do not miss it one bit but now I don't have search windows is not working at all. This is sort of a prooblem for me, and I would be satisfied to reinstall the package Cortana for that reason but there is no information I can find that would solve this problem that I have not tried,

What should I do?

I'm not sure how you uninstalled Cortana, but how come you just didn't deactivate it instead?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 KJRose

KJRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:25 PM

I did unistall it package and all and am sorry I did... but it is too late since there is not a backup on file that has the original windows 10  I will learn to deal with it since next week I have decided to format the drive and go back to win7  In march I am getting a new system anyhow.. an Apple..

Edited by KJRose, 27 December 2015 - 12:31 PM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,999 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:36 PM

You could try:

Right-click Windows start and choose command prompt (Admin) and run the command below.

dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

If you're connected to the internet when you run it this should fetch and reinstall any missing Windows 10 system files and services.

I say the following not to be snarky, but helpful:  If you have no background with Apple products you really need to try them out for a bit before taking the plunge.  It is not easy to go from one OS to another, no matter what two OSes are involved, particularly if you've only been using one OS for years.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 KJRose

KJRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:42 PM

I think you may be right with advizing me about the different OS.. alot of this stuff since I build websites need to be moved onto the new computer so I will just get a new system so I can get off the laptop for everything. I feel a lot of this problem is because I upgraded the computer from win.7 to win10  I heard that was not a great upgrade like 8.1 was..

Also the command I inserted into command prompt admin ran and said it was restored but I cannot find anything restored like windows search or Cortana 

Edited by KJRose, 27 December 2015 - 02:25 PM.

#8 KJRose

KJRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:50 PM

Hi, I want to thank everyone for their sound advice in reference to my problem. I thought I would stop by to let you know what I had decided to do. I used the built in reset and removed all the programs that did not install with windows. Then I put what I needed back on and my files that I copied and now everything is really great! It is fast no errors and everything works.. now I have to try and install Cortana with the command above and see if she will come back. If not no major loss I can work with it easily this way, :guitar:

If I download this from Here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=47715

This file:

5546_A05-Cortana-External-WSG.DOCX

where would I place it? Cortana is on my system in wow  but it is not functioning and I do not know how to reinstall it...I just want to know if I can get my windows search back is all

Edited by KJRose, 18 January 2016 - 03:18 PM.

#9 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:11 PM

A DOCX file is a Word document, not anything executable, so if that's really what you want, put it wherever you put documents, like maybe your Documents folder.

`

Good luck. 

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#10 KJRose

KJRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:25 PM

Yes I realize that now .. wonder why when following this on Google : 

Download Cortana from Official Microsoft Download Center

It leads me to that bogus file.. is there a way to re-add Cortana to windows?

#11 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:51 PM

There is a place on the Microsoft site here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=47715 .  There is a red button labeled DOWNLOAD in red there.

Good luck. 

#12 KJRose

KJRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:57 PM

Niweg that is the same exact file I downloaded. It is a doc file. That is what downloads.Thank you just the same. :)

#13 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:46 AM

You're right, and unfortunately that DOCX document doesn't say how to download & install Cortana like you want.  Like others have said, I don't know how you managed to remove Cortana.  I'm guessing you must've used some 3rd party tool because I don't see anything in the Programs & Features applet about that.  

FWIW I always make sure I have a full system backup before doing something like that.  That ounce of prevention sure saves a lot of pounds of cure when Murphy inevitably strikes.  :dance:

#14 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:54 AM

Hi KJRose

The 5546_A05-Cortana-External-WSG.DOCX file you downloaded is a user guide for Cortana. The best way to view he document is with Microsoft Word. If you don't have Microsoft Word installed on your computer, you may view the document using WordPad.

Navigate Start > All Apps > Windows Accessories > WordPad. Once WordPad is open navigate to File > Open and choose the location where you stored 5546_A05-Cortana-External-WSG.DOCX. Highlight the file and click Open.

Please ignore the warning at the top of the document "WordPad does not support all of the features of this document's format. Some content might be missing or displayed improperly." The differences in opening the document with MS Word or MS Wordpad are subtile.

I suggest you read the document top to bottom and become familiar with the features of Cortana, however if you are in a hurry to get Cortana Up and Runnung... scroll down to the Setup section and follow the guide.

Remember... You must be signed In to your Microsoft Account to use Cortana!

Best of Luck and Please Keep BC Community posted!

Old Rocker

#15 Hauberk

Hauberk

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:02 AM

What should I do?

1. Do you mean you have removed the app and package of Cortana or You just disable Cortana app or?

I don't know how you managed to remove Cortana.  I'm guessing you must've used some 3rd party tool because I don't see anything in the Programs & Features applet about that.  

:dance:

2. The Cortana which is a windows app and it can only removed with powershell command:

Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage Microsoft.ZuneMusic_2019.6.11821.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe

or delete it files on system app folder is:

%WinDir%\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy

3. To get Cortana app back you must use powershell and a line of it command which will reinstall all windows apps:

To get Cortana back, first run PowerShell as Admin then write this code in it:

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

After that press Enter. When the process done, restart windows and should all apps of windows system work fine, Cortana app as well.

Edited by Hauberk, 23 January 2016 - 11:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users