Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate (license-only)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 UkUser213

UkUser213

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 01:46 PM

Hello, hope this is a good place to post this. I have been trying to upgrade my Sony Vaio Windows 7 laptop from Home Premium to Ultimate using a license-only upgrade key purchased off Amazon Uk. 

This looked promising, because the supplier went out of their way to emphasise this was a legitimate boxed version (origin Ireland) and was brand new. 

At first, windows appeared to accept the upgrade key, but then came up with the message 'Installation not successful'. 

It also threw up an error code (which I read online) is usually associated with Service pack 1 not being properly installed. However, this turned out to be a diversion, as my version of Home Premium already had SP1 pre-installed, so in fact there is nothing that can be done to un-install or re-install it. 

When I rebooted my computer, the option to enter an upgrade code under 'anytime upgrade' had suddenly disappeared and the only thing that came up in the search box from the Start menu was the title 'anytime upgrade no longer available.' 

Is there any way to make this work? I was aware that the fully online way to do an upgrade was no longer possible, but I thought if I purchased a legitimate upgrade key from a retailer, then this might work, as Microsoft still provided the box into which you can enter an upgrade key.

Hope I'm making good sense here - a really frustrating situation!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:31 PM

Appears to me that you are out of luck with said license, if THIS is what you refer to.  Note the comments near the bottom.

But you might take a look at http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/95744-windows-anytime-upgrade-how.html and http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/videos/upgrade-to-another-edition-of-windows-7-by-using-windows-anytime-upgrade .  See the Notes at the second link.

Louis

#3 UkUser213

UkUser213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:58 AM

Thanks hamluis - sorted now, thankfully! For me the trick was switching off automatic updates, but yes, it was the old 

Microsoft 'pretending not to work, and then actually working  (i.e. upgrading) on re-boot' bug at work again. When Microsoft are such a

big firm, how do they manage to mess up like that - incredible! 

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:00 PM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users