Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reimage

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 durkinjt

durkinjt

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 01:44 PM

Just read of a program called Reimage in PC Magazine, supposedly monitors and repairs missing or faulty files, was rated highly by PC , any opinions? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 02:52 PM

Only repairs files that are part of the Windows OS, not Microsoft Office or other third-party files. Can turn up disturbing (but ultimately harmless) glitches....at $69.95 per year, you should try other solutions first...

Test Results
I got mixed results when I tested Reimage on three real-world systems. It eventually performed as advertised, but it gave me a series of headaches while it did...At the end of the free scan, if Reimage finds problems that it thinks it can repair, it prompts you to pay your $69.95 for a license key that unlocks the program's repair phase...

PCMag Review: Reimage

That doesn't sound too highly rated to me.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,873 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:12 PM

Reimage is often bundled with other software and I suspect it is distributed by trojan droppers, too. You really have to question why

legitimate and well maintained software would need to do that.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:14 PM

There is more to it then that.:

Reimage is a unique Windows repair service that performs feats which no other maintenance software even attempts. When you use it to repair your system, it phones home to its huge repository of Windows files, and downloads and replaces or installs any Windows files that are damaged or missing from your system. In effect, it reinstalls Windows "in place"—without making you reinstall all your application software. It sounds like an ideal solution to problems that start to afflict almost every Windows system that's more than a few hours old—and for many users, it may the best available solution for recalcitrant Windows problems. But before you use it, keep in mind that it only replaces files that are part of your Windows system itself—not files that are part of Microsoft Office or any other vendor's software. If Windows is acting up because of something that's gone wrong in Windows itself, then Reimage may be your best shot at making it behave. But if Windows is acting up because third-party software—or Microsoft application software—is causing problems, Reimage won't fix it. The current software is a hair better than the version we tested last year, but expect some problems to arise.Seems to have some good/bad points. Also can be purchased for about $39 when on sale. 

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,873 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:46 PM

See info at Remove "Reimage" PC Repair Online (Uninstall Guide)

QUOTE a bit....ReImage PC Repair Online it’s technically not a virus, but it does exhibit plenty of malicious traits, such as rootkit capabilities to hook deep into the operating system, browser hijacking, and in general just interfering with the user experience. The industry generally refers to it as a “PUP,” or potentially unwanted program.

I'm actually posting this info for others so they don't fall victim. You seem to be sold on it for some reason.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,937 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:28 PM

And I will add that programs bundled with other software you download are in many cases considered Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) so they may be detected or even removed by some security scanners which specifically look for PUPs and adware.

#7 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:35 PM

Thanks for the good info, I'm convinced, just bought Ccleaner. Will get  rid of Reimage, also have System Mechanic, also a no-no?

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,937 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:57 PM

... also have System Mechanic, also a no-no?

Yes.

System Mechanic is a comprehensive optimization suite by iolo that purports to improve performance, repair Window's registry, fix common PC problems, and enhance the speed of a computer. It includes a registry cleaner, a registry revitalizer (to fix "so called problems"), system optimizer and several other features.

System Mechanic Pro incorporates the same optimization suite but also purports to plug security holes and protect privacy, and includes System Shield AntiVirus & AntiSpyware. There are several labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, etc. I cannot find any which have tested System Shield AntiVirus & AntiSpyware. I would be skeptical of any vendor not participating in comparative testing. As such, I would recommend replacing System Shield with a more reputable anti-virus solution.

The optimization and performance improvement claims made by such software vendors are borderline scams. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are a marketing ploy intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product. I would not trust any results such programs detect as problematic or needing repair nor recommend using the options to fix them. I also would not trust any detection alerts for viruses or other malware.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Be sure to read Microsoft's support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities in that topic...Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners.

#9 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:20 PM

Thanks, just saw an ad on Bleeping Computer called My Turbo PC is this really backed by Bleeping Computer?

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,937 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:47 PM

No.

Sponsored advertisements are shown on the Bleeping Computer web site if you are not logged on with your forum account as a registered member. These are Google AdSense Ads which is allowed in order to defray the cost (pay the bills) of maintaining the board. Although the site owner permits ads, we have no control over them and BC does not recommend or endorse any of the advertisements. If you are logged in with your member account, you should not see any advertisements or download links for them....that's one reason we encourage our members to always sign in first.

Further, when not logged on, some folks may click the incorrect download link or unknowingly click a link which downloads or attempts to download a program they did not intend to install. You have to be careful with clicking on links no matter which web site you're on. Sometimes the ads are for downloading junk registry cleaners, optimizers, download managers or other worthless applications we do not recommend. Other times ads may lead to borderline scam support sites which request payment for providing assistance.

Bleeping Computer does not allow popups to be displayed on the site. If one is being shown it is either a rogue advertisement or an infection on your computer.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:54 PM

"...Sponsored advertisements are shown on the Bleeping Computer web site if you are not logged on with your forum account as a registered member. These are Google AdSense Ads which is allowed in order to defray the cost (pay the bills) of maintaining the board. Although the site owner permits ads, we have no control over them and BC does not recommend or endorse any of the advertisements. If you are logged in with your member account, you should not see any advertisements or download links for them....that's one reason we encourage our members to always sign in first."

Full disclosure, BC is not the only discussion board with such ads, Clark Howard Message Board, Windows Secrets Lounge, just to name two of many.  A third - my own host yuku.com, my own college cafe, has ads galore if not fully membered within yuku.com and then signed into whichever discussion board or boards one wants.  By the way, I'm a regular on CH and WSL, they both supply much wisdom and help, in their ways, just like BC does here.

Edited by RolandJS, 19 December 2015 - 08:55 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#12 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:10 PM

Roland, I must not have been logged in, did not think BC would have endorsed such an program, are the two boards public boards?

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:14 PM

Roland, I must not have been logged in, did not think BC would have endorsed such an program, are the two boards public boards?

Best way, simply ignore any and all ads.  Only when any BC tech recommends downloading something, will that BC tech also tell you where to download from, and how to install/use that something.  Again, simply ignore any and all ads you see anywhere; most discussion boards, public or private, have to tolerate ads being displayed as the price of doing inexpensive business with the host companies.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,937 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:28 AM

If someone has taken the time to register and create an account, then they should simply log on...which takes less time and effort than creating the original account to begin with.

#15 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:53 PM

Sorry for not signing in, was answering a reply via an e-mail addressed to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users