Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W10 runs out of memory w/ AMD card but not Nvidia?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jmsolyk2

Jmsolyk2

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:22 AM

Hello all,

A friend gave me an AMD R9 290X and I swapped it for my old Nvidia 670 GTX. Naturally I uninstalled all drivers/control panel/etc for Nvidia and then installed the full AMD suite. [I've since installed ONLY the drivers, read on...]

Specs:

i7 4790K @ stock

16GB RAM

AMD R9 290X w/ latest drivers @ stock speeds

Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H mobo

SanDisk SDSSDHP256G (SSD drive w/ Windows)

Windows 10 will now, regularly, "crash" due to low memory. Applications will give errors about not being able to write or read memory, explorer will basically kick the bucket, and I'll either find the computer in a rebooted but not logged in state or the desktop will be blank with only the taskbar visible. A full reboot is generally the only solution to the problem. I should note this only happens if I leave the computer running and I'm NOT using it for a period of time. I've never actually seen the problem created while using the PC, only after coming back to it (I never turn off the PC).

I know that this is related to the AMD drivers/card, but don't know what to do about it or even how to troubleshoot it. I don't see anything in event viewer that indicates the problem. I've never had this problem before moving to the AMD card. I tried uninstalling everything and then using ONLY the drivers (no program suite), but no luck.

I can't find anything online about this so I'm very confused as certainly I'm not the only one experiencing this?

Any help is appreciated,

-J

Edited by Jmsolyk2, 19 December 2015 - 03:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:03 PM

have you tried a older version of the driver? Also, what power suppy are you using?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Guest_RaphyPlays_*

Guest_RaphyPlays_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:51 PM

Hello all,

A friend gave me an AMD R9 290X and I swapped it for my old Nvidia 670 GTX. Naturally I uninstalled all drivers/control panel/etc for Nvidia and then installed the full AMD suite. [I've since installed ONLY the drivers, read on...]

Specs:

i7 4790K @ stock

16GB RAM

AMD R9 290X w/ latest drivers @ stock speeds

Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H mobo

SanDisk SDSSDHP256G (SSD drive w/ Windows)

Windows 10 will now, regularly, "crash" due to low memory. Applications will give errors about not being able to write or read memory, explorer will basically kick the bucket, and I'll either find the computer in a rebooted but not logged in state or the desktop will be blank with only the taskbar visible. A full reboot is generally the only solution to the problem. I should note this only happens if I leave the computer running and I'm NOT using it for a period of time. I've never actually seen the problem created while using the PC, only after coming back to it (I never turn off the PC).

I know that this is related to the AMD drivers/card, but don't know what to do about it or even how to troubleshoot it. I don't see anything in event viewer that indicates the problem. I've never had this problem before moving to the AMD card. I tried uninstalling everything and then using ONLY the drivers (no program suite), but no luck.

I can't find anything online about this so I'm very confused as certainly I'm not the only one experiencing this?

Any help is appreciated,

-J

I would recommend doing a fresh Windows install this is most likeley caused by the drivers conflicting with each other some of the nvidia drivers will still remain on the system even when uninstalled or perhaps trying to install fresh Windows on a spare drive and see if its stable

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:48 PM

I don't think a reformat is necessary at this point, that's kind of a drastic measure. But it could be a driver issue for certain... How did you uninstall the nvidia drivers?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 Jmsolyk2

Jmsolyk2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:56 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I have at least an 850w PSU. I'm too lazy to pull the side at the moment but my last PSU ordered on Amazon was "EVGA Supernova 850 B2 Power Supply 80PLUS Bronze Certified 850W ATX Power Supply with ATX12V 110-B2-0850-V1".

I've done both the nVidia/AMD uninstall programs as well as using DDU (display driver uninstaller). There shouldn't be anything at all left over, but what I'll do right now is reboot to safe, run DDU for both nVidia and AMD, and then once again install JUST the AMD display driver (no utilities). I doubt it will work though, as I've essentially done this already.

This is definitely an AMD conflict with something in windows, from what I can tell, as it never once happened prior to swapping cards. I do that and suddenly the next day I find the PC in the "out of memory" state. It's continuing to happen and only a reboot fixes it, thus I'm fairly annoyed but want the better-performing card in my system.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:17 PM

The running out of memory is definetly an interesting problem....perhaps try uninstalling the Nvidia drivers with a program such as Revo uninstaller. Also, are you sure the card itself works? Do you have another PC to try it on?

picard5.jpg

#7 Jmsolyk2

Jmsolyk2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:56 AM

HTRN,

DDU completely removes the drivers (all .infs, etc). It also requires safe mode, so I'm fairly certain it's removing just about anything and everything related to the card.

I've rebooted to safe mode, used DDU to uninstall all AMD and Nvidia drivers, and then installed only the minimal AMD stuff again (after reboot). Rebooted again and just played Call of Duty: Black Ops III with no issues for a few hours. Going to bed now, so I'll let it sit and see how it is tomorrow...

-J

#8 Jmsolyk2

Jmsolyk2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 01:31 PM

No luck. Still happening

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 09:34 PM

what exactly does the error say-is it running out of video memory or system memory?

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users