Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Troubles with new graphics card

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 khkoerner321

khkoerner321

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 01:54 AM

Hello, new posting here. Have a weird issue I cannot figure out at all.

I have a Intel DH77EB motherboard, Core i3-3220, 8GB ram, Windows 10.

Currently I have a Geforce Gt 610 graphics card, doesn't use any 6 pin connectors from the power supply, this card works just fine.

Trying to upgrade to a Radeon R9 270x, requires 2 6 pin power connectors, I have a 600w modular power supply. No issue hooking up the cables to it. 

However when I try to boot with the 270x inserted into the pcie slot, the computer doesn't boot, the fans don't even attempt to spin at all, the power button does nothing. I reseated everything in the computer including going as far as to remove the motherboard and make sure all of the standoffs and such are placed correctly.

Still did nothing, removed the 270x and put my old GT 610 back in. Instantly starts right back up, no issues at all. Tried my friends spare graphics card, a GTX 560 Ti. Again, requires the 6 pin power connectors from the power supply. Same thing, power button does nothing, wont even attempt to boot.

I have tried switching power supplies to a different supply, my brothers 750w. Tried going through the different cards, again, same issue. Only the GT 610 which does not require the 6 pin connector works. The other 2 do not. 

Any help would be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:48 AM

What is PSU exact model?

#3 khkoerner321

khkoerner321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:17 AM

It is a Rosewill RD600 600w

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,344 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:14 AM

However when I try to boot with the 270x inserted into the pcie slot, the computer doesn't boot, the fans don't even attempt to spin at all, the power button does nothing. I reseated everything in the computer including going as far as to remove the motherboard and make sure all of the standoffs and such are placed correctly.

Sounds like something is very wrong with PSU. Perhaps short circuit within 6-pin wires and PSU refuses to power up. Or something similar.

So try that 560Ti without plugging 6-pin connector. Computer should at least try to start.

#5 khkoerner321

khkoerner321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:12 PM

Yup tried that too. No matter if its plugged in or not to the 6 pins the 270x and the 560ti inserted into the pcie slot still won't work. As soon as I unplug the card the computer will work, or when the 610 goes back in it will still start.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,344 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:57 PM

270x may be totally broken. Check if PCI Express connector has visible defects. If not, I'm out of ideas.

#7 khkoerner321

khkoerner321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:05 PM

none of them are broken. tried them in my brothers computer and they both work. no visable defects. just confuses me how the one without a power connector for the power supply will work but yet the one that needs the power from the pcie port will work. 

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,344 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:02 AM

none of them are broken. tried them in my brothers computer and they both work. no visable defects. just confuses me how the one without a power connector for the power supply will work but yet the one that needs the power from the pcie port will work. 

I meant 270X PCI Express slot connectors. Does that GPU work on your brothers' computer?

#9 khkoerner321

khkoerner321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:05 AM

I meant 270X PCI Express slot connectors. Does that GPU work on your brothers' computer?

Yes, both cards that don't work on mine work in my brothers with no problems.

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,344 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:42 AM

Seems like very serious compatibility problem. I have no further ideas how to solve it :(

#11 khkoerner321

khkoerner321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:46 AM

Yeah. My friend has a nice Asus motherboard and a AMD FX-8350, he would sell both to me for $200. I'm probably just gonna do that because that's the same motherboard he used to run the 270x on. At this point I don't know what else to try. Haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users