Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer crashes while gaming, after installing new RAM

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Tron5

Tron5

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:50 PM

First off, hello I am Tron and I am new here glad to meet you all.

Just some basic info for now, will post more in depth asap.
This was my first computer build on a low budget, I was nervous about attempting to do it because I have very little knowledge in the world of computers but I am a hands on learner so I had to give it a shot.
MSI a78m-e35 mobo
amd a8 5600k apu
1x4gb ballistix
430w corsair psu
this was the original build and everything ran great. I played WoW,skyrim and rust on low settings no problem. So recently I have gotten more into Rust and decided I would upgrade my ram for a better experience in the game and so I wouldn't get rekt in every gunfight lol. I purchased 2x8gb pny pc312800
model# md8192sd3-1600-nhs-v2
Installed the new RAM (I only have two slots for RAM) and started the game, wow everything was great! Clean gameplay everything was smooth and bright, just wonderful! 30 minutes later computer crashes BSOD... Start it up again and it crashes again.. So I check to make sure ram is seated properly and it is, make sure I didn't bump any wires while I was in there.. Everything was fine. So i started browsing message board upon message board upon message board and find out actually quite a few people have this problem with Rust. So I decided I would launch skyrim on medium settings and see what it does.. and hopefully it was just Rust and not my computer, 10 min later it crashes. So I decided to post a topic for myself hoping for some answers. I am currently running memtest on one stick of the new RAM and will check the other one after but in the mean time if anyone has any input I would really appreciate it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tron5

Tron5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:59 PM

Running Windows 10 64 bit

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:54 PM

You should download speccy and publish a snapshot. My guess would be the memory timings not being set correctly. The modules you replaced the 4G with are CAS 11 versus CAS 9 you had in it. Also, try them on interleaving.

#4 Tron5

Tron5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:15 PM

Ok like I said in still new to a lot of this so I'll do some research on this before I start bombarding you with more questions, I ran cpuid and it was showing my timings were 11 11 11 then 28 or 29 (I forget on the last number). I'll download speccy as soon as memtest finishes this pass. I'm not real sure what interleaving is but I'll look it up! Thank you for the reply I'll post a screen shot as soon as I can! Would you like a screen shot of anything else?

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:56 PM

Just need a speccy snapshot to see if anything looks abnormal. Good that you are running a memtest, but you usually want to run that over night with multiple passes.

#6 Tron5

Tron5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:03 PM

5nNeCKE.png

AAqwceb.png

Also I only need to memtest one stick at a time correct?

#7 Tron5

Tron5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:05 PM

it says i have 4 memory slots but i know i only have 2? Also my mobo is a a78m-e35??

Edited by Tron5, 18 December 2015 - 11:06 PM.

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:05 PM

In speccy go to file and publish and post that url. Need the whole thing.

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:08 PM

it says i have 4 memory slots but i know i only have 2? Also my mobo is a a78m-e35??

Yeah, speccy can be a little off on some things. Sometimes voltages as well. However, the bulk of the information is useful.

#10 Tron5

Tron5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:13 PM

I changed this post so I don't look to much like an idiot  :P

Edited by Tron5, 18 December 2015 - 11:49 PM.

#11 Tron5

Tron5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:21 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/h0rovdm626ZA7lS8ZpJBxBN

#12 Tron5

Tron5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:47 PM

Well thank you and thanks to speccy i think i more than likely have the answer. I left speccy running while i started up rust and my cpu temp was reaching 90c+ !! Surely an overheating issue?? It looks pretty clean though but ill hit it with some air tomorrow and see if that helps! I let it cool back down and then checked BIOS and its showing 128 degrees which is max readings I'm pretty sure.. so possibly damaged the temp sensor, idk if that's a problem since I can just keep an eye on it with speccy but if the air doesn't fix it what would you suggest?

#13 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:04 PM

Well speccy shows it's 42 idle. That's normal temp. The highest that cpu can handle is 74C according to documentation. If you're seeing 90C then that is likely a really filthy heat sink or fan beginning to seize. You can usually remove just the fan from the heat sink after taking the screws our or clips holding it. I use a toothbrush to get that layer of dust off the heat sink beneath the fan. Use it clean fins on fan too. Then blow it all out with air. If idle temps was high, then that is a sign of a failed fan or failed thermal compound contact between the cpu & heat sink. You want to blow out the case and front grill too. Usually you can just pop the front off.

#14 Tron5

Tron5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:46 PM

Ok yes I removed the fan from the heatsink and there really wasn't much dust on top but I cleaned the fins and heatsink, also I went into BIOS and turned fan speed up to max, and then my idle temps were 55-60 range? Maybe it is just the fan after all? It sounded like it was spinning very fast. I made sure no wires were blocking airflow as well. Will having the side panel off of the computer cause a disturbance in the airflow from the front of the case to the back?
I ordered some high performance thermal paste I'm going to go ahead and reapply it can't hurt anything

Edited by Tron5, 19 December 2015 - 04:49 PM.

#15 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 06:38 PM

Well if you live in a very hot place then it's going to be a lot hotter no matter what. I would leave the side off and inspect temps while gaming and peek inside and see how well the fan is spinning that it's not sputtering or anything. Check it with power off and spin it with your fingers and see if any resistance is happening. Usually signs of a dried out bearing seizing. What kind of heat sink do you have on the cpu? Is it the stock one that came with it? Is it copper core aluminum finned?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users