Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Access Denied, unable to change security settings.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thewayshemoves

thewayshemoves

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:00 PM

I have a folder that has save files from a game I play, and I want to put them into Dropbox to be able to send them to a friend so he can see some of my saves.

The problem is that the folder wouldn't let me move it to my desktop because I apparently didn't have permission, so I Googled.  I changed the security settings to add "Everyone" with full access to the list of users, selected it, and that allowed me to move it to desktop.  

When putting it into Dropbox, it tells me that I don't have permission to move some of the files in the folder (but not all?).  So I tell it to skip them, but some of them are exactly what my friend wants to see.  When changing permissions on them or the folder to "Everyone" as I did earlier it just automatically changes the user back to administrator and removes "everyone" from the list.  Trying to delete the files that did get copied that I apparently had access to first are now doing the same thing and the folder is stuck constantly trying to reupload itself over and over.  I can neither move, delete, rename, or change security settings for any of it, while I could and did in order to move it in the first place.  It just keeps defaulting back to needing administrator. 

I /am/ the administrator, on the admin account, and the folder is set to all access, but won't let me do anything with it, and keeps removing security options when I try to change them.

What else can I do to actually be the admin of that folder and the files in it and be able to acutally move it, or at least delete the partial upload?

Windows 8.1, btw.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:37 PM

See if enabling the hidden Administrator (Super User) account will let you move the files. Make sure you also close the Dropbox client if you use that.

Press the Windows key + X and select CMD (as admin). Type the following. 

net user administrator /active:yes

Logout and you should see the Administrator Account. If not then reboot. If it cannot move files using the account then disable it using

net user administrator /active:no

#3 thewayshemoves

thewayshemoves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:00 PM

That did it.  Thanks so much!  Didn't even know there was a hidden account like that.  Was able to set the security like I needed, and get the upload taken care of.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:15 PM

Your Welcome

Glad that worked for you and thanks for the update.

And Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users