Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista 32-bit laptop, programs have stopped working...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Weeks

Chris Weeks

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:06 PM

Hi

I own a Sony Vaio laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit. 

Yesterday morning I started experiencing a problem loading iTunes.

At first iTunes just stopped loading, no error messages, just shows up in processes when trying to open it, then a 'Windows Problem Reporting' process flashes up and iTunes disappears.

I thought it was just one of many glitches with iTunes, but after countless attempts to try and do full/clean un/reinstall(s) with various versions, to no avail, I realised there's something else going on.

I ran all my anti-spyware/virus/malware programs, nothing major showed up, generally clean, just some adware tracing cookies.

Programs were: Avast Anti-Virus, Malwarebytes & SuperAntiSpyware. 

I've also run Combofix, but the log is a little beyond my comprehension, it does seem to show up some 'nasties'. 

I then gave up on iTunes as I needed to crack on with work, so I went to open Photoshop...

Now that has stopped working as well!

Same thing as with iTunes, shows up in processes on initial loading, then 'Windows Problem Reporting' process flashes up and it vanishes.

This is also happening with 'MusicBee', a new program I installed to try and replace iTunes.

I have tried a System Restore, but I couldn't go back any further than yesterday, thanks to all the un/reinstall(s) of iTunes.

I'm a little stuck as to what to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking to replace the laptop in the New Year, but I really need it for these last few days of 2015.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 06:48 PM

As a simple fix try running 'SFC /scannow' from an elevated command prompt. If you have corrupted system files, which sounds very possible, this may very well fix them.

To do this, click 'Start - All programs - Accessories'. You will then see 'Command prompt'. RIGHT click on this and select 'Run as administrator'. A black window with white text will now open. Type 'sfc /scannow' at the cursor then press 'Enter'. NOTE there is a space between 'sfc' and /scannow' and do NOT type the quotation marks !

It should now run, it may say it needs you to re-boot first in which case re-boot and it will run. Let it run until it has finished. Depending on your processor and your hard drive this can take 45 - 60 minutes and when it has finished, re-boot and see if things are working again.

If they are, great. If they aren't, post back and further action can be considered.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Chris Weeks

Chris Weeks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:52 AM

Cheers Chris; trying it now... will get back to you;)

#4 Chris Weeks

Chris Weeks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:08 AM

So I ran sfc /scannow

No re-boot needed.

It told me: "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them"

It then mentions the CBS log, but I was unable to get into it to read it, said 'Access Denied'.

I tried restarting and then loading Photoshop, but still not working.

Edited by Chris Weeks, 20 December 2015 - 08:47 AM.

#5 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:22 AM

will it run okay in safe mode?

#6 Chris Weeks

Chris Weeks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:46 AM

No, same thing happens in Safe Mode. Most peculiar.

#7 Chris Weeks

Chris Weeks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:41 PM

Well, I just ran a few more scans, HouseCall & Dr.Web CureIt!; recommended by Bleeping Computer. A couple of things were found. One was a rootkit called 'NULL', marked under 'Hidden Files', now removed. The other flagged CodeMeter.exe as a possible threat and quarantined it. I've also run Stinger from McAfee, which found nothing. 

I rebooted after each scan. I then tried opening Photoshop, again, no joy, same issue.

The strange thing about all this is that it's only iTunes & Photoshop that seem to be affected. (oh, and Music Bee, a recent download).

Everything else is working as normal!

It just so happens that iTunes & Photoshop are the two programs I need to use the most right now. Typical.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:51 PM

As I am sure you know, there are more ways than one to skin a cat and in Windows more ways than one to open a program !

(1)  Double click a desktop icon;

(2) Click 'Start - All programs - the one you want';

(3) Double click on the 'EXE file in windows Explorer;

(4) Right click on the 'EXE file in Windows Explorer then click 'Open' in the pop-up menu.

Do none of these work for you ?  it is really weird that it is just these three programs that are giving you this problem. I think I would uninstall Musicbee just as a temporary measure to see if this is the cause of the problem, unlikely but possible. There is also a BC tutorial on repairing Vista which you can find here -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/

I also do not like the hints in your posts that you may also be suffering malware. If none of the above work for you I think your best bet is to start a topic in the 'Am I infected?' section of BC. Give the basic details on  you computer and your OS, a description of what you have tried and take it from there and as a reference copy/paste in the URL from this topic.

If you do decide to go the 'Am I infected?' route, I would be grateful if you would put a post here saying so. I will then lock this topic as having two topics open on the one problem is a certain cause for confusion. You will be welcome to come back and start a new topic here should it not be malware.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 Chris Weeks

Chris Weeks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:10 PM

Thanks Chris. None of those opening options work. I find it baffling as to why it's only those programs that seem to be an issue.

MusicBee was installed a while after this problem started, as a temporary replacement for iTunes, so I doubt it has anything to do with it. I will uninstall it anyway, as it's currently as useless as iTunes;)

I've tried all you mentioned. Startup Repair showed no issues. Neither did some of the other options I tried.

I think all that's left is to go down the 'Am I infected?' route, and see if I can get any help there.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:41 PM

Since the OP has started a topic on this problem in 'Am I infected?', this topic is now locked.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users