Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tired of Routers Needing To Be Reset, Want One That's Stable

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 larrytxeast

larrytxeast

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 04:41 PM

I was joyous last month when I got a LinkSys router with a storage link. It had (and I stress HAD) been such a life changer, the way I could access the contents of my external hard drive anywhere in the house, it was great.

Now, that's over. I took a pipe wrench to the stupid thing because it kept having to be power-cycled from dropping off. Worse, when I brought it back up, it would take at least half an hour of tweaking to get the storage link working again. The Internet part would be restored quickly, but the storage link part took forever.

It happened again today, and after an entire HOUR of trying, it still absolutely REFUSED to work. I took a pipe wrench and busted it all to pieces. Good riddance. If you can't do the job, get out of my house.

I want a router with a storage link that DOES NOT EVER CRASH. I mean EVER. I don't care if all 4 Ethernet ports are being used for Internet, and 3 laptops are accessing the WiFI Internet and another is accessing the storage link AND it's 95'F in here--I DON'T CARE. I want the router to TAKE IT and keep on working ANYWAY. If it can't, I don't want it, I want absolutely nothing to do with it. (To be blunt, if they don't make a router like that, I would be 100% in favor of all routers being forcefully taken off the market until someone comes up with one.)

What is a GOOD router that, no matter what, will just keep on plugging along and TAKE IT? I don't care if it costs $500, I will buy it, I want equipment which WORKS, and works ALWAYS, absolutely NO EXCUSES, EVER.

Tips?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:46 PM

IMO the upper end Asus and Netgear are the best, I run a Netgear Nighthawk range is very good I can go across the street to my neighbors with my lap top.  They use my router when they are out for the summer.  Both a few extra bucks but well worth it.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users