Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

asus x550L not booting to windows.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,502 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 04:26 PM

Hey guys, on power on I am seeing the asus logo and a spinning wheel, that's as far as it gets. I tried pressing shift+f8 to go into recovery but that doesn't work, help please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:04 PM

See if you can get into Advanced Repair Options by using the power button. Edit: From there try a System Restore first. Then Startup Repair.

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  6. Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.
  7. Select Refresh your PC if you do not wish to erase data, or Reset your PC to erase all data and restore the system.
  8. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete recovery.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 December 2015 - 05:05 PM.

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,502 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:12 PM

Hmnn, all of a sudden I got into safe mode, anything I should do different from here John before I attempt your instructions?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:14 PM

If you got into safe mode then do not use my instructions. Try a System Restore first. 

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,502 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:24 PM

Man, I need to take a break, another laptop I am working on at the same time got into safe mode, sorry. Anyway, rebooting 3 times as you've suggested gave the automatic repair then restore option so I chose that, waiting to see what happens, get back to you.

#6 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,502 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:45 PM

After choosing the Restore option, all was showing was the logo screen then after a while it went to a green colored screen with the spinning wheel and the "please wait" on there. Would know if that's part of the restore process or how long should I wait?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:01 PM

Doing a System Restore should take no longer than 15 minutes. You can try Startup or Automatic Repair. There is the refresh option but any programs downloaded and installed other than Windows Apps would need to be reinstalled. You may want to check the hard drive status and recover any data if the HDD shows any signs of failing.

#8 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,502 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:07 PM

You can try Startup or Automatic Repair.

How can I do any of those since the only option i saw was to restore? No data or programs needs to be saved

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:31 PM

When you get to the Advanced Repair Screen using the power button System Restore is the only Option. There is nothing that says troubleshoot or advanced options? Does tapping F9 at boot give the factory reset option?

#10 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,502 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:37 PM

can't believe this, yes, tapping f9 did the trick, resetting the pc now. I'm sure you know that takes a long time so will let you know if all goes well, thanks.

#11 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,502 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:25 AM

Well, the reset was done [thanks] but now problem with browsers crashing, I can navigate around the pc fine and open any programs so it seems it only the browsers issue. I tried to run sfc /scannow via cmd prompt but getting this message "You must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility", help?

#12 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,502 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:30 AM

Please disregard previous post, I am running the scannow

#13 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,502 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:53 AM

Scannow did not produce anything but after running that scan the browsers seem stable now. I was thinking this HDD has issues, I ran a disk check and the optimize and defragment tool too but both showed ok. only other issue I am noticing now is that the volume keys at the top of the kb doesn't work but would that be software or hardware related?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:01 AM

I could not find the support site for the L, only the LA

Under 8.1 look for the ATK utility, for 8 look for it under the Utility section. ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities

#15 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,502 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:13 AM

It's win8, not understanding where to find the "utility" section?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users