Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My son downloaded trovi! Cannot access internet. Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Deez349849

Deez349849

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:27 PM

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site, but just wanted to see if anyone may have had a similar experience and possibly have some suggestions. My son got trovi, bundled with another freeware program. First it was just hijacking search bars and results. Also, it changed homepage settings to open trovi homepage instead. For a while the internet was still accessible, albeit loaded with annoying ads and other related issues. Problem is, now we cannot access the internet at all. Every browser opened says, SERVER NOT FOUND (Firefox,) THIS WEB PAGE IS NOT AVAILABLE-DNS_Probe_Finished_Bad Config (Chrome,) or THIS PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED (IE.) I have spoken with my ISP who has verified my connection is fine and all other devices connect both wirelessly as well as hard wired. My ISP directed me to HP support. HP support phone number directs me online which i cannot access. I've done some online research (different device,) and uninstalled all programs known to be associated with trovi, as well as any i can find from the date the root program was installed. Also i have reverted all browsers back to default settings (or at least i have tried, but am possibly missing something,) yet i am still receiving a dns error when attempting to access websites. Many forums And help sites suggest malware bytes, and other free programs which may work if i could download them in the first place. The Windows taskbar, with the computer monitor icon on bottom right, clearly states i have internet access. So my pc is reading the connection, yet something trovi has done is still blocking access. I would love any and all suggestions that do not include downloading something online. I am trying to avoid having to pay a third party to have the virus/harmful program removed. I consider myself quite computer literate, And could easily follow directions, but i am at my wit's end trying to go at this alone!! Thank you in advance for any and all replies.

EDIT: Moved topic to Malware Removal Logs forum where it will stay while I assist. ~bloopie

Edited by bloopie, 18 December 2015 - 07:09 PM.
Re-moved to Logs forum from Am I Infected

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Deez349849

Deez349849
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:30 PM

Sorry for the wall of text. Posted from my phone, and forgot to separate into readable paragraphs before sending. Cannot find an edit function to fix. Possibly due to mobile version.
Sorry for the wall of text. Posted from my phone, and forgot to separate into readable paragraphs before sending. Cannot find an edit function to fix. Possibly due to mobile version.

#3 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:58 PM

Hello Deez349849, and welcome to Bleeping Computer! :thumbsup:

My name is bloopie and I'll be helping you with your problems as best I can! :thumbup2:

A few things to keep in mind while we are working together:

• If you are unsure about any of the steps I provide, just post what you can and I will guide you!
  • Please let me know what version of Windows you are running (Windows Vista/7/8/10).
  • Please tell me if you have your original Windows Installation CD/DVD available.
  • Please do not run any other tools without my instruction to do so!

==========

Unfortunately we may need to bring some tools over to the infected machine at some point...do you have a flashdrive and access to another computer you can use to download tools?

==========

Are you familiar with booting the system into Safemode? If so, please boot the computer into Safemode with Networking and see if you have internet access that way. If so, please post back and let me know immediately.

==========

If you still do not have internet access in Safemode with Networking, then I'd like you to try the following (while still in Safemode with Networking):

From an Elevated Command Prompt (for Windows7/Vista for Windows8), type in the following (and pay close attention to any spaces, they need to be there):

ipconfig /flushdns

Then press Enter.

Next type in:

netsh winsock reset

Then press Enter.

Now reboot your computer normally and see if your internet works. If it does work now, please post back and let me know!

==========

If it still does not work, then we will need that flashdrive and other computer to download tools and transfer them over. Let me know when you have this, and we'll go from there. :)

bloopie

#4 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:02 PM

Please don't miss my last post!

I'm just posting here to let you know I have moved this topic to the Malware Removal Logs forum where it will stay and I will continue helping you here. :)

bloopie

Edited by bloopie, 18 December 2015 - 07:09 PM.

#5 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:38 PM

Hello again,

Do you still wish to receive assistance with this issue?

If so, please let me know within the next 48 hours!! Otherwise I will be forced to close this topic!

bloopie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users