Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 11 extremely high cpu usage

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Scomage

Scomage

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 02:43 PM

For some reason iexplore.exe consumes extremely high cpu resources.  Only IE and only cpu.  I have done a myriad of scans:

Roguekiller

TDSSKiller

ESET

Malwarebytes

Bitdefender

and none indicate a Trojan or rootkit.  I have also deactivated most extensions and followed dozens of articles on the net.  I know I am supposed to use Edge, but it lacks features that I want and has other limitations that make it cumbersome.  Likewise Chrome and other browsers react differently for many of the sites I use.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what to check?  Is anyone else having this issue with IE 11 on Windows 10?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ChuckPasadena

ChuckPasadena

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 01:16 AM

Open up your task manager when it's happening and right look at the details of whatever process is hogging the CPU assets and you'll find the culprit, I used to have similar problem myself but solved it when I discovered Flash created a wait chain issue that consumed more and more processing power in trying to resolve the issue while maintaining the system functions that needed to remain running,

#3 Scomage

Scomage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:14 PM

I have already been checking the task manager.  It is always iexplore using the cpu.  See the attached screen shot.  I don't know how to determine what causes the cpu spike.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 02:07 PM

Can't see a screen shot.

What happens when you use another browser?

If you don't have one, try Firefox or Chrome - both are free.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Scomage

Scomage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 02:38 PM

Other browsers work with no extra cpu, but as I said in the original post, IE works better on some sites and I am also concerned that there is something else going on.  I attached a jpg screen shot to my original reply.  Maybe just not approved yet by admin?

IE tasks all show very similar command line:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" SCODEF:7668 CREDAT:206123 /prefetch:2

I often have 4 or more processes active.  After a fresh startup everything usually is fine.  However, at some point one or more processes start using 30 or more % of the cpu.  If I kill an offending process, one or more others start eating cpu.

#6 Scomage

Scomage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:53 AM

So far no runaway processes this morning.  I will monitor and advise.

Two questions:

1. I was using the iGoogle start page when it was available.  I really liked it and had it customized with some interest applets (comics/chess problem, etc) and also a links applet that had most of the places I had to go just a click away.  When iGoogle was discontinued, I switched to ighome.com.  There are ads at the bottom which initially suck up cpu, but settle down as soon as they are loaded.  Is there any way to disallow flash on a specific url?  This way I could keep the functionality of the home page, stop the myriad of flash objects from sucking up the cpu, and have the best of both worlds.  I know I could just write my own start page, but that is like work.

2. I have set IE to be the default browser for all options and it works fine -- except for clicking a url in a document or email.  No matter how many times I check the box to "Always use this app", I get the "How do you want to open this?" dialog.  I have verified all the settings in default apps and everywhere else I can think to check.  If I select chrome, the default sticks.  Only IE will not stay.  Is this just MS trying to force Edge down our throats, or is there maybe a registry setting that can be changed?

I will keep an eye on the cpu today.  If it behaves, then we will need to determine which extension is causing the issue.

Thanks.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:26 PM

If no one else posts a suggestion, I have no ideas.

I'd suggest posting over in the Web Browsing forums for more expert assistance:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/14/web-browsingemail-and-other-internet-applications/

I recently saw an old technique in one of the topics here that I'd forgotten.  Can't recall the topic, but I'd like to thank the poster for posting it (which reminded me of it).
Try running IE without add-ons.  You can do this in the Run dialog by typing "iexplore -extoff" (without the quotes) and then pressing Enter.

If it doesn't have problems, then you can disable the extensions one-by-one until you find the culprit.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users