Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

chrome privacy problems. deleting history. help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 computerrookie2

computerrookie2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 02:42 PM

i hope this is in the right place,if not please let me know. this is my first post on the site. thanks

so the other day i was at someone else's house,i used their computer to check my emails,logged out. when i opened chrome at my house the next day i was surprised to see THEIR bookmarks and some of their history on my screen at MY house. to be honest it scared me cause if i can see their stuff,that means surely they can see my history and book marks on THEIR computer,correct? i wasn't aware this could happen just by checking my email.i wasn't signed into chrome and don't think i have ever been signed into chrome fully.  i deleted their bookmarks from my bookmark tab so i think those are gone now. i quickly deleted all my bookmarks and deleted my history,and after some research i un-synced every tab on my computer. my question now is can they see my stuff??? can they still see my history ? if i deleted history on MY HOME computer can they still see it on their computer? do i need to delete from their computer as well? or is deleting it from my comp take care of my info on their computer as well?

i also at one point deleted and re-installed chrome. one last question,when i re-installed chrome and clicked on the history tab i found all my internet explorer history on there...i never imported favorites/history or anything. why does it auto load/import all my stuff with out asking me? seems like a privacy issue. i never fully signed into chrome before all this happend. i usually just check my email and thats it. bottom line is i don't want people seeing my history and things without my consent. which i believe is a fair thing to want. 

thanks in advance and i look forward to speaking with you guys on this issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,822 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 02:58 PM

The only way that what you describe can conceivably happen is if you were logged in to Chrome at both locations and it's doing it's usual thing of syncing bookmarks and other stuff.

See this page or search Google Chrome Help for sync.  This does not happen "by magic" and it requires that you are logged in to Chrome itself, and under the same user ID at both locations.  You can be logged into gmail or other e-mail accounts within Chrome until the cows come home, but settings only sync if you are logged into Chrome itself since that's what allows Chrome to link your settings together.

I have known people who've logged in to Chrome at one time and forgot to log out of Chrome.  Those logins tend to hang around "forever" so you've got to be conscious of logging out of Chrome when you do log in.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 computerrookie2

computerrookie2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:04 PM

thanks for the reply. thats the thing,i never logged into chrome just my gmail. ive since unchecked all the sync boxes here on my computer...and at the time,i did sign out of my gmail at their house. i guess i want to know,since ive deleted my history here on my computer at home,will it also delete my hisotry on their computer as well? or will they still be able to see it since its on a different computer?

#4 computerrookie2

computerrookie2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:06 PM

do i need to delete history on their computer too? or by deleting everything on my computer take care of it on their computer as well?

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,822 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:14 PM

You will almost certainly have to make your changes on the other computer if you were not logged in to Chrome on yours when you made them there.

Again, it is impossible for sync to occur across devices unless you are logged in to Chrome.  It doesn't have to be you, either, it just has to be the same person with the same Chrome ID logged in on both machines.  It is only through synchronization via a Chrome account that stuff "magically appears" across devices.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#6 computerrookie2

computerrookie2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:21 PM

thanks brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users