Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Situation

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dstoneh

dstoneh

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:12 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/596389/unable-to-initialize-disk/page-0 - Hamluis.

\

Hi Im having a VERY similar issue. I would lke to try to follow what you mentioned as a solution however Im worried Ill lose the data on the disk. Here are all relevent pictures to my issue if anyone can help. The Seagte listed is my new HDD. Same model and brand. So it my old one SHOULD appear like that one from what I understand, or at least have similar properties being shown. Its not showing up in Partition Wizard or testdisk but Is showing up in my devices and under disk management (although not correctly in either it would appear).

http://imgur.com/a/ixhUx

Edited by hamluis, 18 December 2015 - 02:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 leafwarbler

leafwarbler

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 01:56 AM

Hi Im having a VERY similar issue. I would lke to try to follow what you mentioned as a solution however Im worried Ill lose the data on the disk. Here are all relevent pictures to my issue if anyone can help. The Seagte listed is my new HDD. Same model and brand. So it my old one SHOULD appear like that one from what I understand, or at least have similar properties being shown. Its not showing up in Partition Wizard or testdisk but Is showing up in my devices and under disk management (although not correctly in either it would appear).

it is so strange. you can see it on disk management but can not see it on minitool partition wizard. So, what is your system? Is your computer bios or uefi?

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:03 AM

This is an external USB drive, correct? Can you post a screenshot of Disk Management? Have you tried attaching to another computer, a different USB port?

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 December 2015 - 11:14 AM.

#4 dstoneh

dstoneh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:43 AM

Sorry I had been without internet the past few months. ALL relevant photos are in the imgur link In posted. The issue still persists. IDK what the difference is for bios or uefi, its whatever it came as. Its a HP Pavilion g series. Its not just this particular device. Its not the shell. Its not the cable. I have tried different cables. I have tried different HDD in the shell with those cables and they work fine. And I have tried on multiple computers. It powers up. It just isnt detected properly.

#5 dstoneh

dstoneh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:23 AM

And to add, it doesnt show up in Partition Wizard. IDK the mod, split it from the above link. My issue is different apparently

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,602 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 08:01 AM

Thanks for clarifying further the problem. 

Firstly, Scan your drive with Partition Wizard using the Partition Recovery tool. If Quick scanning the drive finds nothing then do the full scan which can take a long time. If it finds any of your partitions highlight each and double click. Does it show your files? If it does then put a check mark to only the partitions it finds that list files when you double click the partition found. Click Finish then Apply. If partition wizard does find any partitions please post a screenshot before attempting recovery.

Have you tried to mount the drive in linux. See this guide on using Parted Magic. You can get the iso here.

You may need to pull the data using Data Recovery Software such as Easeus Data Recovery. It allows up to 2GB free to see if the program works for you. It will scan the disk and look for your files. 

Another option is the free PhotoRec but it recovers files with Generic names with the proper extensions. You would need to rename your files recovered. PhotoRec recovers files in real time to the folder you unzipped the program to. You would need at least the amount of free space on the hard drive as what data you are trying to recover. But, because the recovery is in realtime, you can pull the data using another external drive while the recovery is ongoing if you do not have the space. If you have another external with similar capacity start PhotoRec from a folder on that drive and the data will be recovered to it.

#7 dstoneh

dstoneh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 08:19 AM

In full scan it only gives the normal hard drive. Easeus showed something, but it was just something for font. Its a 1tb hd with over 500 gb used. It wont even initialise so I assume thats part of the issue.

Edited by dstoneh, 24 April 2016 - 08:19 AM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,602 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:09 AM

If you cannot pull data using Easeus I believe your only option would be to consult a professional data recovery service which is not cheap. Approx $800 and up. One of the better ones is DriveSavers

#9 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 788 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:02 AM

Get the free trial of http://www.hdtune.com , install it, and run it.  Select the St1000LM drive and then look at the Health tab.  If the data column of (05) Reallocated sector count or (C5) Pending is anything but 0 (zero), you found your problem; the drive is failing.  If you want what is on it, the next step is to get another 1TB drive and to clone (SECTOR-BY-SECTOR!!!) the failing drive to the replacement and to then work on it.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users