Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD almost completely full while it should have 17GB free

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 slowshootin

slowshootin

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 01:50 PM

Hello, 

I was checking up on my computers free space and i saw something rather strange.

My SSD which i am using for my OS and some other programs, has decided that it has only 4,5GB of space free.

When i select all the maps inside of the SSD it only shows 38,6 GB. So there should be 56 GB free but it says there isn't.

nDrhWIO.png?1

Anyone knows a reason and maybe solution to fix this.

Slowshootin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 02:15 PM

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/delete-restore-point#1TC=windows-7

#3 slowshootin

slowshootin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 06:26 AM

Hello drillingmachine,

I tried the method you gave but this did not work for me.

Got anything else?

Slowshootin

#4 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 06:41 AM

You cannot just select all folders inside the drive and check the space that they are using, because there are some folders and files that is hidden, and can only be seen if you configure windows explorer to show it.

First please disable hibernate and see if you gain any space. Open command prompt as admin, run the command:

powercfg -h off

Next please download TreeSize Free from here, install and run it as admin, click on scan tab, and select your drive. Post of screenshot of the result.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#5 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:00 AM

You can easily check what is taking up space by pressing alt when you have selected the explorer window, then click tools -> Folder options.  Go to view tab.  Show hidden files, folders or drives, untick hide protected operating system files (Recommended).  Click apply then you can try select everything.  I highly do not recommend keeping these options selected.

If you wish to get more space available, you can just open the start menu, type Disk Cleanup, then run it on the selected disk.  This can clear up a lot of wasted space in use by Microsoft (although may cause files to download again).

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:19 AM

17gb, huh. How much ram do you have?
If you have 16gb of ram, me thinks this could be a swap partition.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users