Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forced to enter password when waking up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jeaniev

jeaniev

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:56 AM

Windows 10 was forcing me to enter a password every time the computer booted up. I ran netplwiz, unchecked the box that said password was required, entered my password twice, then I shut down the computer (not just a restart, a complete shutdown).  When I turned it back on it didn't ask for a password. But then after it was idle for awhile, when I woke it up it wanted a password again. How do I get rid of that?  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 12:01 PM

Use the link in Control Panel -> Power Options related to requiring a password.  If that doesn't fix it I don't know what will.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 jeaniev

jeaniev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 12:12 PM

Brian, Thank you!  That seems to have worked.  It would be nice if all the password options were put in one place but that would make it all too easy.  

A related question - I have 8.1 on my laptop and am thinking of upgrading to 10.  In trying to figure out how to turn off the password on my husband's computer I came across a bunch of posts from people who had disabled the password on windows 7 or 8, then upgraded and 10 wanted their password and they were effectively locked out.  Do you know anything about that? Do you think I should turn password back on before upgrading?  And then there was a problem with that - when I first set up my laptop, it asked me all sorts of questions, including for me to enter my email and password. It didn't say it wanted a microsoft password.  So I entered my Yahoo information. Then I couldn't get to the App Store because I didn't have a microsoft account.  Took me and a tech a couple of hours to figure that out. He finally had to create a second user on my computer to be able to access the app store and download 8.1.  Do you think this is going to cause big problems when I upgrade?  

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 12:53 PM

Brian, Thank you!  That seems to have worked.  It would be nice if all the password options were put in one place but that would make it all too easy.

I have to say that this is always where I've set the "ask for password upon waking from sleep" option (which I always have as off).  

A related question - I have 8.1 on my laptop and am thinking of upgrading to 10.  In trying to figure out how to turn off the password on my husband's computer I came across a bunch of posts from people who had disabled the password on windows 7 or 8, then upgraded and 10 wanted their password and they were effectively locked out.  Do you know anything about that? Do you think I should turn password back on before upgrading?

It's a simple matter to go into User Accounts and to remove password protection on accounts, and I would do so before upgrading. Once you do this make sure that you can log in to each and every account just by clicking on its respective icon and not get prompted for a password before you upgrade. Then, if passwords are really desired, put them back on after the upgrade.

I have yet to upgrade a machine that has local accounts on it. The Windows 8 machine I most recently upgraded to Windows 10 had a single account that was already linked to a Microsoft Account.

Your Microsoft Account can use any e-mail address you wish to give it. Mine uses a gmail address.

And then there was a problem with that - when I first set up my laptop, it asked me all sorts of questions, including for me to enter my email and password. It didn't say it wanted a microsoft password.  So I entered my Yahoo information. Then I couldn't get to the App Store because I didn't have a microsoft account.

I don't know exactly what you did, but I do know that it is possible to create your Microsoft account with the e-mail address of your choice as part of the Windows 10 upgrade/install sequence if you don't already have one. You must have a Microsoft Account in order to use any of the Microsoft Services, which includes the App Store and all other services listed in the Microsoft Services Agreement.

Took me and a tech a couple of hours to figure that out. He finally had to create a second user on my computer to be able to access the app store and download 8.1.  Do you think this is going to cause big problems when I upgrade?

Is one of the user accounts on that machine currently one that uses a full e-mail address and password that is linked to a Microsoft Account? If that's the case I don't see why you'd have a problem. In fact, for that style of user account I don't think one can remove password, but I'm not absolutely certain about that.

When I updated my laptop (from which I'm typing at this moment) from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 it had a single account on it, mine, that is linked to a Microsoft Account and for which I must enter a password to log in. I had no problems at all with this, which is unsurprising since Windows 8.1 uses essentially the same login in the same way unless you're using a local account.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users