Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OpenDNS

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Scott Stoef

Scott Stoef

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:06 AM

I want to get everyone's opinion of setting up a OpenDNS on my home router.  Has anyone does this and does it help keep the kiddos out of bad places?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:21 AM

OpenDNS is not going to protect your children from bad sites unless you pay for the service. OpenDNS is now part of Cisco and it looks like they are changing their focus to enterprise. Take a look at the free K9 parent filter. I believe this is what you are looking for.

http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

Edit: I was wrong. It does look like OpenDNS offers a free service for Web Protection.

https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/

Edit Edit: One thing to note, if you have a dynamic IP address that changes which most people do you will need to download additional software for OpenDNS. You can call your ISP fo find out if you have a dynamic or Static IP.

Also, if you have dynamic IP, don’t forget to download the IP Updater client (download for Windows and Mac OS X) after you add a network. You only need to download it on your (the account holder) machine, and it will ensure your settings remain in effect if your IP changes

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 December 2015 - 11:29 AM.

#3 asdfadsf

asdfadsf

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2016 - 11:34 AM

i think it's a no-brainer to use this, especially since it's free. I'd never heard of it until I went to work last year for a major law firm that uses the enterprise version, and it's incredibly effective. It will return an OpenDNS IP for ransomware command-and-control servers. So far, most of the ransomware out there queries for some randomly-generated domain, so as long as Cisco has already tagged that domain as associated with malware, it'll return a safe IP & the ransomware won't encrypt. That may change at some point, but so far so good.

#4 TwinHeadedEagle

TwinHeadedEagle

• Security Colleague
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 01:11 PM

Running third-party dns service is always a good idea. Most popular ones are OpenDNS and Google DNS. People mostly install them for more added security and they sometimes contain security features that haven't been implemented by many ISPs. Third-party DNS can sometimes speed up your internet experience too.

Edited by TwinHeadedEagle, 02 April 2016 - 01:18 PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 03 April 2016 - 06:17 PM

How to Switch to OpenDNS or Google DNS to Speed Up Web Browsing

Another perspective: Avoid OpenDNS Free DNS Service Like The Plague
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016