Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Keeps Freezing

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Jangus

Jangus

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 12:06 AM

Hi, how's it going.

I recently (a month and a half ago) bought a new computer (i7 6700, Z170, GTX980, 750W PSU, Windows 10) which was built by the place I bought it from. After about a week of having it and having multiple browser tabs open and a game the PC would freeze, where I could see what was last displayed before the freeze but couldn't interact with it in any way- task manager etc. Only way to fix it was to hold in the power button to turn it off. On reboot the PC beeped one short beep, which as far as I can tell is it telling me everything's alright. Anyway, after this happened a couple of times over a few days it wouldn't turn back on. I then took it back to the place I bought it from and they diagnosed it as a MB issue. So they sent it back to the manufacturer and 3 weeks later I get my computer back. Relieved to finally have the PC back I was extremely disgruntled to have the same issue still present, with the PC having frozen twice with the exact same symptoms over a two day period.

Rather than return the PC and probably have to wait 5 weeks, with Christmas holidays coming up, I thought I'd check with you guys, because I'd much rather resolve the issue here and now.

Thanks a lot!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 05:57 AM

Way, way outta my league :(

I'd suggest letting the experts in the Internal Hardware forum have a look at this:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 06:47 PM

I will jump in here with some advice. If this unit is still under warranty, I would box it up and take it back. At this point, yes, we could start a diagnosis process, but do not let your warranty expire or you are up a tree without a ladder. In addition, check what will invalidate your warranty or not. Some manufacturers get really persnickety if you go digging inside the box while still under warranty. Check it out, and if you still want to continue post back. Just make sure you don't lose your warranty.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 Jangus

Jangus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:49 AM

Way, way outta my league :(

I'd suggest letting the experts in the Internal Hardware forum have a look at this:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

Too bad- just I wasn't entirely sure what was causing the issue, so thought I'd put the thread here to begin. If a solution can't be found here would it be easiest to transfer the thread to another forum section?

I will jump in here with some advice. If this unit is still under warranty, I would box it up and take it back. At this point, yes, we could start a diagnosis process, but do not let your warranty expire or you are up a tree without a ladder. In addition, check what will invalidate your warranty or not. Some manufacturers get really persnickety if you go digging inside the box while still under warranty. Check it out, and if you still want to continue post back. Just make sure you don't lose your warranty.

Hey mate, thanks for the response! Yea, it'll be under warranty for the next 10 months. And I did take it back to the store at first to get the issue fixed and they reportedly fixed it, but same issue happened again; and whilst I will take it back to them a second time if all else fails, I'd rather not have to worry about them potentially not fixing it again and having to find a new computer with the refund. In regards to the warranty, the only things that will invaildate the warranty is if I cause damage/ break the components within the machine. So yea, if you could help me out it'd be very much appreciated.

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:24 AM

In the absence of any other suggestions......

Find your graphics card name and number....and go to the manufacturers site for the latest driver. Download and install it.

If no joy there.....Reset Windows 10.

Resetting lets you choose whether to keep your files or remove them, and then reinstalls Windows. To get started, go to Settings > Update & security > Reset this PC > Get started and choose an option.

If you choose to keep your files...

• Reinstalls Windows 10 and keeps your personal files.

• Removes apps and drivers you installed.

• Removes changes you made to settings.

• Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)

if you choose Not to keep your files..

• Reinstalls Windows 10 and removes all your personal files.

• Removes apps and drivers you installed.

• Removes changes you made to settings.

• Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 Jangus

Jangus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:12 AM

In the absence of any other suggestions......

Find your graphics card name and number....and go to the manufacturers site for the latest driver. Download and install it.

I've installed the latest driver. I'll wait a day or two, see if anything happens, and report back.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:52 AM

Condobloke has a good suggestion. Just be aware that if some system files are missing you will be prompted to insert your Windows 10 installation disk. If your retailer did not give you that but only provided an OEM licensed, pre-installed version (typical of most commercial retailers like Dell, HP, Acer, etc.) you cannot complete the reset. In addition, if it is a faulty piece of equipment that is causing the problems that whole procedure will not solve the issue.

We can step through a system diagnosis procedure, so if you want to do that post back. I will check in with this thread occasionally for the next week or so.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 Jangus

Jangus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:21 AM

Condobloke has a good suggestion. Just be aware that if some system files are missing you will be prompted to insert your Windows 10 installation disk. If your retailer did not give you that but only provided an OEM licensed, pre-installed version (typical of most commercial retailers like Dell, HP, Acer, etc.) you cannot complete the reset. In addition, if it is a faulty piece of equipment that is causing the problems that whole procedure will not solve the issue.

We can step through a system diagnosis procedure, so if you want to do that post back. I will check in with this thread occasionally for the next week or so.

Updating the drivers didn't help unfortunately, so how would I go about doing a system diagnosis? If a system diagnosis doesn't help I'll reset windows.

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 01:26 PM

Ok, just so I have an idea of the current situation:

>  Do you still boot into W10, but occasionally the system hangs? or does the unit not boot at all now? Can you regularly get the POST screen on boot?

>  Do you get the system beep when you boot?

>  If there is a laser light on the bottom of your mouse, does it glow when you boot?

>  Since this is a custom built unit, please use Speccy (free) to make a loadout log of your system. After installation click on the shortcut. Give it a few seconds to analyze your system, then click as follows: File \Publish Shapshot \Yes.  Copy the link that appears and paste it in your next post. In addition, please note the Motherboard section in the log, and make sure that the name of the manufacturer of your motherboard is there. If not (sometimes these board are generic) see if any of your documentation names the manufacturer of the motherboard. The retailer that put your unit together did not make the motherboard, they purchased it and it helps to know the name of the actual manufacturer.

Let's take it this far for now.

[EDIT]: additional note on Speccy; when you install, there will be an option to install additional toolbars and whatnot. DISable this checkbox, you don't need that junk.

Edited by ranchhand_, 22 December 2015 - 01:33 PM.

#10 Jangus

Jangus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 09:44 PM

>  Do you still boot into W10, but occasionally the system hangs? or does the unit not boot at all now? Can you regularly get the POST screen on boot?

Before I took it back to the place I bought it the PC would sometimes hang and I'd have to hold in the power button and retsart it to get it working. The unit has booted 100% fine since I got it back. I never see the POST screen on boot.

>  Do you get the system beep when you boot?

Yep, I always get a single beep on bootup.

>  If there is a laser light on the bottom of your mouse, does it glow when you boot?

There is a light on the bottom of the mouse, however it doesn't glow on boot.

>  Since this is a custom built unit, please use Speccy (free) to make a loadout log of your system. After installation click on the shortcut. Give it a few seconds to analyze your system, then click as follows: File \Publish Shapshot \Yes.  Copy the link that appears and paste it in your next post. In addition, please note the Motherboard section in the log, and make sure that the name of the manufacturer of your motherboard is there. If not (sometimes these board are generic) see if any of your documentation names the manufacturer of the motherboard. The retailer that put your unit together did not make the motherboard, they purchased it and it helps to know the name of the actual manufacturer.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/4Xq3WoLUmzmBPQhIbBbftbY

Thanks for your assistance so far!

Edited by Jangus, 22 December 2015 - 09:49 PM.

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:38 AM

Ok, so your complaint is random freezes, requiring hard reset in order to get back up and running. Right? Usually your computer boots and loads Windows with no problem.

Let's test your memory.

I see that you have two RAM SIMMS (aka "sticks") of memory. We will test each one at a time.

>  Download the (free) zip file (2nd from the top) ISO of Memtest86+ and burn to a CD.

>  Make sure your BIOS is set to CD = 1st Boot Device, HDD = 2nd Boot Device.

Reboot with the CD in your drive. Allow it to run until you get a message at the bottom of the screen that testing is complete (about 20 minutes). Any red posts at the bottom of the screen means that memory stick is bad.

Test only one (1) stick at a time; IOW, remove the stick in slot #2, run Memtest. Now remove the stick in slot #1 and insert the stick you removed (fom #2) into #1 and run Memtest again.

If Memtest will not run or you get error messages, let me know.

If you have any questions on how to do the above, post back.

By the way, you seem to have an unusually large number of Canon MG3100 printer drivers; have you ever had any problems with your printer?

Also...I see that you have hibernation enabled for your computer; please turn that off for our testing purposes, you can re-enable it after we are done. I have seen Hibernation do some strange things occasionally, and I want nothing to interfere with this testing.

Edited by ranchhand_, 23 December 2015 - 09:43 AM.

#12 Jangus

Jangus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 11:07 AM

Ok, did what you said and in passed twice without any errors. When I booted on the second test, after reinserting the RAM I had removed, the PC beeped at me a fair bit, but I think it was because it wasn't inserted properly. Readjusted it and it worked fine. Probably useless information but thought I'd include it anyways.

I've recently changed the ink cartgriges, but apart from that nothing out of the ordinary. And before running the tests I disabled hibernation.

But looks like it's not the RAM, unfortunately.

#13 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:36 PM

ooks like it's not the RAM, unfortunately

No, that's good! ..and it is one more thing that we know for sure that the problem isn't. :cowboy:

Let's test your drives next (excluding the optical drive).

I see that you have 3 drives, 2 SSD and one HDD. I want you to test one drive at a time by unplugging the power or data cable to the two not being tested. That leaves only one functional drive at a time. I know that Speccy checked the SMART test and all came up as good, but this test goes a lot deeper and takes a lot more time.

Go here and download Seatools For DOS (free)
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Accept the EULA and download the ISO file.
When download is complete burn the ISO to a CD or DVD.
Make sure your BIOS is set to:   1st Boot Device = CD drive, 2nd Boot Device = Hard Drive.

Disconnect 2 of the drives leaving one connected. Rotate the drives as you test 1X1.

Mount the Seatools disk in your DVD player and reboot. Accept the EULA and disclaimer of responsibility screens.
When the program opens, click the upper left corner for the Long Test.
> Note: if you get a pop-up window telling you that SMART has tripped and asking if you want to continue, choose Yes. Be sure to post that in your next reply along with the result of the test.
At the end of the test, you will get either a Pass or Fail notice. Post the result in your next reply.
Be sure to have your hard drive directly installed internally to the motherboard, not in an external case.

Be patient, to do 3 drives is going to take a long time.

Post back with results.

#14 Jangus

Jangus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:19 AM

Hey mate. Sorry I took so long to reply, but had holiday celebrations and all that. Anyways, so I installed the software onto the disk and booted it and it ran fine. Only issue is is that it failed to find any drives. I tried each of the drives individually and then all of them together and no change; I simply removed the SATA cables from drives not being tested so I don't think I stuffed anything up there, so something funky's going on? Also, I failed to notice until now but in the BIOS the HDD isn't presented as an option at all to boot from- is that normal?

#15 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:46 PM

No problem; occasionally things happen; my area just had 50+ mile per hour winds and a 40 ft. tree went down in my back yard. Been finding a tree service to remove it.

I had the same thing happen with Seatools for the first time recently on a unit, and I suspect that the UEFI BIOS and Secure Boot may have something to do with it. Not sure. Your HDD registered with Speccy and SMART had not tripped. Why Memtest 86+ will run but Seatools will not is a mystery I don't have an answer for.

I failed to notice until now but in the BIOS the HDD isn't presented as an option at all to boot from- is that normal?

I would like to avoid disabling UEFI if possible; go back to the Seatools link I lposted above, but this time download Seatools for Windows save to your desktop (or wherever you usually do). Click on the file and follow prompt to install, and run in on your drive. Hopefully UEFI will not prevent it from running this time. Post back with results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users