Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Menu, Cortana and Taskbar not working in Windows 10?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:06 AM

For starters are you signing on to your computer with a Microsoft email account.  There are a number of features that will not work unless you do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 dabink

dabink

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 01:08 AM

Thanks for your possible solutions, however:
@Freebooter I have tried this powershell command without success

@jfruch1 at this point I can't login to any account except admin and it takes forever to bootup

#18 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:00 PM

You can try Clean Boot state maybe then you can login to your account.

Create yourself a new user account and see issue still present in the new user account if not then your user account is damage.

You should do repair install like i advice you to do so, it only takes half an hour or little more time depends on have fast your computer is, you wont lose nothing even your setting and applications after repair install Widows 10.

Posted Image

#19 rbmiller40

rbmiller40

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:38 PM

I am having this same issue, and it sure seems that there are many fixes available, but none of them seem to work for me, or you need a degree to do it. Isn't there a simpler way? Or someone who is willing to walk me thru the fix? I feel soooo lost! I used to think I was somewhat computer savvy until now!!

#20 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:11 PM

I am having this same issue, and it sure seems that there are many fixes available, but none of them seem to work for me, or you need a degree to do it. Isn't there a simpler way? Or someone who is willing to walk me thru the fix? I feel soooo lost! I used to think I was somewhat computer savvy until now!!

Yes i can help you tell me what you want me to explain to you or work you through it. Also we need to know which actions you have took so far to repair the issue.

Posted Image

#21 rbmiller40

rbmiller40

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:56 PM

Well, I guess I have even a bigger problem now as I went to reboot it and I got the "bootmgr missing" error. And I don't have a CD to start it with. Not good! Any ideas of what I can do now?

#22 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:03 PM

Well, I guess I have even a bigger problem now as I went to reboot it and I got the "bootmgr missing" error. And I don't have a CD to start it with. Not good! Any ideas of what I can do now?

If you have another working PC you can create a bootable Windows 10 USB or DVD with Windows 10 Media Creation Tool  .
Follow instructions at Microsoft to resolve Bootmgr missing error.

Windows error message "Bootmgr is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2622803

Posted Image

#23 rbmiller40

rbmiller40

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:51 PM

Okay, will try that. I appreciate all your help so far though! Can you still help me if I need it? Feeling rather reluctant at this point.

Thanks again

#24 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:53 PM

Okay, will try that. I appreciate all your help so far though! Can you still help me if I need it? Feeling rather reluctant at this point.

Thanks again

You are very welcome.
Yes i will help you when ask by you i will check this thread time to time to see you have any questions for me.

Edited by FreeBooter, 16 February 2016 - 09:54 PM.

Posted Image

#25 rbmiller40

rbmiller40

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:19 PM

Gee, that didn't take very long eh?  I downloaded the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, but when I tried to run it I got this error message...

wimgapi.dll is missing from my computer, try reinstalling to fix this problem

Thanks

#26 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:51 AM

I will write down steps for you to follow to troubleshoot wimgapi.dll missing error make sure follow the steps one at time.

Microsoft is constantly updating and improving Windows system files that could be associated with wimgapi.dll. Sometimes resolving your DLL problems may be as simple as updating Windows with the latest Service Pack or other patch that Microsoft releases on an ongoing basis.

To check for Windows Updates (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10):

1. Click the Start Menu button.
  2. Type "update" into the search box and hit ENTER.
  3. The Windows Update dialog box will appear.
  4. Check for updates and if updates are available, click the Install Updates button.

System File Checker is a vital tool included with Windows. It allows you to scan for file corruption and restore Windows system files such as wimgapi.dll.

To run System File Checker (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10):

2. Type "cmd.exe" in the search box... DO NOT hit ENTER yet!
  3. While holding CTRL-Shift on your keyboard, hit ENTER.
  4. You will be prompted with a permission dialog box.
  5. Click Yes.
  6. A black box will open with a blinking cursor.
  7. Type "sfc /scannow" and hit ENTER.
  8. System File Checker will begin scanning for wimgapi.dll and other system file problems (be patient - the system scan may take a while).

When you install software that uses the wimgapi.dll dependency, the software should automatically register the file for you. In some cases your DLL file may not register properly, and as a result, will provide a "wimgapi.dll not registered" error.

Re-register wimgapi.dll from an elevated Command Prompt (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10):

2. Type cmd.exe in the search box... DO NOT hit ENTER yet!
  3. While holding CTRL-Shift on your keyboard, hit ENTER.
  4. You will be prompted with a permission dialog box.
  5. Click Yes.
  6. Type the following command: regsvr32 /u C:\Windows\System32\wimgapi.dll.
  7. Hit ENTER. This will UN-REGISTER your file.
  8. Type the following command: regsvr32 /i C:\Windows\System32\wimgapi.dll.
  9. Hit ENTER. This will RE-REGISTER your file.
  10. Close the Command Prompt window.
  11. Re-start the Media Creation Tool

Posted Image

#27 rbmiller40

rbmiller40

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 05:39 PM

Okay, made it past all that, burned the DVDs, and now I'm at the Windows screen to either install or repair?

#28 rbmiller40

rbmiller40

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 05:42 PM

I went to repair and the drive is locked. .

#29 rbmiller40

rbmiller40

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:59 PM

Any idea how I go about unlocking the drive. Tried several things and didn't work.

#30 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:41 AM

Any idea how I go about unlocking the drive. Tried several things and didn't work.

Can you explain to me few thinks please like what do you mean you when to repair where is this can you take a screenshot with your mobile phone also can you write down the error message telling you drive is locked and when is this error show up?

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users