Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Menu, Cortana and Taskbar not working in Windows 10?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Shivang Goley

Shivang Goley

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 12:03 AM

Start Menu, Cortana and Taskbar is not working in Windows 10, I don't want to format or reset my Microsoft Windows 10 32bit Pro.
I tried google my problem and open this page: http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/has-your-windows-10-start-menu-stopped-working-here-are-four-ways-to-fix-it-11364000314532

I didn't attempt the last step Refresh your PC i.e (Reset). Anybody know, any other solution for this problem.
Start Menu is not opening when clicking on Start Button and Cortana not opening and not giving any response.

Please give solution for this question.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 December 2015 - 10:58 AM.
moved from Windows 10 Discussion to Windows 10 Support

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:37 PM

I had this issue, and actually for me the thing that worked for me was reinstalling windows 10.

Now hopefully that wont be the case for you, as also seeing if a piece of software is causing your woes can be helpful too.

I think my issues were related to me having windows 7, something in the settings messed up

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 ChuckPasadena

ChuckPasadena

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:29 PM

Are you running more than one antivirus program because that causes a whole host of problems in WIn10,

I just helped someone else where the same thing was caused because he was running Bitdefender without disabling Windows Defender and once he uninstalled bitdefender everything started working smoothly again. Windows Defender is just as effective as any third party AV software if you have have safe and smart practices in how you surf the internet.

#4 byte007

byte007

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:08 AM

My cousin had the same problem. I searched the internet and found that several people said that Avast was the culprit. They said to try Updating Avast ( Open Avast and Update it ) - this worked on my cousin's Laptop (He was running Avast Free version). If updating doesn't work try uninstalling Avast.

Good Luck.

#5 Shivang Goley

Shivang Goley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:06 AM

I didn't have any anti virus software in my windows 10 but only windows defender.

#6 Walt_IT

Walt_IT

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:50 PM

I've been fighting with this and related problems, such as the Store and Edge not responding. The root problem seems to be something associated with the user account. I don't know if it is in the registry or in one of the thousands of files that Windows creates in the user Appdata directory tree, but if you can create a new user account and log into it, you might find that it works. If you can't get to the settings, start a command window from the Task Manager and type in the command

net user name password /add

#7 wfallon

wfallon

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:31 PM

I swear that we've gone through this post on a couple of other forums.

Bill

#8 D3vil

D3vil

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:18 AM

yeah a easy solution!

what you need to do! just create a new account..

run CMD as administrator

type :   "Powershell"  (without quotes)

next just run this

"Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}"

again without last quotes!..

and wait until process is completed!

i used this many time and this one works!

enjoy!

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:24 AM

I'm going to leave a possible solution here since I've seen that issue a lot on Sysnative. Usually, you can solve it by running Windows Repair AIO. Follow the instructions below please.

zImGw67.pngWindows Repair All-In-One
NOTE: Before following to step below, please disable your Antivirus software or any other real-time security software that you have enabled.
  • Boot in Safe Mode with Networking;
  • Download the portable version of Windows Repair All-In-One;
  • Move the file (archive) on your Desktop, and extract it there;
  • Go in the tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio folder, then Tweaking.com - Windows Repair folder, right-click on Repair_Windows.exe and select Run as Administrator;
  • From there, click on the Next button until you are presented with an Open Repairs button and click on it;
  • Let the Registry back up complete, and move on to the check-list window;
  • Click on the Unselect All button at the bottom, then check the following items:
    • Reset Service Permissions;
    • Restore Important Windows Services;
    • Set Windows Services To Default Startup;
  • Once done, click on the Start Repairs button and let the scan execute;
  • If you are being prompted with a Security Warning, allow it to go through;
  • Once the repair is complete, it'll ask you to restart your computer, please do it;

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 dabink

dabink

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:09 PM

@Aura  I really hoped your instructions using the Windows Repair AIO program would work.  But in my case the Start Menu, Cortana and Edge still don't work.  I also ran Windows Repair AIO twice as the current Version 3.8.1 recommends.

In order to preserve my files, programs and settings are there other options I can try rather than only selecting
Reset Service Permissions;
Restore Important Windows Services;
Set Windows Services To Default Startup;

If I select all what could be my consequences?

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:22 AM

Your programs and files will be preserved even if you run Windows Repair AIO with all the options. As for your settings, obviously some of them will be changed back to their default values if you pick an option that involves modifying them.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:21 AM

You should repair install Windows 10, repair installing Windows 10 will preserves the user data, user accounts, and important settings.

"How to Do a Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade"
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Posted Image

#13 dabink

dabink

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:32 PM

It seemed that the Windows Repair AIO program worked and kept any settings I had as well even when I checked all the options.

Then, the Start Menu, Cortana and Edge not working problems started again, this time running the Windows Repair AIO program was problematic.  The program never completed after letting it run for 2 days.  When I try to re-run, it seems stalled at the "Administrator: Pre-Repair Commands".

Should I proceed with a repair install of Windows 10 as suggested by FreeBooter or copy this Topic into a Virus thread? 

#14 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:57 PM

I cannot comment on the merits of the various fixes offered in this topic, but if you do decide that you may have a malware problem, DON'T copy this topic into any topic you might start in 'Am I infected?'. Instead just copy the URL at the top of the topic and include a statement that this refers. Something like -

"I have come here from the Win 10 section, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/599764/start-menu-cortana-and-taskbar-not-working-in-windows-10/ refers"

Chris Cosgrove

#15 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:13 PM

You can reinstall Cortana with below powershell command.

Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users