Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does jrt tools from bleeping computer support mac

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jraju

jraju

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:28 PM

Hi, I use jrt for removal of PUPs and malwares. Does it support mac systems. If not , why this tool could not be made available for that system as well

Edited by Orange Blossom, 17 December 2015 - 11:49 PM.
Moved to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:14 AM

Hello jraju:

The Malwarebytes Junkware Removal Tool is designed to work only with Microsoft® Windows® based operating systems, such as XP through Windows 10.

However, you may be interested in Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac which, like the Malwarebytes Junkware Removal Tool, is also free.

Cheers.

Edited by 1PW, 18 December 2015 - 05:23 AM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,068 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:19 AM

System requirements for JRT are also provided on the official download mirror at BleepingComputer.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 jraju

jraju
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:36 AM

Thanks 1pw. But does not the present version of malware bytes take much cpu and also has pre scan preparation which took time to load. If suppose, one wants to check one download, previously , i had to just right click and select scan by malware bytes, it would take less than 20 seconds to come out with its output. Now , if i do the same, now, it took me to the gui and then preparing to scan  and taking much cpu as well as time. So, i am now not using it. Ok, i will try to use this as a occasional scan feature for mac computers. Thank you.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,068 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:13 AM

Malwarebytes proprietary scan sections include "Pre-scan Operations" and "Heuristic Analysis" which at times can be resource intensive leading to a false impression that the scanner is hanging or unresponsive. All scans require loading various databases which alone can take some time to complete. The progress bar in the scan screen shows milestones for each phase of the scan represented by a green symbol and checkmark when complete...Updates, Memory, Startup Files, Registry, File System Heuristic Analysis. See...What are Pre-Scan Operations?.

For more information about scans, please refer to...

#6 jraju

jraju
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:21 AM

Hi, Thanks

But to scan one file also everything is loaded, which was not the thing in the pre versions, of green gui. Moreover adware cleaner and jrt tools do the job very quickly. I was the lover of mbytes for long time in the green gui. But at present, it , i think, takes much time and also use more cpu

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,068 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:33 AM

Yes even one file includes the Pre-scan Operations. Malwarebytes is designed to be a much more comprehensive scanner than AdwareCleaner and JRT, both of which only are designed to search for and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, browser extensions and other junkware as well as related services, registry entries (values, keys), files, folders and potentially unwanted extensions. Further, the new scanning engine in Malwarebytes version 2.0 has some enhancements to deal with current threats that the old version did not have.

The speed and ability to complete an anti-virus or anti-malware scan depends on a variety of factors.
  • The program itself and how its scanning engine is designed to scan: using a signature database vs heuristic scanning or a combination of both.
  • Options to scan for rootkits, adware, riskware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPS).
  • Options to scan memory, boot sectors, registry and alternate data streams (ADS).
  • Type of scan performed: Deep, Threat (formerly Quick ) or Custom scanning.
  • What action has to be performed when malware is detected.
  • A computer's hard drive size.
  • Disk size and used capacity (number of files that have to be scanned).
  • Types of files (.exe, .dll, .sys, .cab, archived, compressed, packed, email, etc) that are scanned.
  • Whether external drives are included in the scan.
  • Competition for and utilization of system/CPU resources by the scanner.
  • Other running processes and programs in the background.
  • Whether the scanning engine stalls, hangs or freezes.
  • Interference from malware.
  • Interference from other security programs attempting to scan at the same time.
  • Interference from other programs attempting to update (download/install) components from the Internet.
  • Interference from the user (whether or not you use the computer during the scan).
-- If you have "Scan for rootkits" enabled (new MBAM 2.0 feature), it will increase the length of the average scan time from previous versions and sometimes cause the scanner to stall (hang). This defeats the purpose of routinely using the recommended THREAT Scan to quickly check the most prevalent places for active malware so that option can remain disabled unless needed for rootkits.

In most cases when performing routine security checks, only a Threat (Quick) Scan is needed since it checks the areas of your computer most likely to contain malware...the most prevalent and common places where malware typically hides. A Full (Custom) Scan is much more comprehensive and can take a long time since it checks the entire hard drive (all folders/files) which can number in the thousands. The length of time for performing this type of scan varies because it is so comprehensive and therefore can take several hours. As such, a Full scan is generally recommended only for heavily infected systems.

#8 jraju

jraju
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:42 AM

Hi, Thanks very much. I may start using this from now on .

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,068 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:49 AM

You're welcome and good luck.