Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Latest Windows 10 update changed desktop settings and...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DDE12

DDE12

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:16 PM

I restarted my laptop today to update Windows 10 and there are now many changes to my system (I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 in October).  The first things noticed were that my desktop wallpaper was changed to the default Windows 10 wallpaper and all of my desktop icons are gone.  All of my taskbar customizations are gone.  I imagine this is what the default settings would be if one does a clean install of Windows 10.  I cannot connect via wireless.  Right clicking on the Wi-Fi connection in Network Connections and selecting Diagnose gives Problems found The Windows wireless service is not running on this computer.  I selected Try these repairs as an administrator, but this did not work.  I looked into doing a system restore and found that there were no restore points available and restore monitoring was turned off.  I had made many restore points previous to today.  In View Your Update History in the advanced options for Windows update, it tells me I have no updates installed yet.  Windows has updated several times since I upgrades.  After clicking uninstall updates I only find KB3116908 installed today.  Neither Avira or Comodo are running.  My apps are still in the Start menu but I have lost all the customizations I made to the Start panel (Calendar, News feed...)  Appears those have gone to default.  When opening Firefox I get the set as default browser messages as if I had never opened Firefox before.  I have Firefox set to open with the previous session and it did not.  It does not have any of my customizations either (bookmarks, add-ons...)  It seems as if I have logged into Windows as a new user for the first time HOWEVER I logged in as usual with the username and password that I have always used.  The one thing I have found that has remained unchanged is my picture next to my username on the Start menu.  It sort of seems like a new user has been added with my credentials but I don't think that would explain why the Wi-Fi service is not running.  I would greatly appreciate any assistance to get back to my settings without changing every single thing that has been changed.  Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:46 PM

First, open a command prompt and look at the build number (plus dot designation) your system is on and post that here.

The only thing I can recommend is that you might try going to recovery under Update & Security and using the "Go back to a prior build" option. That or use a restore point to take you back prior to the update you installed that caused this.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 DDE12

DDE12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:06 PM

It is Version 1511 (build 10586.17).  My user stuff is still present in C:\Users\DDE.  I created a file on the current desktop and it was saved to C:\Users\TEMP\Desktop.  Any thoughts as to why when I logged in a usual, I ended up in this user named TEMP (which I did not create)?  Does Windows save a restore point prior to updating?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,237 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:21 PM

Windows creates a restore point prior to major updates, and anything that would change the dot number on your Windows version would have one.  I actually imagine that's precisely what's used when you choose the "Go back to a prior build" option.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#5 DDE12

DDE12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:59 PM

I checked for updates (plugged in ethernet and was able to connect to internet) and updated to Build 10586.36.  This allowed me back into my "regular" user profile.  My Wi-Fi is working again also.  I am suspicious that the previous update to Build 10586.17 corrupted something in my user profile or it corrupted some aspect of the Wi-Fi connection and because I'm on a domain, Windows could not log me in properly and opened a temporary profile. ???  I still did not have any of the previous restore points that I had created.  The only one available is for the most recent update from about an hour ago.  Thank you for looking at my post so quickly.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,237 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:11 PM

There were definitely some rocky updates, and I was surprised to see that you were on 17.  I'd been on twenty something for about a week and a half now and earlier this evening I got the update for 10586.36.  

If you search on "build 17" or just 17 you'll find a few posts here talking about issues being introduced between 15 and 17.  A number of people have reported that their WiFi has gone back to normal on 36.

There's nothing like the first six to nine months of a new Windows release!!

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users