Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Solid Color Crashes

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shad0ws

shad0ws

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 17 December 2015 - 03:44 PM

Hello, I recently began experiencing stability issues with my PC, and I haven't had much luck searching for answers.

The issues began about 1 month ago, when the computer began crashing at random. The computer would stop responding, and show a solid color or stripes on the displays (i.e. both screens completely white, One screen black, one screen green, or left screen white, right screen black and red horizontal stripes.) Upon restarting the computer, it would make it into windows, and then immediately crash again in the same way. The computer eventually locked up while bootting after 3 or so cycles of this, and the mobo display would not advance past "A3" after several restarts. i turned the computer off for several hours, and eventually was able to get it running again by hitting the reset buttong on the motherboard, at which point it worked fine for the next month until today.

The issues began occuring again, and it has now happened 4 times in relatively close succession. After the first crash, it crashed immediately after getting into windows upon restart. The next restart after reseting the mobo let the computer run for about 5 minutes before crashing again. I turned the computer off for 10-15 minutes, and it ran for approximately 30-40 minutes before crashing again. I turned it off, reset the mobo, and let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then was able to get it running for another 20 minutes before crashing in the same way.

The pc is currently off, and I am typing this on my laptop. I was able to boot up the computer to grab a speccy output I had saved as a text file shortly before the last crash, and which I am including with this post.

The pc is approximately 4.5 years old, and has been running an OEM copy of windows 7 which is approximately 2 years old.

This feels like a hardware issue of some kind to me, but I'm really not sure if the problem is with the motherboard, RAM, Video card, or something else entirely. I was unable to find anything directly related to my issue while searching for answers, so I decided to post here. I would greatly appreciate any help anyone has to offer.

edit: it has since gotten worse, occasionally it is refusing to boot, and when I do get it to windows it hasn't stayed stable for more than 5 minutes.

Here are the basics from the speccy file, and I am attaching the full file in case it provides any additional useful information:

Summary
        Operating System
            Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
        CPU
            Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz    37 °C
            Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
        RAM
            8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (9-9-9-28)
        Motherboard
            BIOSTAR Group TP67XE (SOCKET 0)    36 °C
        Graphics
            DELL ST2410 (1920x1080@60Hz)
            HL272HPB (1920x1080@60Hz)
            1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (XFX Pine Group)    39 °C
        Storage
            149GB INTEL SSDSA2M160G2GN ATA Device (SSD)
            931GB SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA Device (SATA)    31 °C
        Optical Drives
            ASUS DRW-24B1ST a ATA Device
            DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
            DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
        Audio
            Logitech G930 Headset
Operating System
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
    Computer type: Desktop
    Installation Date: 1/5/2013 10:09:58 PM
    Serial Number: REDACTED
        Windows Security Center
            User Account Control (UAC)    Enabled
            Notify level    2 - Default
            Firewall    Enabled
        Windows Update
            AutoUpdate    Notify prior to download
        Windows Defender
            Windows Defender    Disabled
        Antivirus
            Antivirus    Enabled
            Company Name    Microsoft
            Display Name    Microsoft Security Essentials
            Product Version    4.7.205.0
            Virus Signature Database    Up to date
        .NET Frameworks installed
            v4.5 Full
            v4.5 Client
            v3.5 SP1
            v3.0 SP2
            v2.0 SP2
        Uptime
                Current Session
                    Current Time    12/17/2015 3:15:08 PM
                    Current Uptime    1,241 sec (0 d, 00 h, 20 m, 41 s)
                    Last Boot Time    12/17/2015 2:54:27 PM

Thanks

Attached File  MATT-PC.txt   245.13KB   2 downloads

Edited by shad0ws, 17 December 2015 - 05:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 05:47 AM

Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

The first couple are bootable, so you don't need to get into Windows.

If that doesn't identify a problem, you may want to try this procedure to help isolate the problem:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

Beyond that, if you do get into Windows, we'll need these 3 things:

Upload Dump Files:
NOTE:  If using a disk cleaning utility, please stop using it while we are troubleshooting your issues.
Please go to C:\Windows\Minidump and zip up the contents of the folder.  Then upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Left click on the first minidump file.
Hold down the "Shift" key and left click on the last minidump file.
Right click on the blue highlighted area and select "Send to"
Select "Compressed (zipped) folder" and note where the folder is saved.
Upload that .zip file with your next post.

If you have issues with "Access Denied" errors, try copying the files to your desktop and zipping them up from there.  If it still won't let you zip them up, post back for further advice.

If you don't have anything in that folder, please check in C:\Windows for a file named MEMORY.DMP.  If you find it, zip it up and upload it to a free file hosting service.  Then post the link to it in your topic so that we can download it. 

Also, search your entire hard drive for files ending in .dmp, .mdmp, and .hdmp.  Zip up any that you find and upload them with your next post.

Then, follow the directions here to set your system for Minidumps (much smaller than the MEMORY.DMP file):  http://www.carrona.org/setmini.html
More info on dump file options here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254649

MSINFO32:
Please go to Start and type in "msinfo32.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Save the report as an .nfo file, then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Also, save a copy as a .txt file and include it also (it's much more difficult to read, but we have greater success in getting the info from it).

If you're having difficulties with the format, please open an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt and type (or copy/paste) "msinfo32 /nfo %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\TEST.NFO" (without the quotes) and press Enter.  Then navigate to Desktop to retrieve the TEST.NFO file.  If you have difficulties with making this work, please post back.  Then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.

systeminfo:
Please open an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt and type (or copy/paste) "systeminfo.exe >%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt" (without the quotes) and press Enter.  Then navigate to Desktop to retrieve the syteminfo.txt file.  If you have difficulties with making this work, please post back.  Then zip up the .txt file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users