Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

??? on a reappearing KB:

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:50 PM

I put a post in the 7 forum for someone to check my cbs log, got a quick answer that has me wondering, take a peek the post would like others thought!  I did go back and delete KB 3022345 again which had been deleted priviously.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/599696/check-my-cbs-log/#entry3888322

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 17 December 2015 - 01:08 PM

KB3022345 is one of the updates which many users will consider unwelcome, so I can see why you want it gone. I doubt, however, that it somehow reinstalled itself after you removed it (provided that your updates were on "check automatically but ask me whether I want to download", am I right in thinking all your machines have updates set to this mode?). As far as I can guess one of the following 5 things happened:

1.You hadn't uninstalled that update from the machine in question, perhaps you forgot or remembered uninstalling it from another machine and assumed you had done the same on this one in question?

2.You removed KB3022345 from the machine but it had been installed multiple tmes alreeady, maybe the update had been offered multiple times and installed multiple times before you realised you had it, maybe you only removed the most recent version of it in the "installed updates" list but an older version is still installed?

3.KB3022345 is not present on that machine, it's just you are seeing that error message because it caused errors back when it was installed or because similar errors are occuring for totally unrealetd reasons. This possible cause can be ruled out if you find KB3022345 is installed. Your thread doesn't seem to state that you've checked throuhg the update list since seeing sikntired's response, so I just wanted to check that you had actually looked in your updates list since seeing his post and found this update, not just assumed it's presence due to that error message.

4.You accidentally installed it whilst thinking it was something else, maybe your mouse slipped when you were picking which updates you did and din't want to install, accidents like this can happen.

5.IF your updates were set to an automatic download/install mode then I could understand that the update might install itself if it were re-released, but for someone who's updates are on "check automatically but ask me whether I want to download" this doesn't seem to be a likely occurence.

I suggest your best course of action at present is to look in your "installed updates" list, see if it is there. Then look in your "update history" list, see if you can notice a date on which it was installed, does this date correlate to anything odd you noticed occuring, does it correlate to a date when you downloaded and installed updates yourself, does it correlate to a date before you set your updates to "check automatically but ask me whether I want to download". Post here whatever you can find about whether it is installed and when it was. Finally, remove it and any other updates you feel suspicious about, then keep using your computer as normal and see if anything similar occurs again.

Edited by rp88, 17 December 2015 - 01:08 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 17 December 2015 - 01:34 PM

rp I think you are on track I have been deleting things as they come along, this may have been an early one before I slit updates throat :warrior:

MS will keep us on our toes until at least July of 16 :football:

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users