Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WiFi adapter will not stay on, and problems with printer communication

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sbdiveco

sbdiveco

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:36 AM

Thank you in advance for any assistance you might be able to provide.

Since shortly after my upgrade to Win10, my onboard WiFi adapter will not turn and stay on, even with updated drivers.  Interestingly, after I installed the latest driver upate, the onboard WiFi adapter did turn on, and stayed on for several seconds, then turned itself off.  I purchased a USB WiFi adapter as a work-around, and found that one will turn itself off randomly, and sometimes it also will not stay on at all until I restart the computer, though that has not occured since BC helped me resolve a malware issue (see below).

Also, I was having zero computer - printer communication after upgrade to Win10, and due to the age of the printer, decided that to replace the printer with a new one would be my best solution.  I find that I still have the same printer communication issue, and now can only print via email (i.e., email the document to the printer's dedicated website), or from mobile devices.

I have just finished a malware removal process and been declared "Clean" in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware and Malware Removal Logs forum ; if of interest, the thread may be found here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/599092/unable-to-run-anti-malware-even-root-kits/

Any help you can provide would be most appreciated.

Sbdiveco

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 17 December 2015 - 03:39 PM

Have you reviewed your power settings to be sure that they are not causing you problems?

Does the printer respond normally when wired to the computer?

What are the distances between the devices and are there any serious electronics between them?

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 sbdiveco

sbdiveco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:12 PM

I have the problems no matter what the power settings are; there does not seem to be any reason or pattern as to when the wifi shuts off.

I have not tried to plug the computer directly into the printer, but, the printer responds normally from (wireless) mobile devices (tablets, phones); it seems that only my computer will not "wake" or find the printer.

Approximately 35 ft, no electronics in between, and the previous printer had no problems of this nature until around the time of the Win 10 update.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,803 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:19 PM

See the thread WiFi Adapter losing connection in this forum.  There have been some pretty significant issues with WiFi on many machines since the Fall Update.  It appears that there may have just been another Windows Update issued that fixes them.  You're definitely not alone with flaky WiFi under the Fall Update/1511.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 sbdiveco

sbdiveco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:26 AM

This one, britechguy? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/598459/wifi-network-adapter-losing-connection/?hl=%2Bwifi+%2Badapter#entry3888640

I tried to download the new update mentioned in the thread but received the following message "There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help:"

My Windows 10 seems to be stuck at build 10.0.10240 whereas the thread you mention states that the most recent build is 10.1.10586.36?

I have my updates set to automatic, and looking back through my update history, it seems every Windows 10 update I've downloaded since 15 Nov has "failed to install"

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,193 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:58 AM

Sounds like a corrupted install of 10240. You might consider trying a restore or, reinstall

Dick E

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,803 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:33 AM

I agree with dicke.  I would try a Reset install with the "keep my files" option.   Be aware that while this keeps all your personal data files it does reset Windows 10 to "out of the box" state so any apps or programs you installed will be removed.

If all your updates are failing and have been for a month now I don't see any other logical way out of this.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#8 sbdiveco

sbdiveco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:42 PM

It gives me the message:

"There was a problem resetting your PC, no changes were made"

#9 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,193 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:11 PM

I'm going to say serious corruption.

You might want to run Seatools on your hard drive to be sure it isn't failing. If not, then a reformat and reinstall might be the only way back to normal operation.

Dick E

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,803 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:15 PM

It gives me the message:

"There was a problem resetting your PC, no changes were made"

I have no problem with dicke's suggestion to run a test on your hard drive, but see what the results are before you'd ever consider a full reformat.

A lot of people have been having problems with any sort of normal Windows Update processing if there is corruption somewhere in the existing Windows installation and yours are more serious than most.  I'd suggest that you get yourself over to the Microsoft Media Creation Tool site, download the correct ISO file for your system by saying that you want to create media to upgrade another machine, then burning that to DVD or creating a bootable USB drive then run an Upgrade install on your Windows 10 system (which you can do).  This presumes, of course, that your hard drive is testing out OK.

If that doesn't work then a full, clean install will be necessary and you can do that with the same installation media after, of course, having backed up your user data so you can pull it back in.

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,193 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:53 PM

I like Brian's response.

Might take a bit longer to get to the end but you should have less chance of losing data.

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users