Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

It's Always Something............

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 khopek

khopek

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 05:30 PM

i've had nothing but problems with XP. I even up graded to XP Pro because I was told it would take care of my problems. no suck luck.

1) all my programs run like crap. it would take forever for anything to load so I upgraded my RAM from 512 to 1.2 Gb. WAY more than enough to run decent.

2) now, they just don't function like they should.
for example:
a) when using flash and importing pictures, they don't import at the size they are. the pictures are 126x155 (pixels), but most will show up half the size, but not proportional. Some show up normal size.

b)itunes will open, but if i close it for some reason and need to open it later, it won't open. Only if i click open new task in Task Manager and type in itunes.exe, will it then open.

c) photoshop. every time i tried to do something in it the other day, I'd get an error message stating something like "could not complete task because of program error"

d) the file for my sound card program to adjust speaker settings and what not, just refuses to open. I'll click on the icon and it does absolutely nothing. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times to no avail.

The list goes on and on like this.... the entire system runs SLOOOOW which i don't understand considering it's got a pentium 4 and 1.2Gb of RAM.

I cannot find any spyware, adware, or viruses whatsoever. So I am at a loss as to what this could be. It's getting to be a pain considering this is running alot of things for my business and I can't be reinstalling windows all the time in hopes it will work correctly. Any ideas as to what is going on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 05:38 PM

I would suggest for you to do a clean install of Windows XP Professional. If you do that and the computer system still runs slow then it's a Hardware issue.

(BACKUP ALL YOUR DATA FIRST)
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 05:43 PM

What kind of routine maintenance do you do?
When you upgraded, did you do a clean install?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 khopek

khopek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:01 PM

well i have avast! anti virus, and ad-aware and i run scans regularly, I also run defrag and scan-disk on a regular basis.

Yes, when I reinstalled I did a clean install. Completely reformated and partitioned my harddrive to make a section specifially for the OS. I was having too many problems before with everything all together.

#5 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:36 PM

What kind of problems were they?

Edited by ComputerWhizz7, 25 July 2006 - 07:37 PM.

I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:41 PM

I suggest you post a HijackThis log for examination.
A member of the HijackThis Team will walk you through, step by step, how to disinfect your computer.
Once you post your log, don't make any changes to your system, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

Read Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Please read, and follow, all directions carefully!!!

Then, run a log, and post it in the HijackThis forum, at this link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/ Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, as these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:

Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

#7 khopek

khopek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:03 PM

well before....there are too many to list.

my usb thing for my camera memory card would install, but i could not get on it to use it. It was supposed to show up as a drive, but didn't show up at all. (something with xp being gay)

the computer ran so slow my old 500 Mhz computer looked like a speed demon compared to it.

nothing would open. i'd have to restart the computer about 3 times before i'd be able to open anything on the desktop or anywhere else.

the database for my Microsoft Point of Sale program was not saving/updating when it was supposed to be. I lost months worth of inventory due to that.

user accounts would not work at all

....and that is all i can remember....so I bought XP pro (not the update, the complete program) and reformated and installed pro....

(i'll post my hijackThis log in a minute)

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:51 PM

I would suggest that you run some tests on your Ram. A P4 with that much ram should not be slow.
RAM tests

http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
http://www.memtest.org/
http://www.memtest86.com/

If your ram checks out it sounds like you need to reformat and reinstall Windows and all your programs.

Backup all your data first.

When you reinstall Windows disconnect all peripherals such as your printer, scanner, speakers, etc.
Only your monitor, keyboard and mouse (these should be PS2, not USB) should remain connected while installing Windows.

If you have added a seperate video card and/or sound card in pci or agp slots they should be removed and reinstalled after you reinstall Windows, in fact, all added pci cards should be removed and reinstalled after Windows is reloaded. Disconnect your internet connection as well.

The following Microsoft Tutorial may halp if you are not fully familiar with installing Windows:
New Installation with Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...installnew.mspx

One more thing:
You will need your 25 digit Windows Key
If you do not have it you can download a freeware program named Keyfinder that will give it to you:

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 09:34 PM

Moderator Note:

I have split the HJT log off from this thread and placed it in the HJT Log Forum for team review and member help:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/59998/hjt-logfilekhopek/

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:28 PM

Please don't do anything to your system until your HJT log has been worked over by the HJT team. They'll let you know when they're done and you can start posting back here.

From a quick look at your HJT log (I'm not an HJT expert by a long shot) - I'd say that one of your problems is that you (like me) don't worry about having too many programs open at one time.

But, even with 2 gB of RAM I do experience slowdowns and problems with functioning when I leave too much stuff open (a lot of my posts here today make mention of this). And it gets especially bad if a schedulaed background scan starts up while I'm doing something.

So, my topic for today is system resource management - and our own responsibility to manage it. All too often the solution is to add more RAM - and no though is given to the axiom that the programs will increase to fill the available space. So, check your startups and running services - make a list of the ones that you want to delete/disable - then post the list here so others can check to make sure that some unknown but vital function isn't killed when you disable it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 zemoman

zemoman

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:41 PM

Please tell me how big you hd compacity is. :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:
ROOTKITS BAD!

#12 khopek

khopek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:22 PM

sorry it took me so long to get back, guys.

my harddrive is 80G
i have a 10G partition on C: for the OS
and the rest is on the D drive and that is where i install everything

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:25 PM

How much space is available on "C"?

#14 khopek

khopek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:38 PM

1.76 G
there is usually more. i'm sure it's due the amount of junk on my desktop at this moment

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:48 PM

Click on the "My Computer" icon, right click on the C partition (assuming that's where you installed Windows), and choose "properties".

That will show you how much unused space you have.

You need between 15% and 20% unused space for Windows to function properly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users