Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Move free space between partitions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 17 December 2015 - 02:52 AM

Hello! I want to move my free space in HDD:

e7db66d3de28d6ea7ea328af437c231a.png

I want extend E so that I can use my free space :)

I have Windows 8.1 & Fedora 23 installed in my laptop... I tried to do it but I can't move the EXT3 partitions :(

Thanks in Advance! TD :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:49 AM

If you cannot directly move the EXT3 partitions, just copy them to an external hard drive, delete the original ones on the HDD, move the unallocated space to E drive, and then copy the EXT3 partitions back. Would take some time. And backup the whole disk before doing this. BTW, Easeus partition master is really a good freeware.

#3 TheDcoder

TheDcoder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:55 AM

Oh, ok... Guess that there is no way around now :P

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:11 AM

I had a similar situation recently. The problem is free space MUST be adjacent to the partition you want to extend. Since that isn't the case you can't "extend" the partition. However, you can "merge" free space even though it isn't adjacent. The only free partitioning software that I found that can do this is AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition.

http://www.disk-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html

Make sure you use "Merge". Also, since your free space is in two separate locations you would have to do the operation twice.

IMPORTANT! Partitioning is serious business. Make sure you backup before attempting this.

Edited by Agouti, 17 December 2015 - 08:12 AM.

#5 TheDcoder

TheDcoder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:19 AM

Awww... too late! I already uninstalled Fedora 23 :P

Anyways, Thanks for the tip :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users