Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 machine stuck in a reboot loop.

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 12:38 PM

Confused sorry, I thought you were trying to repair W10, I guess you messed that up?  Be careful, one thing at a time, if questions are needed - stop and ask.  I'm out at this point as you are in territory I am not familiar with.  There is a lot to be read about a clean install of windows 10 after Migrating from 8.1 here at bc.com take a look at the beginning of the W10 Forum.

Good luck pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#32 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 02:03 PM

After dl/installing 188 updates to 8.1 win 10 did finally install.
How ever this time it did things a little differently. I was given options during set up to not use Cortana EDGE and a few other things. However edge did install anyway and will not let me use IE11. I am using it at the moment but soon as I close out it will be gone. It will not let me use it by default. Believe me I have tried.

I guess this is a close as you can get to a clean install without actually being one.lol

Now to go see if I can get glasswire and a few others back.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#33 Alexkhan

Alexkhan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:56 PM

Hi Guys,

I have installed Windows 10 Enterprise on my lenovo Thinkpad x201 (Intel Core i5, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HD, Intel HD) surely compatible with it everything went fine I did a fresh install of an official ISO Image just to test the trial but on the first boot after the welcome screen it was working fine I shut down my laptop after like 3 hours I come back to it when It asks me to enter my logon password It freezes up there :(. Is it something wrong with the ISO file of WIn 10 or the laptop I cant figure it out :/. I would appreciate your help thanks in advance.

Url of the ISO I've used: hxxp://www.filesmag.com/2015/01/windows-10-iso-32-and-64-bit-free.html

Note: I am new to this forum and this is my first post please forgive me If I break any rules.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 20 December 2015 - 02:45 AM.
Deactivated link. ~ OB

#34 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,250 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:05 PM

Alex,

Never, ever, ever use ISO files from third parties when the "first party" (Microsoft in this case) allows you to download directly from them.  Go to the website for the Microsoft Media Creation Tool and follow their instructions for creating the correct installation media of your choice, USB or DVD, "for upgrading another machine."  Then use it to reinstall on your machine.

I can't imagine how any third party would have a legal copy of Windows 10 Enterprise to give away.  You will be choosing from Windows 10 Home or Pro in either 32-bit or 64-bit (and if memory serves the i5 is a 64-bit processor).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#35 Alexkhan

Alexkhan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 05:22 PM

Alex,

Never, ever, ever use ISO files from third parties when the "first party" (Microsoft in this case) allows you to download directly from them.  Go to the website for the Microsoft Media Creation Tool and follow their instructions for creating the correct installation media of your choice, USB or DVD, "for upgrading another machine."  Then use it to reinstall on your machine.

I can't imagine how any third party would have a legal copy of Windows 10 Enterprise to give away.  You will be choosing from Windows 10 Home or Pro in either 32-bit or 64-bit (and if memory serves the i5 is a 64-bit processor).

Thank you very much for the advice, I used Universal USB installer for making it bootable I thought that software was trustable and reliable, But thank you very much again.I will take a look on the site you shared now.

Edited by Alexkhan, 19 December 2015 - 05:23 PM.

#36 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,265 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:35 AM

Universal USB installer is fine, it is the iso that is not fine.  I think you should start your own thread for any more questions.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#37 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,603 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:43 AM

I am pretty sure filesmag.com is illegally distributing software but I could be wrong.

#38 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,250 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:44 PM

After dl/installing 188 updates to 8.1 win 10 did finally install.
How ever this time it did things a little differently. I was given options during set up to not use Cortana EDGE and a few other things. However edge did install anyway and will not let me use IE11. I am using it at the moment but soon as I close out it will be gone. It will not let me use it by default. Believe me I have tried.

I guess this is a close as you can get to a clean install without actually being one.lol

Now to go see if I can get glasswire and a few others back.

Do you mean to tell me that you have not been able to assign IE as your default browser using "Default Programs" in Control Panel?  I can set it, or any of the other web browsers installed on my system, at will.

Even if IE does not have the "set as default browser" option anymore you can definitely choose IE via Default Programs.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#39 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:11 PM

Thanks Brian that is one thing I had not tried. Useualy internet options has a place you chose which browser is default. Not anymore on here for me anyways.

#40 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,250 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:20 PM

Thanks Brian that is one thing I had not tried. Useualy internet options has a place you chose which browser is default. Not anymore on here for me anyways.

Now I'll come back and give you another piece of advice:  Don't do it!!

The writing is not only on the wall, but is now beginning to be scrubbed off like graffiti with regard to IE.  Ease yourself into alternate browser(s) while you still have the option to use IE "as needed" instead of "as primary."

I have yet to know anyone who misses IE once they start working with other browsers in earnest.

~ Lauren Bacall

#41 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:54 PM

That step has already been taken. I have Firefox and opera so far. I assume Edge still has the same issues it had before like not supporting extensions etc. like Adblok +, noscript and others. I am still debateing what others I may install just to have on hand Just in case.

#42 Reecy

Reecy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 16 October 2016 - 02:51 PM

THANK YOU!!!  :thumbup2:

Since this is a boot loop, see if the following works. It has worked on Windows 8 so hopefully it works on 10.

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  6. Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.
  7. Select Refresh your PC if you do not wish to erase data, or Reset your PC to erase all data and restore the system.
  8. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete recovery.

You need to get to the Advanced Options in order to get the Refresh Option. This will keep your data but any programs installed will be lost. Do not do a Reset as that will wipe everything.  You can use the Vista computer to create a bootable USB install of Windows 10.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users