Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 machine stuck in a reboot loop.

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:28 PM

My win 10 machine is now stuck in a endless reboot loop. I posted in the linux forum because I thought I would need a bootable distro but they seem to think I need a windows repair disk. The following is a copy/paste of some of the possibly problems I may be faceing.

Your thoughts on this will be appreciated.

Ok the only repair disks I have found so far there are more negative reviews than positive. Mostly that they do not really work.

I am looking at a win 10 iso on a thumb drive useing rufus.  How ever most say they would have to be made on a win 10 machine that is all ready working.

The only working machine I have right now is a vista 32 bit.  Where I get confused is rufus says I can use any machine since vista but does not explain exactly how. Or if I can dl a win 10 64bit onto a 32 bit machine and it stay as 64 bit. At least I asssume I will have to install the iso on the computer then transfer to the thumb drive and use rufus to make it bootable?  Here I am a complete novice.  The HP machine I am trying to recover is stuck in a endless boot loop.  It did not come with a cd/dvd drive so it may not have a drive even listed in boot order. Also I have only once got that machine to actually show a boot screen.  I have never been able to do it again.

Your thoughts on this will be appreciated.  For more info check out my thread in BSOD forum.

I have quite a mess on my hands.  Also I only have thumb drives do I actually need a flsh drive I understand they are actually different.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 December 2015 - 05:04 PM.
moved from Windows 10 Discussion to Windows 10 Support

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 17 December 2015 - 02:58 PM

@dannyboy950, Remember - I am not an Adviser here just a member and not really up on all the tech of it.  I can say one thing tough, when starting a Thread you should always post up as much info as possible.  Some history on this pc would be of huge benefit, and a Speccy Chart would be good also, you probably can't do this now.  Like what did the pc come with from factory, was it upgraded or fresh installed, how many times etc.  If you can get into BIOS and set the Optical Drive as first in Boot Order you can run LinuxLiveDVD as you might know, open Terminal and Copy Paste this into Terminal and post the output here, or where ever you need, and, save it to a word document to a USB while in Linux.  inxi -Fxz

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/#entry1797792

If nothing else, please tell us what Make and Model we are working with, it is possible that you will not be able to run W10 on that machine.  HP Laptop, that is not enough.  If I remember right you are familiar with Linux, so you know you can run that if all else fails.

MODEL: All number will be found on bottom of lappy

CPU

HDD

RAM

VIDEO

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:10 PM

My appologies. Since I have been on BC so much in the last few months I forget not everyone knows me and my system.

HP 15-f009wm more of a notebook actually than a lappy. 1GHZ AMD E1-2100 APU  Radeon HD Grafics. 4 GB memory added 4 GB 8 GB total.

500GB Sata HDD. System only just meets min. system requirements to run win.10. CPU and HDD are soldered to the mobo and not changeable. 

Win 10 successfully installed 64bit UEFI 9-4-2015  Win 10 ran on here with few issues up untill 3 months ago. Other than privacey issues.

During the course of trying to fix these issues I inadvertantly locked my pc into a endless boot.

I have threads in malware forum and bsod forum for some of the things done and all ready tried. As far as that goes there is a full speecy report on BC somewhere.

This pc has an abnormally fast boot. There is no black bios screen that comes up at all. 1 second of black screen then the HP logo and windows startrts to load.

Only once have I been able to interupt boot but that does not work anymore either.

Does this help any? Basically I killed my PC my self by botching the running of tweak.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:20 PM

Since this is a boot loop, see if the following works. It has worked on Windows 8 so hopefully it works on 10.

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  6. Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.
  7. Select Refresh your PC if you do not wish to erase data, or Reset your PC to erase all data and restore the system.
  8. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete recovery.

You need to get to the Advanced Options in order to get the Refresh Option. This will keep your data but any programs installed will be lost. Do not do a Reset as that will wipe everything.  You can use the Vista computer to create a bootable USB install of Windows 10.

#5 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:31 PM

John Microsoft will not allow me to dl a win 10 ISO to Vista one of the first things I tried this am.

Windows say I am running Vista and win 10 is not compatable. and they will not dl an iso.

I will retry what you suggest maybe I will be luckyer this time.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:49 PM

Sorry about that. You are right. You cannot run the Media Creation tool on Windows Vista. You may be able to download the iso direct here. Pick your verison.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

Bottom of the page pick your Windows 10 version.

Were you able to access Advanced Repair Options by powering on and off the computer as I posted?

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 December 2015 - 05:56 PM.

#7 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:12 PM

No sir that did not work for me.  I need to let you know I no longer get the regular boot screen. All I get now is a white resatring page that will not finish loading. I have let it run for 20 hrs. No joy I tried the rapid reboot shut off thing 7 times.

Sorry I have to go for a while..

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:24 PM

No problem. Were you able to download the iso from the link I posted or is that what you meant by not working.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,316 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:40 PM

Just as a note, it is not at all abnormal that your computer does not have a "black BIOS screen" since it's a UEFI machine, just like mine (HP-g035wm).

I just posted a thread to this very forum entitled, UEFI Boot Example from HP 15 Series Laptop, on this very forum, and you will need to be able to do virtually everything I've shown there because you're going to need to have created a Windows 10 Recovery Drive on either a USB drive or a CD/DVD.  This can be done on any Windows 10 machine running a version of windows that matches the bit version (32 or 64) on your system; search in settings for "recovery drive" and the creation setting/dialog shows up at the top of the list.  In the BIOS part of UEFI you will need to change your boot order such that the appropriate device is listed first in the boot order.

Even if you end up doing an upgrade install using the appropriate Win10 ISO burned to DVD or to a USB device, you still need to change boot order to look there first.

One always uses Windows own built-in recovery tools before even considering anything else.  I try to encourage people to create a recovery drive virtually immediately after starting up a computer with a new OS, whether it's brand spanking new or newly upgraded.  You never know when you'll need it and a CD or DVD costs next to nothing and a small USB drive is not all that much more expensive.  Cheap insurance.

I would try to use the Recovery Drive method first.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#10 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:08 PM

Thanks brian unfortuneately I have no other win 10 machine to use.  John I will let you know if I was able to install a iso of 10 in about 5 hrs.

One of the main things one needs to have when dealing with 10 is a fast interner connection. Everything even updates takes me hours.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,316 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:22 PM

dannyboy950,

You've been given direct download links for the Win10 ISO on a Windows machine that pre-dates Win7 in your thread on the Linux forum, in great detail.  You may want to go with using the burned ISO to upgrade route.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#12 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:44 PM

Brian I must have missed that I will have to go look thank you.

That is the iso I am trying to dl now. I AM AT 19% now. Roaring right along.

Edited by dannyboy950, 17 December 2015 - 08:56 PM.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,299 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:07 PM

Good for you, I assume you have the Rufus Directions, as you have spoken about this already, use the microsoft ones if possible.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,299 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:17 PM

Make sure you format that USB First, and then you can look at these directions, I have never used them so use at own risk.

http://microsoft-news.com/how-to-create-a-bootable-usb-drive-for-windows-10/

Or google this and see what you find that suits your needs best.  I don't have sound on my pc, but there might be a good video that shows step by step how to use Rufus for windows 10 USB 

"create bootable windows 10 usb with rufus"

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,299 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:38 PM

In case you want to try again, here are the directions to boot into BIOS on your pc.

"Starting Setup Utility (BIOS)

To start Setup Utility (BIOS), turn on or restart the computer, quickly press esc, and then press f10."

I don't know if that USB will help you if you can't boot into it, do you remember what your Boot Order is set to?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users