Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows hangs on shutting down screen after failed updates

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bignome

bignome

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:18 PM

I apologize in advance for my lack of tech knowledge.  I will try to explain my situation as thoroughly as possible.

I am running Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit.  A month ago i had a hard drive failure and had a new 4tb hard drive installed. My motherboard does not support UEFI and because of that the boot sector was moved to a thumb drive and pointed at the Windows installation on the 4tb. I don't think that has anything to do with the problem I'm having now but since it was a recent change, I'm mentioning it.

4 days ago my son was using DVD Shrink (an old and sometimes glitchy program) and it locked up. He opened task manager and attempted to force close the program.  It would not close.  After waiting several minutes he manually turned off the computer.

When I restarted the computer it said Preparing to configure Windows.  Do not turn off your computer.  I thought it was installing updates and i walked away from it.  When I came back it said:

Failure configuring Windows updates.  Reverting changes.  Do not turn off your computer.  It hung on this screen for more than 4 hours. 

At that time I turned it off with the button and booted into safe mode.  I tried to do a system restore but it says I have no restore points.  Apparently system restore was turned off when the new hard drive was installed.  When I couldn't restore I made a disc image backup of the hard drive and tried again to boot Windows.

This time it hung on "Reverting changes" for nearly three hours, then switched to "Windows is shutting down."  I left it alone four 16 hours and it was still hanging there.

I booted into safe mode again and ran msconfig, hid Microsoft services, stopped all other services and tried once again to boot Windows.  Same result. Hung for hours on the restoring screen, then hours more on shutting down.

I tried restoring from the backup I made but as I expected it still has the same problem.

I looked at the windows updates to see if I could learn what update might have caused the problem but it shows the last update was in October.

If anyone has a suggestion for a way I might get this computer out of this loop I would be so greatful. I am unable to run the update troubleshooter or install or uninstall anything because I can only work in safe mode.

I can wipe the hard drive but I have several old programs I am hoping to save.

Thank you very much

I have attached the sysnativefilecollectionapp.zip

I attempted to execute the perfmon report and got this message:

Error:

An error occured while attempting to generate the report.

The system cannot find the path specified.

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   2.15MB   1 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:58 PM

Post over in the Windows 10 forum with a topic title about Windows Update  - this will attract the helpers who have experience with Windows Update problems.

Here's my canned speech about this stuff:

There's not many experts at fixing Windows Updates.
I am not one of them.
But the few experts that there are a sorely overworked - so getting a reply will be difficult.
I'll continue to attempt to help here, but please bear with me.

First, please try the Windows Update troubleshooter/fixes listed here:
Windows Update Troubleshooter:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/windows-update-issues/en-us
Windows Update Troubleshooter KB article:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2714434
Reset Windows Update Components KB article:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Then, if that doesn't fix the Windows Update problem, please do the following 2 things. (copied from here:  http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-update/4736-windows-update-forum-posting-instructions.html ):

Run SFCFix

This free tool of neimiro's creation (see above link) is a very good starting point for the diagnosis and repair of all Windows Update and System File Checker corruptions. We therefore need you to run this tool prior to collecting logfiles.

-  First download and run a copy of the tool from http://www.sysnative.com/niemiro/apps/SFCFix.exe.
        -  Work through any on-screen prompts and then await completion (runtime is approximately 15 minutes).
        -  Once it has finished, if there are any unrepaired corruptions (the tool will notify you if it has succeeded in repairing all corruptions if they're simple in which case we're no longer needed) or unresolved problems with your computer, you need to post us the complete logfile which opens on exit. Simply copy (Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C) and paste (Ctrl-V) the entire logfile into your new thread (also know as a 'topic'). How to create a new thread is shown later on in this post.

Export CBS folder
NOTE:  This is not for me (I can't read them).  This is in case you decide to post in the OS forums asking for help from the experts. 

-  On Windows 8/10, press the Windows key, type This PC, and press Enter.
        -  On Windows Vista/7, click the Start button StartButton_16x16.gif then click Computer.
        -  Double-click on the C: drive, under the Hard Disk Drives category, and then scroll down to, and double click on the Windows folder.
        -  Find and double click on the Logs folder.
        -  Right-click on the CBS folder, and select Copy.
        -  Go back to your Desktop, right-click on it, and select Paste. You should now see a copy of the CBS folder appear on your Desktop called CBS.
        -  Right-click on this new folder, and navigate through Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
        -  A new file, also called CBS (CBS.zip), but this time with a different icon, will be created.

As for the first item (SFCFix), just copy and paste into your post as indicated.
For the second item (CBS log), if you'd like it analyzed, start a post in the OS forums, then zip it up and upload it with your next post there (it's not needed in this topic as I can't read it).
If it's too big to upload (or you get an error), just upload it to a free file hosting service (such as OneDrive or DropBox).  Ensure that it's shared and then post a link to it here.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users