Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding Ram causes display driver crash - need assistance please

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 535cheetah

535cheetah

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:49 PM

Problem: I installed 4 extra GB of ram to the existing 4GB of ram with 2 sticks. All 4 sticks are identical. when i did this and booted up, and clicked on chrome or pretty much anything, the screen would go black and would come back on and say "display driver stopped working and recovered" (358.91 I believe). It would do this anywhere from repeatedly until it BSOD and rebooted to a minute or so. It was fine though if i booted it up and didnt touch/click anything. I searched and had found that the timing may be off and to go into the bios and change it to manual, I did this and a few other small things but it did not work. I took the ram back out so I could type this...which now everything is fine again, but doesnt help me lol. I have hope that one of you tech genius's will have an idea :)

the pics included are what I did in the Bios and to give specs/info on my system. If anymore info is needed, please let me know. Even opening CPU-z would make it crash so I got lucky to get those pics. :(

Running: Microsoft prof. 64bit, Nvidia geforce GTX 570 card, Asus 5pe motherboard,  Thermaltake W0106RU 700W Complies with ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V version SLI Certified 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active

Attached File  20151210_102919.jpg   95.95KB   0 downloadsAttached File  20151210_104216.jpg   132.89KB   0 downloadsAttached File  20151210_104405.jpg   109.09KB   0 downloadsAttached File  20151210_104440.jpg   123.86KB   0 downloadsAttached File  20151210_200222.jpg   156.28KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Capture 2.PNG   51.18KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Capture.PNG   54.76KB   0 downloads

Edited by 535cheetah, 16 December 2015 - 06:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:00 PM

Actually, they are not identical because they have different clock speeds and CAS latencies, and the latter is what is most likely causing the problem.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 535cheetah

535cheetah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:08 PM

but physically the Ram I had bought years ago (shown below in pic) and the new ram I bought are the same? 

Attached File  old ram.PNG   35.04KB   0 downloads

#4 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:18 PM

Yes, physically, but that does not mean that they are exactly the same in terms of latency and all that other technical stuff.

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#5 535cheetah

535cheetah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:33 PM

So is there anything I can do then or do I need to get all new ram?

#6 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:21 AM

This RAM seems to be for an old computer, so you are going to have trouble getting new RAM for this PC. The type of RAM you can get depends on your motherboard, and if you can find out what kind of RAM it supports, you can buy all new RAM with those specifications. Otherwise, it seems that you are out of luck.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:54 AM

535, you may need to email the computer's manufacturer and get the geeky tech specs of all possible RAM the installed motherboard can actually work with.  Take those geeky tech specs to a computer store, and ensure sales/service get you what your computer will use.  While the sales literature will give possibilities, the geeky tech sheets will give the deep down truth of what actually can be used.

Edited by RolandJS, 18 December 2015 - 10:55 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users