Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there some maximum content size limit for images?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,822 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:48 PM

I've been doing a lot of posting of screen captures over the last few weeks because, in the context of a thread offering help, a picture of an actual settings screen, dialog box, etc., is virtually always worth the proverbial thousand words.

Today, however, I was not allowed to post an image earlier and it said it was too big, but it's been posted before.  So, I resized it down and it posted fine.

Now, on another thread, I went to post a screen shot I just took and my limit is 4.7KB, which is next to nothing.  The screen shot I have in this instance is 52KB even after having been shrunk.

If there is some individual maximum content size limit for all images posted, to whom would I go to ask that it be increased?  In this day and age having the ability to put inline images to make step-by-step assistance far more clear is really essential, and that's what all of the image posting I've done has been about.  I've never encountered this before on any forum on which I participate and am somewhat surprised, to say the least.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,630 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:53 PM

You can manage your attachments via the User CP, using the link below.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=attachments&do=show

You can delete the attachments you don't need anymore, and see what's your attachment limit there. Also, when I post screenshots, I simply upload them to Imgur.com and use the IMG tags. Way easier and also it doesn't use up space in the attachment system.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,822 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:00 PM

Aura,

Thank you for your prompt response.

I just went to the link you mentioned and have to say that I am appalled, genuinely, that a 10MB limit exists.  Each and every post that I put a image in to needs to have that image there (or is really helped by having that image there) in order for it to make sense.  Given the volume of posting I've been doing lately where these images are being used in threads where I'm trying to direct others I have no intention of deleting what's out there because it can, literally, "break" a thread that's new enough to still be useful and that could remain useful for a long while if the content is there.

It is aggravating beyond belief to have to use a third-party image hosting service for content on a website such as this one, which should serve as a historical repository and which won't if image content is not maintained here.   I am endlessly running into "broken photo" links elsewhere when someone has used the third-party technique and later, for whatever reason, their account on that third-party site is closed or they must prune content there (I'll never know which).

I guess at this point I'll start sticking to text only, and expecting the person reading to do their own digging.  I'm not about to open yet another account on an image hosting website to be able to include images inline in posts here.   I've got enough to manage in cyberspace as it is!  [And, yes, I'm venting, but it's not aimed at you, but at the situation.]

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,567 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:27 PM

Members have 10 MB of storage assigned to each of them. This may not seem like a lot, but jpg of medium quality should only be at most 20kb. That is equivalent to around 420 pictures. Are you using a program that allows you to specify the quality of the jpg files you are uploading? If you can set it to medium, the size of the files will drop dramatically.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,567 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:35 PM

As an example, here is one of the images you uploaded and your upload is 180kb.

post-382577-0-66368900-1450199979.jpg

Here is the same pic reduced to medium quality and thus only about 60kb

example-pic.jpg

The difference in quality is minimal.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,822 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:36 PM

Lawrence,

Thanks, but that doesn't really help me now.  I have a total of 125 images posted, the vast majority of which are under 50KB, but some of which are larger because they started out as photographs (of screens one cannot capture) that I cropped.

At this point I'm stuck, as I can't see the point in deleting any of the existing images.  What I will do, though, is try to see what the URLs are for images I want to repeat in another thread and use the existing BC URL.

I never for a moment thought I'd have to be concerned about this as it has never, and I do mean never, been an issue on any other forum that I participate in where direct upload of images is supported.   I'm quite certain that over a period of years I've posted hundreds of MBs to each of those forums and, so far as I know, can continue including photographs inline, and not via URL to a third-party image hosting service, without limit.   I suppose there are some who would abuse the privilege, but in forums such as this one or others like the automotive forums I participate in where maintenance photos get posted, no one does.

P.S. I try to manage image size, but sometimes I have to do as much "quick and dirty" editing as I can and don't double-check the file size.  These days 180KB is generally considered *tiny* when it comes to an image.

Edited by britechguy, 16 December 2015 - 06:38 PM.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,567 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:48 PM

Let me see what I can do

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,822 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:51 PM

Lawrence,

Thank you very much.   I have no problem at all with a quality reduction on any of the existing images provided they can still be recognized for what they are on the screen.  If I had a way to do it I'd love to go back and use the URL method to insert my many images that were repeats of ones used on other threads in place of the actual full repeat in storage.

This just wasn't on my radar screen!

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:57 PM

My 10mb limit sits at O.

I just use Imgur , its free , does the job.

I keep copies on my Pc of any Notes , Pics , Instructions for tasks.

Make a folder - call it BC and put all your stuff in there....for when needed.

I dont run this site - Thats the Admins job ,  and seems to be working fine for a long time so far.

Im not an expert and most Moderators dont have issues , i would think they would be the first to raise an issue if it was.  

Im not having a dig at you , just thinking outside the box , looks like Grinler is looking in to it for you.

Edited by Havachat, 16 December 2015 - 07:00 PM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,822 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:03 PM

My 10mb limit sits at O.

I just use Imgur , its free , does the job.

I keep copies on my Pc of any Notes , Pics , Instructions for tasks.

Make a folder - call it BC and put all your stuff in there....for when needed.

I dont run this site - Thats the Admins job ,  and seems to be working fine for a long time so far.

Im not an expert and most Moderators dont have issues , i would think they would be the first to raise an issue if it was.  

I am not trying to be snotty, but I really have no interest, none, in adding the following steps (after having done editing/cropping, which I almost always do):

1.  Upload photo or photos to third-party host.

2.  Determine URLs for photos (and on occasions where there are more than a couple that becomes incredibly tedious).

3.  Copy/paste individual URLs into posts (when I have the option, using BC hosting, to upload all the photos and click the appropriate "Add to post" link where I want a photo or photos to go).

The above adds a *lot* of time, and I'll readily admit that it's time I don't want to spend.

I also think it's an incredibly bad idea, from a historical record perspective, which I think is important for forums such as these, to rely on third-party hosting for images.

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,567 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:05 PM

Hmm...your total attachment size is a little over 2mb. So you have plenty of space still.

What topic were you trying to reply to? Were you only inserting one image?

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,822 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:33 PM

Lawrence,

I was only inserting one image and the topic was the Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 recurring problem thread in Win10 Support.

Just so you don't think I'm completely insane, here's a screen shot from the page that Aura directed me to, on Google Drive, which won't directly embed here.

Curiouser and curiouser.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users