Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Lcd Screen Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 angell

angell

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:25 PM

Hi

My friend brought me her hp laptop that shows a red vertical line from the top to the bottom of the lcd screen. The line is there from the moment the computer boots up, i.e., before windows loads up. Is this a video card driver issue or is it a malfunctioning lcd screen? Any help is welcome, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:29 PM

It is probably not a driver issue. It is a hardware issue. Either the video card or the monitor itself, probably the monitor.

You could plug a regular sized monitor into the video plug on the back of the laptop and see if the red line appears on the second monitor. My guess is that it will not, leaving me to believe that your lcd monitor is bad.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 25 July 2006 - 04:32 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 angell

angell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:35 PM

Thanks Genius. Do I need to change any settings on the laptop before I connect a conventional crt monitor to it?

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:37 PM

Usually no. Just plug in a monitor and start up the computer.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 angell

angell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:40 PM

Ok. I'll take it to another friend's house and borrow her monitor. I'll keep you posted. Thanks.

#6 angell

angell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:09 AM

Hi Genius

Sorry to update you after so long. Your suggestion to connect the laptop to a different monitor proved that the video card is fine and that the problem is with the lcd screen. Many thanks once again. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users