Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Primary Drive

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Krispee

Krispee

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:22 PM

Hi all

i have a computer running an Intel 3Ghz Pro on an Asus M/Board, 4Gig of Ram, an Nvivdia Geforce GTX 650, a 60Gig SSD as the primary C drive and a 500 Gig secondary drive. plus a 1T USB backup drive.

when i bought the SSD it was pretty expensive and there wasn`t room to put anything on it but the operating system and everything else had to be installed on the secondary. over time the C drive gradually filled up, so i bought another SSD drive, double in size. i created a system image file from the old C drive and stored it on the USB backup drive. then i created a windows repair disc to boot it from. when it booted with the empty drive it found the image file and rebuilt the new drive with the image file on the backup drive.

then rebooted.

first thing it did was fail to recognize the secondary drive i had attached, came up with an error. so i reattached the old drive and expected it to just start up normally and go back to the way it had been before. but it still failed to recognize the second drive. so i system restored and now not only does it not recognize the second drive it has two primary drives, even though the new SSD isn`t attached anymore.

a sorty into the Device Manager shows the second drive as attached so on some level it is being seen by the OS just won`t show up through the Start Menu so you can`t access the drive. also the shortcuts from the software on that drive are greyed out on the desktop.

has anyone any experience imaging their drives like that and what i might have done wrong, and why it is that i now have two primary drives showing up on My Computer?

regards

Krispee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:19 PM

Cloning is the method to use.

Normally when adding a New Drive , in your case a larger SSD you should disconnect all drives and just leave the old SSD in place and connect the New SSD via sata cables on mobo.

Then if software came with the new SSD as in my case Samsung 500G EVO came with Magician you would use that to Clone the Old to the New.

Magician didnt work for me , so i cloned with Minitool Partition Wizard from Piriform { Free } and it cloned my WD 500 > 500 EVO SSD.

I had a C:\ and D:\ partitions and all went well , you can adjust or auto size fit for larger drives with minitool.

In my case i left the old drive in place and cloned directly to the new drive { Slaved }.

If you can boot from the old drive and no issues , then this is the approach i would take then once done , add your 2nd drive and external and reboot.

Edited by Havachat, 16 December 2015 - 05:23 PM.

#3 Krispee

Krispee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:00 PM

there were two trains of thought, some thought that cloning was the way and others imaging. at the moment it boots ok but just won`t show the second drive and i get the two primary drives, one being a ghost of the other i guess.

i got no software with the new SSD, just the drive.

i`m guessing i`ll have to clean the new drive up or will using clone software just erase everything on there anyway?

pull every drive off the system except the old SSD and the new SSD?

and hope that it will recognize the secondary drive afterwards.......

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:25 PM

You can wipe the new drive with minitool Wizard , after you select the action to do dont forget to click the apply button to start the task.

Minitool has many options to use , also after you clone to the new if any issues do arise { Shouldnt } you still have the old if needed , sort of a backup anyway.

#5 Krispee

Krispee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 02:07 AM

shouldn`t i resolve the issue with my system not recognizing my secondary drive first though?

or will that resolve itself if i just unplug it and try in another sata socket and reboot?

Kris

#6 Krispee

Krispee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:01 AM

actually i now have an error message. it comes up with the 1327 invalid drive error, which according to microsoft is something to do with software and the registry, a missing key i believe. it may be to do with the fact that i have software on the drive and the registry needs updating because of the drive imaging i started.

i don`t know if removing the drive to start with would have solved that problem.

Edited by Krispee, 17 December 2015 - 11:01 AM.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:16 AM

What Windows OS?  Reason for asking:  I'm familiar with Windows 7 Pro and MBR HDs; not familiar with UEFI and GPT HDs.  I was hoping to find which present HD partition is marked Active, which ones are Primary, which ones are Logical; trying to recall how to reawaken Windows to see all attached HDs.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#8 Krispee

Krispee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:56 AM

Win 7 64 bit home premium

i unplugged my secondary drive and reattached it to another sata socket. it shows up now, as another copy of the primary drive. it appears that my secondary drive got overwritten by the system image restore even though it was only supposed to do that to the SSD........

#9 leafwarbler

leafwarbler

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:46 PM

Normally, if you want to upgrade system, you can use MiniTool Partition Wizard to Migrate OS to your new SSD. It is safe and efficient. As you said, it seems you copied system partition but you did not reset the bios mode.

if it is not shown on startup mode,  you can try MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable CD/DVD, which owns the same function like pro. edition. But it can work and manage your drive in the startup mode.

Edited by leafwarbler, 17 December 2015 - 08:48 PM.

#10 Krispee

Krispee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:01 AM

"it seems you copied system partition but you did not reset the bios mode"

Hi leafwarbler

can you explain what you mean by this?

Personally i`m wondering if the windows system image copied itself to both drives instead of one, that`s what i appear to be seeing as i look at My Computer. Is that possible?

Thanks for all your responses. At the moment i`m using DiskDigger to access parts of the drive that haven`t been overwritten and am able to retrieve a few files.

Kris

#11 leafwarbler

leafwarbler

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:26 PM

Hi, sorry to make you confused. I noticed you just copied your system images to USB drive and create a windows repair disc to boot it from USB drive. After everything you finished, you need to reset your bios mode to show where you boot your system. And you need to mark your system partition active. Maybe this is why your secondary drive can not be recognized. 

#12 Krispee

Krispee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:00 AM

@ Leafwarbler - Yes, the System Image was saved on my USB backup drive where it could be accessed by windows when it copied the image to the new drive. i did indeed change my boot order and have changed it back as well.

as an update i spent the better part of the weekend trying to salvage any files on the secondary drive that were not overwritten by the image and found some so it wasn`t all that bad. most of my files were already backed up so i only lost a few. not the end of the world. i then spent longer making sure everything was clean on my old drive, uninstalled everything and ran ccleaner and then system imaged again so that i had a new image to use. changed the drives and used the new image to rebuild my new C drive. then, after it booted, extended the volume. just had to connect up my secondary drive again and my system is purring like a kitten.

the method i read up on works a charm, you just have to make sure you only have one drive connected to the motherboard at any one time.

anyway, thanks for all your help, all is now well.

Kris

Edited by Krispee, 21 December 2015 - 11:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users