Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help my PC keeps crashing.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SergeantSlipper

SergeantSlipper

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:08 AM

It seems to be since I uninstalled AVG and installed Avast but I;m not sure. For a few weeks now it has been taking along time to load up windows when I turn my Pc on. It also only seems to be when Im running programs or games also when I am playing games the FPS is considerably lower than usual. I followed some steps laid out in another forum and I think I did a "SF /Scannow" command in command prompt and it said there were some corrupt files and I think it fixed them Im not sure if that helps. Regardless the problem still persists

THankyou anyone who may be able to help me with this.

EDIT:

Ok just to add some more information, Im using firefox right now and watching videos and it doesnt seem to be crashing my pc. Also doing a virus scan on avast crashes the program and doing a scan on AVG crashes my pc. Uninstalling either also crashes my pc.

I went into repair mode after one of the crashes (it asked me if I wanted to on startup and it said it was recommended) and it failed to repair and said if I had any cameras or music devices connected to the computer I had to unplug them and retry, however I dont have anything connected video USB other than headphones, mouse and keyboard, and my Samsung exxternal E drive.

When the PC crashes it looks like it goes to a blue screen with lots of writing on and before I can read it my pc restarts and asks me if I want to run in safe mode.

My C drive has like 1.10 gb of space left on it, although I doubt it is an issue as I;ve been running my PC like this since I got it. It's only a 60gb drive so I have no idea what to uninstall to free up space I think most of the programs I use are on my external portable E drive

EDIT2: So I tested 4 games and 3 of them run really bad and crash, and the other game seems to be fine

EDIT3: do you think I may have damaged my hard drive? I knocked my pc the other day and it sort of wobbled on the hard wood floor :(

Edited by SergeantSlipper, 16 December 2015 - 02:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:07 AM

Windows likes 15% free space in order to perform stuff "behind the scenes" without adversely affecting the system's performance.  Please free up 15% on ALL hard drives (you can get away with 10% on larger drives and won't notice a large performance penalty)

Please provide this information so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

Should you have problems with the perfmon report, please disregard it (I don't use it very much anyway).

Should the app lock up for more than 15 minutes while searching for Network information (it does this in my copy of W10), go ahead and kill the app. 
Then navigate to the Documents folder and zip up the 18 reports in the SysnativeFileCollectionApp folder - then upload that with your next post.

If that doesn't work, then you can try this new app (from a friend of mine):  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
***********************************************************************************************************

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 SergeantSlipper

SergeantSlipper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:25 AM

Windows likes 15% free space in order to perform stuff "behind the scenes" without adversely affecting the system's performance.  Please free up 15% on ALL hard drives (you can get away with 10% on larger drives and won't notice a large performance penalty)

Please provide this information so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

Should you have problems with the perfmon report, please disregard it (I don't use it very much anyway).

Should the app lock up for more than 15 minutes while searching for Network information (it does this in my copy of W10), go ahead and kill the app. 
Then navigate to the Documents folder and zip up the 18 reports in the SysnativeFileCollectionApp folder - then upload that with your next post.

If that doesn't work, then you can try this new app (from a friend of mine):  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
***********************************************************************************************************

Hi there, thankyou so much for your response. I tried turning my computer on this morning and it stays on for maybe 30 seconds after eventually getting to the desktop, then i restarts and has done this around 6 times so I don't think I'm going to be able to do what you suggested sorry. I'm posting this from my laptop. Do you have any other advice? And thanks again usasma

#4 SergeantSlipper

SergeantSlipper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:04 AM

Ok I think I fixed it. PC seems to be running fine. I think it was avast messing with me again (last time i posted here was because of avast), I had to run windows in safe mode, disable avast in msconfig under services and startup then restart windows. So far it seems to be running fine and hasn't crashed. But we will see. no idea if I can uninstall Avast or if it will crash it again because I have to open it to uninstall it right? Also any ideas on a decent anti virus? Avast was recommended to me but I've had nothing but trouble with it. Also I think there was a recent update for AVG which alos them to sell browser info to third parties so I'd like to avoid them too. Windows deffender was also recommended to me but it never seemed to find viruses. AVG didnt find them THAT often but it kinda felt re-reassuring to see it find a virus every now and then.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:40 PM

Free Avast uninstaller listed here:  http://www.carrona.org/avuninst.html

I suggest Windows Defender (I've used it as long as it's been out - and used Microsoft Security Essentials for years before that). 

If it's not adequate for you, then I'd suggest something like Kaspersky Internet Security, Trend Micro Internet Security, or Webroot Internet Security.

Unfortunately they are all subscription (pay-for) based.

In the spirit of full disclosure, those are the one's that we sell and recommend at work.

FYI - there's a free antimalware test file here:  http://www.eicar.org/

When I download the eicar.com file, Windows Defender (I'm using W10) immediately finds and deletes it.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users