Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade everything in an old Case

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Robbie7712

Robbie7712

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:08 AM

Hello friends--
The problem--
I need to use 2 Monitors from a single PC. I have two Desktops----an HP Pavilion t3550 and a Fujitsu-Siemens P5905. Both have only a single VGA connector, and need to go DVI / HDMI.
     Both PCs are also pretty slow now, and I only use the Fj. OS Windows 7 Ultimate, on an SSD  . I want to replace MB, and Graphics, which means also a new PSU--present only 300W. Pavillion presently has an Asrock G31M-GS R2.0  MB
   Thinking of  using a Renkforce Tuning set,-- Asrock H81 M-HDS HD 4400 Graphics (Micro ATX) with DDR3 4GB RAM or similar-- AMD FX 4300- as the basis,-- I think the Pavillion case would be the easier to upgrade--more room, as the Fj is pretty tight inside. Also want to keep Windows 7 at present--but maybe upgrade to W10 at some stage- Would obviously need to reinstall the OS so would up the SSD to 120GB--presently 80GB.
How do I match up a suitable Graphics Card, a PSU, (maybe a Thermaltake "Hamburg" 530 W ?) --Sound Card? Wireless Card?   Wlan is presently an older Fritzbox --(7141)- etc. I want to do this myself, but have absolutely no experience. I am a "silver surfer"---no gamer--no interest in such. What I want is a faster, and more reliable setup than at present  at not to much expense. The mechanics of fitting is no problem--putting the right setup together is. Appreciate any help / suggestions.
 Robbie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:47 AM

What is your budget?

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#3 Robbie7712

Robbie7712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:26 PM

Hello Batman--thanks for your interest.  Around 400-450 Euros .  The 2 Renkforce sets mentioned are available @  200€ each--the PSU around 55€--Sapphire AMD R7 240 Graphics 70€ --120GB SSD 70€  --think probably 4GB DDR3 RAM req'd--not sure of cost.

Look forward to your thoughts--appreciated

Robbie

#4 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 12:23 AM

AMD FX 4300 will not work on Intel H81 motherboard, you will need a Intel CPU. For your need i3-4170 or i5-4460 will be enough. Please note that H81 motherboard might need a BIOS update to use these processor. You can buy H97 motherboard that support these processors out-of-the-box, ASUS H97M-PLUS is a very good motherboard

If you want to go for AMD processor, ASRock 970M Pro3 will do quite well.

If you don't games, the integrated graphics of Intel processors is good enough, you no need a dedicated graphics card. However, dedicated GPU is required if you choose FX processors.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users