Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-Spyware: What are people using, and why?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:07 AM

Hello All,

I hope this is the appropriate forum for this sort of question.  For years I used Spybot Search & Destroy but it seems to have fallen out of favor with those "in the know" for a number of reasons.  When I set up new systems I generally like to install Malwarebytes, Spywareblaster, and a specific anti-spyware scanning tool.

What anti-spyware scanning & removal tool are you using and why do you prefer it over others?

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:03 PM

I generally recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as the backbone to supplementing my anti-virus software. Although if you use Emsisoft, it is not necessary to use a separate antivirus solution since EAM combines its technology with Bitdefender Anti-Virus. See my comments in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why.

I also recommend using the following:

To protect against the increasing threat of ransomware, I recommend one or two of the following:

To protect your browser and help prevent advertisements & block websites, I generally recommend one or more of the following:

Notes about Adblock Plus and NoScript:
Google, Amazon, Microsoft pay to get ads past Adblock Plus
Adblock Plus is letting companies pay to let their ads through
Allowing acceptable ads in Adblock Plus
Attention NoScript Users - Adblock Plus

Also see How to detect vulnerable and out-dated programs using Secunia PSI.

Backing up your data and disk imaging are among the most important maintenance tasks users should perform on a regular basis, yet it's one of the most neglected areas.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• Topic Starter

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:14 PM

Thanks for your input.  It is appreciated.

Have you by any chance seen the final post (as of the moment) in the thread Windows 10 reinstalling uninstalled LibreOffice upon Restart on the Win10 Support forum with regard to SecuniaPSI?  I am completely unfamiliar with this program, but the concern expressed there appears as though it could be legitimate and I'm wondering what someone far more familiar with this program might have to say.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:35 PM

Secunia PSI is a free security tool designed to detect vulnerable and out-dated programs/plug-ins which expose your computer to malware infection. Grinler, (aka Lawrence Abrams) the site owner of BleepingComputer created that tutorial.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:39 AM

Britechguy, along with Emsisoft AM, I also have SUPERAntispyware [2nd opinion scheduled scans & it has a file removal module that sure comes in handy!].

Quietman7, I've stopped using SegunaPSI because I want to be in control if/when an update happens, just like I do for WU.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:14 AM

Quietman7, I've stopped using SegunaPSI because I want to be in control if/when an update happens, just like I do for WU.

I understand and feel the same way. I was addressing britechguy's concern about it since he was unfamiliar with the program.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:19 PM

@RolandJS

Secunia PSI does NOT do any updating without your knowledge or approval. It is merely a scanner that lists the installed applications and their version numbers and the current one if it is outdated. It also shows you the ones that are current and do not need any attention. You are in full control and can even remove from being scanned any applications that you want to maintain an older version of. It also provides a link to the vendor site if you happen to forget where to get the update.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 09:47 AM

Animal, I did not know the info you posted about SegunaPSI.  I used to use v2.x 'cause I had full control over what was updated and what was not updated.  I stopped at version 3, 'cause back then, v3 gave end-user no control.  What version are you using now?  Is there a specific URL that can give me the version you use, the one which gives you full control over update/not update?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 philfil

philfil

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:47 AM

I don't think I use any anti-spyware. My "impregnable" security suite consists of Windows Firewall, Microsoft Security Essentials and Microsoft EMET - all Microsoft stuff.

(Having now lost any credibility I might have had, I'll now keep quiet on the matter!)

#10 moota1514

moota1514

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:16 AM

I generally recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as the backbone to supplementing my anti-virus software. Although if you use Emsisoft, it is not necessary to use a separate antivirus solution since EAM combines its technology with Bitdefender Anti-Virus. See my comments in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why.

I also recommend using the following:

To protect against the increasing threat of ransomware, I recommend one or two of the following:

To protect your browser and help prevent advertisements & block websites, I generally recommend one or more of the following:

Notes about Adblock Plus and NoScript:
Google, Amazon, Microsoft pay to get ads past Adblock Plus
Adblock Plus is letting companies pay to let their ads through
Allowing acceptable ads in Adblock Plus
Attention NoScript Users - Adblock Plus

Also see How to detect vulnerable and out-dated programs using Secunia PSI.

Backing up your data and disk imaging are among the most important maintenance tasks users should perform on a regular basis, yet it's one of the most neglected areas.

Thanks just used the "configure Ghostery" great help.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:22 AM

I don't think I use any anti-spyware. My "impregnable" security suite consists of Windows Firewall, Microsoft Security Essentials and Microsoft EMET - all Microsoft stuff...

You need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution for maximum protection.

An anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs generally scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.
Anti-malware programs generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.

#12 philfil

philfil

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:50 AM

quietman wrote;

You need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution for maximum protection.

Actually, I do use other software, but I'm not sure how it would be categorised - browser addons Ghostery and NoScript together with Winpatrol.

This is what is on the Security Essentials interface:

"Virus, spyware and other malware definitions are files that are used to identify malicious or potentially unwanted software on your PC.

These definitions are updated automatically, ...."

This suggests that Security Essentials isn't confined to hunting down viruses.

I scan with Malwarebytes (free) occasionally just to check that nothing has slipped through - it has never found anything.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:11 PM

Although Microsoft Security Essentials provides some anti-malware protection...it does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. This is true for most anti-virus solutions. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs generally scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.
Anti-malware programs generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.

Please read Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools for information about trustworthy and effective anti-malware programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users