Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows cant see new installed RAM

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Krishanu

Krishanu

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:16 AM

Hi all,
Currently I am trying to install a 8GB RAM in my HP ab029tx(preinstalled 4GB).
I inserted it one the 2nd SODIMM slot available and it got clipped as normal.
But returning to windows , it is showing only 4GB(preinstalled).
RAMMON from passmark is detecting the RAM in 2nd slot as shown in below image.
scJiyux.jpg
But according to my windows10, there is no existence of the 2nd RAM.
pYbMfcX.jpg

I uploaded detailed result of RAMMON in html format in google drive.

I have checked msconfig and max RAM is unticked there.
And according to spec, it supports upto 16GB. hp link
Please help !!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:03 PM

Just as a first test, take out the 4GB stick and move the 8GB stick to the first slot and see what happens when you boot with just the 8GB stick in place.

If it works with just the 8GB RAM stick installed then at least the stick is good. I note that, from your image above, the RAM is by two different makers. RAM sticks are known to be sometimes fussy about what they are paired up with. Sometimes sticks of different sizes and from different makers will not work together.

If the computer works with the 8GB stick in slot 1, try adding the 4GB stick back in slot 2 and see if you get a total of 12. If you don't, the slot may be faulty.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Krishanu

Krishanu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 02:10 PM

Just as a first test, take out the 4GB stick and move the 8GB stick to the first slot and see what happens when you boot with just the 8GB stick in place.

If it works with just the 8GB RAM stick installed then at least the stick is good. I note that, from your image above, the RAM is by two different makers. RAM sticks are known to be sometimes fussy about what they are paired up with. Sometimes sticks of different sizes and from different makers will not work together.

If the computer works with the 8GB stick in slot 1, try adding the 4GB stick back in slot 2 and see if you get a total of 12. If you don't, the slot may be faulty.

Chris Cosgrove

hi Chris,

I tried by removing the 4GB and inserted the new 8GB in 1st slot. It didnt boot up. And the caps lock key light was toggling in a specific pattern. I gave it some time thinking it is doing something but no result. Then I inserted the 4GB RAM in the 2nd slot(see now the positions are swapped ,thus we can say the slots are working), and it booted up with the same old result( 4GB RAM detected)
Now can we say the RAM stick is faulty if CPU-Z and RAMMON is showing it ? And their configurations are identical in 20 different parameters according to RAMMON, except voltage, where 4GB support both 1.35v & 1.5v and the new one only 1.5v.

Edited by Krishanu, 17 December 2015 - 02:10 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,707 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:32 PM

That voltage difference could well be your problem here if the rail voltage is at the 1.35V level. Is it possible in the BIOS to raise the rail to 1.5V ?  You might find it helpful to look at #2 in this topic where The_Patriot discusses this problem -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/599508/ram/

I am going to send him a PM to ask him to have a look at your problem - his technical knowledge in this area is well ahead of mine - but I suspect this is where your problem lies.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:34 PM

I would suspect the problem lies in different voltage ram modules...I would check the specs on the new ram, go into the bios and find the ram voltage setting, probably under the advanced motherboard tweaker (might be, probably called something else) and check what the voltage on the board is. If it doesn't match the new stick then change it to the new stick, save and exit, shut the computer off and try to boot it with only the new stick of ram installed, and see what happens.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 Krishanu

Krishanu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 02:24 AM

thanks a lot, looks like it is a voltage issue only.
My processor spec

also says that it support only low voltage ram !!
according to RAMMON & hyundai semiconductor their RAM (my older 4GB) can run on 1.5 volt also.
But I am not seeing any option in BIOS to change voltage!

Edited by Krishanu, 18 December 2015 - 02:25 AM.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:52 PM

being a OEM computer, the option may not be there. Some Ram modules are simply incompatible, sad to say.  You might just have to RMA it for different ram.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#8 Krishanu

Krishanu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:58 AM

Hi guys, I was able to return the DDR3 RAM , and replaced with DDR3L RAM from transcend.
It is getting detected now, thanks a lot for your help.
May the glass be with you. :guitar: :guitar:

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:20 AM

No problem glad you got it figured out. Of there's anything else we can help you with let us know. :-)

picard5.jpg

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,707 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 05:36 PM

Seconded !  Glad you got an answer to your problem.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users