Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oz Unity, and Ultimate Editions - Discussion and my opinion.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,897 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:26 AM

The first time I heard of Oz Unity, and Ultimate Editions was when wizardfromoz posted it here.

May be of interest to the Aussies - and others - some are newer, some are older.

Oz Unity, and Ultimate Editions -

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ueoz/

:wizardball: Wizard

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/406036/cheesemakers-linux-corner/?p=3884763

I decided to give it a try on my i5 laptop with 4 GiB and 128 GiB SSD
ndpt7t.png

This is Oz Unity Star Sapphire 64 I added Conky, and all I can say is nice find Wiz, I  quite like this, something like this will get us more converts to Linux, This thing has just about everything a Windows convert would ever need straight from install There are 153 preinstalled bits of software.  Browser security and privacy plug ins are pre installed, even has some cool compiz settings pre set , Its got everything.

If you have a spare 30 GiB HDD its 15GiB installed plus you need a little wiggle room, Install it and try it out, You will Like it.

I do not suggest you try and run this on a light weight machine and there is no 32 bit version, This is a full blown Distro that don’t spare the horses so to speak.

This is how I experience Ubuntu everyday and have done for a long time now, I use most of the software that is pre-installed on this distro, I use Compiz and geek it up because I can, You have all seen some of my desktops and videos of them with different themes and so on,  Well this will let you have the cool looking Ubuntu distro  that can do just about ( cough cough ) anything. It is slick gui everything, This is how a first timer should experience Linux.

Try it out is all I say, You will like it. Make sure to update it.

Well done to the devs. 

Nice video here.

EDITED to add new download link

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ueoz/

Edited by NickAu, 06 January 2017 - 05:48 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:28 AM

They look awesome! I am downloading Oz Unity Star Sapphire 64 just now. I probably won't install it, but will boot from the ISO and have a look around.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:30 PM

How about one of you more experienced guys posting a set of instructions...how to mount it to a usb stick etc etc...

Also, are there any guides etc about running this as a dual boot setup with windows 10 ..?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 12,897 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:31 PM

Hey Condo.

how to mount it to a usb stick etc etc...

You can run it from DVD or use something like unetbootin to Create a live USB

Also, are there any guides etc about running this as a dual boot setup with windows 10 ..?

19 Ways To Install Linux How To Install Ubuntu Linux Alongside Windows 10 (UEFI ...

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:00 AM

How about one of you more experienced guys posting a set of instructions...how to mount it to a usb stick etc etc...

If the computer is a MBR (BIOS based) computer, installing a dual boot is just like with any other Windows OS. 

If it's UEFI along with GPT partitioning & don't want to change that (other than Secure Boot may need to be disabled), than one of the options that Nick linked with likely help. While I do have a UEFI based PC, wanted Windows 7 & the disabling of Secure Boot wasn't enough, GPT had to go for all installed drives for 7 to install (this was Dell imposed, I have a 2008 HP dc5800 business PC running Windows 7 on GPT). Though I could have kept GPT & installed Linux Mint, this is just plain out stupid crap beyond my reasoning. 

If 2006 & 2008 models of computers can run 64 bit OS's in GPT mode, don't see why newer ones can't. For the record, GPT is approaching being 11 years old. Some computers will run & dual boot in GPT mode, others won't. 

BTW, I noticed that post by Wiz also, though probably jokingly, he recommended the OS to his fellow AU members. The Ultimate Edition has been out for some time, though it's changed over the years to keep up with the times, and is a fairly popular OS, what keeps it out of the Top 10 is probably what Nick stated above. 

I do not suggest you try and run this on a light weight machine and there is no 32 bit version, This is a full blown Distro that don’t spare the horses so to speak.

Even the 32 bit versions of the Ultimate Edition aren't for 10+ year old computers running a couple of Gigs of DDR RAM. One would be best with a computer that shipped with 64 bit Windows 7 (as most did), and of at least medium specs. A powerful Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad or later i5 or better, along with 6 to 8GB RAM will provide a better experience. Older & today's low spec AMD's, such as the A-4 & A-6 & even modern dual core Intel Pentium & Celeron CPU's can forget it, there has to be some ponies under the hood. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 02:35 AM

@NickAu and others:

and all I can say is nice find Wiz

Actually, Nimbin one, you can say more, quite easily.

Consider reviewing it over at Testdriving Linux

It's a simple enough format I have used, there. I thought about reviewing it myself, but rather than the Topic being about I,I,I,Me,Me,Me - contributions are welcome and can cast a different perspective, that will be of value to Members Users and Readers.

I have to review Manjaro soon, by request, also to feature Vinux over at Visually Challenged

... so my Holiday Season is booked up.

I only found Oz Unity by accident, but now that I have, I may revisit those lower-ranked Distros (on Distrowatch). None of us has an exclusive mortgage on knowing what the best Linux Distro is, for beginners to Power Users ... without having tried some of the "also-rans". There could be an Eldorado-style gold nugget out there, and all it takes is a little digging to find it.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wizard

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 05:55 AM

There could be an Eldorado-style gold nugget out there, and all it takes is a little digging to find it.

+1! :thumbup2:

That's the position that Linux Mint was in when I first began running it, a lot lower down the line than Ubuntu MATE of today, by which chance the 15.10 version is the worst I've seen. 14.04.2 had a ton of drop down menu shortcuts & very stable, the number of shorcuts has been reduced by half. And the Marco whatever is constantly giving errors, and though I reported it, sure wasn't the first to. This is the issue with short term releases. 

Looks like Canonical wants to sabotage the progress Ubuntu MATE has made in such a short time, though given it's success, it would seem that they'd want to keep the train moving forward to regain total usershare, many who runs it are those who were pre-Unity comebacks (compare to 10.04 & it's essentially the same OS) & many who are new to Linux altogether, the LTS version is very user friendly. 15.10 isn't, and is about to be removed from my computer, will revert to the LTS release. 

At any rate, Linux Mint was once one of those 'Eldorado-style gold nuggets' not known by many, and look where it's at today. From the dust of the earth to the front of the pack, and this was nearly 4 years ago (late 2011) on the DistroWatch site, when it barely overtook Ubuntu in popularity, and has never looked back. Now Ubuntu is a close #4, behind Debian, the granddaddy of all Linux distros, and even behind CentOS in the last 7 days. OpenSuse was in front of Ubuntu for the last 30. Yet wow, that was a huge leap for CentOS to make in that period, moving from #8 to #3. 

http://distrowatch.com/index.php?dataspan=1

While I'll agree that these charts aren't the real world counts as far as installed OS's goes, it's an indicator of activity, and as I've sid in the past, no one else is doing any counting, so what's there to dispute it? What it does show is that interest in Linux is growing as a whole, and that's a good thing, no matter which are in the top 10 distros. Prior to recent months, it was Linux Mint, followed by Ubuntu for years, now other distros are getting attention, and neither OpenSuse nor CentOS has any affiliation with Ubuntu, so no one can say these are getting the ride off of the back of Ubuntu. While many on the list are, those aren't, and neither are half of the Top 10 in the past 30 days. 

Yet somewhere down the list, is another potential superstar, the 'Eldorado-style gold nugget' that Wiz is looking for, hopefully will find it before someone else does. 

The Ultimate Edition has had it's share of ups & downs, yet on Distrowatch, it's described as having a lot, as well as wide choice of DE's. Well worth a spin, as there's an Xfce & MATE edition, including others. While there are some heavyweights, a few light ones as well. The one that Nick shows is a true heavyweight, needs to be ran on a decently powered computer, and not the sub-20W (as well as sub-2.0Ghz) CPU's, of which some of these i7's are not true quad cores. One needs a good 35-45W CPU minimum if a notebook, if a desktop, there are several 84-88W i5 & i7's to choose from in the Haswell line that will easily run these powerful OS's. 

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ultimate

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users