Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pci Cards Not Working

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kravenmk5

kravenmk5

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:07 PM

I recently added a second video card for an SLI configuration in my computer, and had to purchase a new power supply as well for it to work. The power supply purchased was a Kingwin ABT-520MA1W. Everything seems to be working fine except for my PCI cards; Windows XP no longer recognizes my Audigy 2ZS sound card or my Creative 56k modem as even being plugged in. Unfortunately, that is the only means I have to access the Internet from that computer. I did have to change which PCI ports they plug in to, but aside from the video cards, no other hardware changed. Re-installing the motherboard, modem, and sound card drivers did not help.

I checked the power supply's manual, and it does not mention a Socket 939 AMD-based motherboard as being supported (K8 933, 945, & 955 and K7's are). I am running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ on an ASUS A8N SLI Premium motherboard.

My best guess is that the PCI ports aren't getting power, but everything plugs in (except the Intel EPS +12V connector). Is there another way I can check to see what is going on? I'd simply return the P/S and buy a new one but Newegg.com does not list any motherboard compatibilities with power supplies; I would simply be guessing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kravenmk5

kravenmk5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:10 PM

Update: I plugged my speakers into the motherboard's ports and a voice said "system failure...[unintelligible]." The P/S smelled like it was starting a smoke check, so I cut it off and gutted it.

I put everything back into original configuration, removing the new video card and installing the old P/S, but now my system won't even pretend to turn on. The green light on the motherboard lights up, but the power button might as well not even be there.

This is beyond me, so I guess I'll take it to some repair guy to find out what exactly is fried before buying more parts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users