Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Posting Images here.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Taffy_078

Taffy_078

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:08 AM

I feel rather stupid - I can't post images here nor can I find any reference to it in the otherwise brilliant advisory posts.

The route here is to post the URL - I use OneDrive but when I hit 'share' then 'get link' all I get is a white x in a black square in an outer rectangle.

What am I doing wrong, please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Taffy_078

Taffy_078
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:13 AM

PC when I search before posting I found a thread in Suggestions. The author said that some file-sharing sources are insecure in that they allow others not only to view your image but every other image in the 'share' folder. Some, I'm told, even show your real name at that stage.

Can anyone advise me if OneDrive is secure in this respect?

#3 Taffy_078

Taffy_078
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:19 AM

what a co-incidence - a friend happened to be in the forum and saw my miserable plea for help. He's emailed me to ask if I tried the "shorten link" button. :blush:

I have now so will try again:

No - same result, mate! A white x in a black square.

What am I doing wrong?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,894 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:18 AM

You're not doing anything wrong.  This forum software, and a number of others, do not post links to images on cloud drives very well.  They expect something (and logically, I might add) that ends in the actual image file name.  If you look at the sharing link you get from OneDrive or Google Drive these do not contain the file name.  I don't know about OneDrive, but Google does some of it's own formatting for storage.  When you click on one of their links you go into a viewer that's specific to them.  When you download an image from them it gets "converted back" into the original file format that was uploaded.

Here I'm including an image that's used on my website:

BTG_Rainbow_Sm.png

It is hosted on Amazon's S3 cloud service and the URL is  of the format: http://s3.amazonaws.com/. . ./{image_name}.png.  As you can see, this works like a charm.  However, if I try to use the shared link that Google Drive gives me, I get the "broken image" icon just like you do.

I really hope that eventually either the cloud services will start giving links "that work everywhere" or that forums software will recognize links from specific cloud services that use reformatting and be able to render them correctly (or at least embed them such that you can "Click for image" rather than giving a broken image icon).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:27 AM

You need to upload the image to an image hosting site such as http://imgur.com/, http://photobucket.com/ or whatever hosting site you choose.

After uploading to the site, copy the appropriate link and paste it into your reply.

I use imgur and the link is BBCode (message boards & forums). I don't know what other sites call it but it will look like this

[img=http://name of image link/extension]
Others will be similar.

#6 Taffy_078

Taffy_078
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 03:06 AM

Thank you both - your help, as ever, is much appreciated. :clapping:  :clapping:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users