Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How much ram for win 7 & can old Toshiba laptop handle it?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TerryV

TerryV

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:42 PM

Season Greetings to the BC community, I am looking for some advice on a Toshiba Satellite Laptop Model A305-S6905, 500 GB Seagate, 3GB PC6400 DDR2 SDRAM, Win 7 Professional. This was a salvaged Vista computer for my son, who is, shall we say, economically disadvantaged at this time. Long story short, a friend in IT threw a salvaged HD on it and said, "it'l take win 7" I assumed that he was talking Home Premium. It works OK, BUT, it seems to think for a while when you do any thing with it, eg work on Word docs.

I understand that win 7 likes about 8 gigs, but the specs on the Toshiba say that 4 Gb is max, so, buy a 2 GB chip and call that george? Are there 4 GB chips that will work in this machine and if so will it improve the performance? Thanks, TerryV.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:22 AM

The minimum 7 can work with {with all the bells and whistles called Aero} is at the very least, 2GB maybe 2.5GB if your laptop can handle up to 4GB you should be just fine; my own machine can handle up to 8GB ram and right now has four, uses about a third of it just to idle. So expect high ram use if using less ram, and less bells and whistles as well

Hope it helps {not that familar with toshiba machines, only Dell}

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:30 AM

The maximum amount of RAM in each slot is 2GB for a total system amount of 4GB which will make Windows 7 run well.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users