Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Post! Messaging from my Chromebook - Iphone

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mgar

mgar

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:12 PM

Hi all,

Long time bleeping computer user but just made an account!

So I know that it's possible to SMS and MMS from a Mac and Iphone. Is it possible to send messages using an App from my Chromebook and my Iphone number?

Haven't found anything on the internet - it looks like it only works with Android - but I wanted to ask the smart folks in this forum!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 12:04 AM

If you live in the US, then Google Voice might do what you want...except for that part of using your existing iPhone number (with the exception of if you use Sprint...Sprint has a deal where you can use your Sprint number for your Google Voice number...for others, you would get a new number).

I use Google Voice as a way to keep my old cell number active (and not have to update everyone with my new number).

Technically, Google Voice does not support MMS, but I get text messages with pictures (aka MMS) by way of the Google email address that is associated with my Google Voice account when someone sends me a text message with pictures.

There is an iPhone app...not sure if there is a Chromebook app (looks like there might be something in the Chrome store), but you can certainly log into your Google Voice account from a Chromebook.

I will note that when you get a message by way of Google Voice, it also comes to the Google email address that is associated with that Google Voice account. You can then reply to that message using email as well.

Note that if you do have Sprint and activate Google Voice on that number, then Google Voice will "take over" for your voicemail service. You can read more here: https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1207070?hl=en

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users