Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Opening Things...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 cherylisfun

cherylisfun

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:13 PM

My computer is being VERY slow, slow on desktop at opening folders, slow loading, slow at everyting,
I think it is an actual computer problem and not adware/spyware. I have eTrust anti virus, ewido anti-spy ware, ad- aware, spybot, n spyware blaster which i update n run regularly. I recently got PC pitstop optimize and use that.
What else is there for me to do? Thanks in advance and I am running Windows XP sp2 on a Compaq computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:22 PM

Follow the instructions here:
Slow Computer Checklist
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

#3 zemoman

zemoman

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:22 PM

Ok this simple problem may just be do to low ram. Tell me how much memory your computer has in the next post. Also if I were you I would run an virus and spyware/adware scan just to be sure its not from any of those problems.
ROOTKITS BAD!

#4 cherylisfun

cherylisfun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:11 PM

Ok this simple problem may just be do to low ram. Tell me how much memory your computer has in the next post. Also if I were you I would run an virus and spyware/adware scan just to be sure its not from any of those problems.

Could you tell me how to see how much ram i have? =/

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:13 PM

Start > right click on My Computer > Properties
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 cherylisfun

cherylisfun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 03:15 AM

oK Thank You

Here it is....
2.70 GHZ
248 MB of RAM

#7 noelckc

noelckc

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 04:41 AM

248MB says it all.its ur ram.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:29 AM

In order for XP to run properly it really needs double the Ram you have.

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:32 AM

In theory 256 MB of RAM will operate XP. But only barely. And then nothing else. So, what happens in the real world is we install several programs on our computers, and then they autostart when we boot up the computer. When a program opens, it opens into RAM memory. But if you only have 256 MB of RAM, it gets filled up and the computer has a hard time operating effeciently, or in bad cases, at all. The computer slows down. It does not respond. All kinds of frusterating behavior.

The answer can be two fold. First, tell programs not to start when you boot the computer. The fewer things running the better your computer will operate. Next, increase the amount of RAM in your computer. 512 MB seems to be a good amount for most home users. I have 1 GB in my computer, but I am starting to build business computers with as much as 2 GB of RAM. This is mostly for future use, not for current needs.

I hope this info helps.

Of course, we would be glad to answer any specific questions you have, such as which programs to turn off, and how. Or what type of RAM you need and where to buy it, as well as how to install it, if you need that help.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#10 zemoman

zemoman

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:12 PM

Ok go to START>ACCESSOIRES>SYSTEM TOOLS>DISK DEFRAGMENTER. Choose your HD and then click defrag. This will organize your harddrive so your computer can run more efficient and faster. I would also think of getting more memory for your computer, Im currently running 2 GB of RAM on my computer. Depending on how much ram you will have to get depends on how or what you use you computer for if its home use 1Gb and if its home use BUt you want it super fast get 2 GB like me.
ROOTKITS BAD!

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:54 PM

I've been able to get systems running for folks using XP and only having 128 mB of RAM - but it's constant work to keep it running. The same goes with 256 mB.

512 is the minimum "get by with" level - but IMO 1 gB is optimum for XP.

But only you can make the cost versus performance decision. To keep it running on less RAM will take a lot of work in maintaining the system and deciding what's safe to keep running and what's safe to keep from running.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 cherylisfun

cherylisfun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:12 PM

I would like to purchase some more. Could you please give me the details on how much to buy and where to buy and things? Thank You very much.
-Cheryl

In theory 256 MB of RAM will operate XP. But only barely. And then nothing else. So, what happens in the real world is we install several programs on our computers, and then they autostart when we boot up the computer. When a program opens, it opens into RAM memory. But if you only have 256 MB of RAM, it gets filled up and the computer has a hard time operating effeciently, or in bad cases, at all. The computer slows down. It does not respond. All kinds of frusterating behavior.

The answer can be two fold. First, tell programs not to start when you boot the computer. The fewer things running the better your computer will operate. Next, increase the amount of RAM in your computer. 512 MB seems to be a good amount for most home users. I have 1 GB in my computer, but I am starting to build business computers with as much as 2 GB of RAM. This is mostly for future use, not for current needs.

I hope this info helps.

Of course, we would be glad to answer any specific questions you have, such as which programs to turn off, and how. Or what type of RAM you need and where to buy it, as well as how to install it, if you need that help.

#13 cherylisfun

cherylisfun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:13 PM

Everytime I try to defrag it tells me that it doesn't need to be defragged at this time. =/

Ok go to START>ACCESSOIRES>SYSTEM TOOLS>DISK DEFRAGMENTER. Choose your HD and then click defrag. This will organize your harddrive so your computer can run more efficient and faster. I would also think of getting more memory for your computer, Im currently running 2 GB of RAM on my computer. Depending on how much ram you will have to get depends on how or what you use you computer for if its home use 1Gb and if its home use BUt you want it super fast get 2 GB like me.

#14 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:43 PM

Could you please give me the details on how much to buy and where to buy and things?

Sure, Cheryl. Just tell me the model number of your computer and I will research it for you.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:17 PM

First - download and install Everest Home Edition, V1.51 which is the last freeware version that includes a software module which lists all software installed on your computer and provides all the license key numbers – a great tool which has been deleted from all successive freeware versions.

Download here from the Utilities section:
http://www.oldversion.com

This will give you the exact specs on the memory you have installed (and a lot of other information about your computer)

Then go to Crucial.com and use their Crucial Memory Advisor™ Tool
http://www.crucial.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users