Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade Now or Upgrade Tonight

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:55 PM

Microsoft’s new Windows 10 upgrade options: ‘Upgrade now’ or ‘Upgrade tonight’:BGR

Ever since Microsoft launched Windows 10 over the summer, Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users have been pressured to upgrade to the latest version of the operating system. It was relatively innocuous at first, but as months have passed, Microsoft has become increasingly obnoxious. The notifications were all but unavoidable, and now things have truly come to a head.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,823 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:04 PM

I keep hearing these "stories of coercion" but have yet to experience any of it.

My laptop is the only Windows 10 computer in my household (I'm not counting the one that doesn't get used because the hardware was too old and there are no drivers).  I have a Windows 7 Home laptop, a Windows 7 Ultimate desktop, and a Windows 8.1 laptop all of which are running GWX and have been "forever" since I reserved a copy of Windows 10 on each at the earliest opportunity.

I'm getting nothing more than the little blue boxes showing up every once in a while, not even once per week, and that can simply be dismissed.  Even the dialog that's shown in this article can be closed with the click of the red X box, which there isn't a Windows user in the world who doesn't know this (unless they started using Windows about 5 minutes ago).

Microsoft is aggressively promoting changing over to Windows 10.  But it's not forcing it nor are those promotions interrupting anyone's routine multiple times per day (I know of no one getting these more than once about every 10 days).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:48 PM

After bugging users incessantly, forcing them to download 3-5GB files in the background without their knowledge and even going so far as to launch the upgrade service “accidentally” on some computers, Microsoft is now resorting to the same tactics used by spammers and malware creators to push their software.

You can dismiss the message by clicking the “X” button in the top-right corner of the window, but it’s clear that Microsoft is intent on wearing down users until they’d rather upgrade than deal with the notifications.

To be clear, as a satisfied Windows 10 user, I fully endorse the upgrade. There are plenty of users who have had issues with the new OS and others who are concerned with the lack of communication from Microsoft regarding privacy and security, but I’m not one of those people. That said, I can’t imagine that Microsoft is going to win over any cautious Windows users by pushing them closer and closer to the ledge until they have no choice but to jump off.

Quote from that article that JohnC provided.

Precisely why I refuse to update.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,823 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:09 PM

Precisely why I refuse to update.

Which is entirely your prerogative.  It remains any user's prerogative.

The fact that Microsoft is pushing, and hard, doesn't remove that prerogative.  

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:50 PM

When GWX initially came out, back in April (approx) 2015 with the first versions of KB2976978 and KB3035583 I had in my mind a suspicion that it might lead to, at some point in the future, forcible upgrades. Initially that was just a suspicion, a thought that "this COULD happen but there's no reason to think it HAS". And that stayed the case up until, and for quite a while after, the release date of windows 10. But then the news stories about forcible upgrades began, and counting this one I have now seen atleast 5 in the last two of three months all of them on different sites, with different authors and describing similar occurences. I took a look at this article, and it infact is based on another article (one from infoworld), it does seem that this new method of trying to make a user upgrade is not as forcible as some of the other events reported earlier by in other articles, the infoworld article does indicate that simply closing the windows is enough to prevent the upgrade however, this new prompt could certainly confuse many users. Users might know that programs can be closed by clicking the red X in the top right but a user seeing this could be easily confused into beleiving that if they close it then the upgrade will happen at the later time ("tonight"), afterall most "do this now or postpone for X minutes/hours/days" prompts will do their thing at the later time shown if the user closes them.

My advice to users finding a prompt like this showing would be to firstly disconnect from the internet, then run disk cleanup to delete the $WINDOWS.~BT folder (it's hidden, users need to make sure hideen files and folders are set to be shown in "folder options")which is likely to be on the C:\ drive of users who are experiencing this, if disk clenaup doesn't work for this then perform this deletion by changing the ownership of that folder then changing the permissions then deleting it. After which they should remove the windows updates KB3035583, KB3044374 and others listed at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/599235/for-those-that-wish-to-stay-with-7/ . At that point they should follow the advice below, the long sentence within "quote marks" below is the sort of text that should appear in the weekly alarm prompt the user should set for themselves. Users could set the alarm prompt on their phone or set it as a pop-up to appear weekly by using task scheduler, with a weekly prompt of this kind less experienced users should be able to manage the procedure of checking for updates.

Have updates on "check automatically but ask me whether I want to download" and have a weekly alarm on the your phone (or weekly pop-up done with task scheduler) telling you, every tuesday night or wednesday morning:
"time for updates! go to control panel-->windows update-->check for updates, then when it has checked click on "X important updates", untick everything, then retick all those named "Security Update for...". Then with those and only those "Security Update for..." updates selected click the button to install, let them download, disconnect from the internet once the download finishes, then restart as soon as it asks you to."

Edited by rp88, 16 December 2015 - 05:53 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:12 AM

It is amusing. Months ago I was trying to get the upgrade on my laptop to upgrade from 8.1 to 10. I tried everything to get that little icon! Finally I gave up and used the media creation tool. I used windows 10 for about 2 weeks until I saw all the privacy concerns, and to be honest, I really didn't like the new OS. It felt like someone put 8 into 7 and called it 10 (broken math). I then installed ubuntu on this laptop and have been much happier ever since. 

Now whenever someone asks me to upgrade their computer to win 10 the icon is there every time, and comes up once an hour or more.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 01:30 PM

Interesting to note is the fact that apple does a similar thing with El Capitan - except the notification is rather unobtrusive and in the top right corner. I update my gaming rig to 10 and find it ok, if not perfect. I modified group policy so I can update when I want rather than when they want me to. If I was working on secret stuff on it then I would not have upgraded to win10 - I would have used Linux instead. IMHO all this privacy stuff is blown way out of proportion. Google likely collects more data than Microsoft does and no one complains to this extent.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#8 kelkay

kelkay

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:50 PM

I remember I was forced to take the Win8.1 update.  It grayed everything out, and I had no choice.  What a mistake that was.  The update messed up Win8 for me.  Ever since it was a pain.  If they do a Win10.1 it WILL be the final straw.  I already have the Linux Mint dvd, and I will use it if necessary.  The new computer should be here tomorrow.  If Win10 is hosed, this will be my last Win operating system.  I will try Linux.  If I don't like Linux I will have to save up for a Mac. 

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:11 PM

kelkay, it's not relevant now I would think, but I do believe that i told you how that forcible 8 to 8.1 update could have been prevented. It is ofcourse my worry that such tactics might be used in an attempt to push 10 (apparently the win10 prompts haven't gone so far as greying everything out yet).

Edited by rp88, 15 January 2016 - 01:12 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#10 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:00 AM

Windows 10 actually ain't as bad as I thought it would be Ive had it for a few months now I upgraded from 8.1 in November 2015.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users