Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Num Lock Not Working | Unable to Edit Registry for Fix

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PhDBlonde

PhDBlonde

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:40 PM

Windows 10 Automatically installed the build that came out about 10 December.  When I did the install, the NUM LOCK refuses to work on the right hand keypad.  

I searched for the registry edit and all I find is this fix https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3gjcxd/numlock_disabled_after_booting_up_windows_10/.  The thing is, when I get to Keyboard, I've no strings to edit. I thought, "hey, permissions are an issue".  But I give all the required permissions.  I've disabled the FastStartUp / Boot and did a restart.  

I'm willing to build DWord strings but I'm really rusty.  I roll the system back to about about 2 December, and all is well.  What the heck changed?  

I'm in a Dell Studio XPS 9100. I thought "hey, let me get the driver updates for windows 10 and the keyboard"  Dell forced me into the downloads for its backup (DSD I believe--hate that) and the system update check.  In truth, I'm puzzled as to why my XPS9100 is supposedly a 64-bit system and all I get are 32-bit updates as well.  

I know, lots of stuff going on.  Anyhow, I'm stuck.  I am deferring any upgrades where I can.  I created a manual restore point so I can dump out anything that's forced on me and go back to where the darn keyboard works.  

Any ideas?  I'm out of them.  I'm the single user and the ADMIN.  

I've uploaded a screen print of the registry

Attached Files

Edited by PhDBlonde, 15 December 2015 - 05:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:49 PM

Do you have your Device Installation Settings:

Set to "No"?  This should prevent Windows from updating any drivers with Microsoft's own or the ones supplied by device manufacturers.

I don't know whether this is a bug introduced in Windows or whether as part of the upgrades you're eventually having device drivers automatically updated because the default option, which is "Yes," is what's turned on in Device Installation Settings.

[Bring up Settings and search for "Device Installation" to get this to pop up as the first item in the found settings list]

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 PhDBlonde

PhDBlonde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:59 PM

Ok, that's a start.  I've set that to "OFF".   I'm going to keep on searching for an answer.  Can we go back to COBOL and Punch cards?  Life was so easy with big plastic disk drives. Sigh.  

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:09 PM

Can we go back to COBOL and Punch cards?  Life was so easy with big plastic disk drives. Sigh.  

{Cue the immortal voice of Barbra Streisand:}  What's too painful to remember, we simply choose to forget!!

You couldn't get me to go back to COBOL or FORTRAN and punch cards for any amount of money.  I'm of the vintage where my earliest programming classes were in COBOL and FORTRAN on punch cards and when a 300 Baud terminal was considered a major leap forward.  Thanks, but no thanks!!

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users