Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is OneDrive "The Cloud"? Why can't I log off?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bsloan1960

bsloan1960

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:31 PM

OK

A year ago I moved some private files to OneDrive. It initially required me to create a log in which I did. Today, a year later, I went to OneDrive with the intention of adding more files and as I expected it prompted me for my log in info before allowing me in. So I logged in and added the files. Now I can't figure out how to log out.

I did a Google search and everyone says you CAN'T log out of that program- Huh? I though it was a sort of locker where you could keep private files.... private. If you can't log out of it- why did it ask me for user name and password a year after I 1st used it. If this isn't a secure place to store files..... what is a safe place?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,844 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:43 PM

I would never consider cloud storage to be secure in any meaningful sense, though there certainly is a lot of security involved in the various data centers where the files (or parts thereof) are stored.

I trust an external hard drive that's in my personal possession that has no connection to the cyber world at all (if I disconnect from the internet when I'm using it) to be far more secure than cloud storage.

Of course you can log out of OneDrive.  That occurs when you exit OneDrive.  That being said, many people configure OneDrive on their computers to automatically start at system start and to remember their password.  Under those conditions one is effectively never logged out of OneDrive except when completely logged of on the computer or the computer is not running.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 bsloan1960

bsloan1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:13 PM

Thanks for your time Brian- be sure to keep answers simple as I'm a bit clueless concerning computers. OK. I did indeed hit File, then scroll down and hit Exit and the program closed from view. A bit later I hit the OneDrive icon again and the window simply opened up without a prompt for a log in.

So:

1) Can I close the program so that it requires me, or anyone using my computer to enter user name and PW to get back in- which is what it initially did today after not using it for a year.

2) I'm not worried about the public or hackers getting the info. I'm trying to keep private information from the eyes of others in the house until the time comes to share it- putting it on a thumb drive will allow easy access to anyone finding the thumb drive.

3) If OneDrive isn't lock-able is there a trustworthy program that is?

Thanks

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:02 PM

In the upper right hand corner of the black bar that says OneDrive, is where an avatar/profile picture would be. Click that and you'll see a menu with sign out on it. That is how you can sign out of OneDrive with your web browser.

By any chance do you have OneDrive installed on your computer and having it synch files?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,844 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:06 PM

I will include screen captures related to OneDrive in order to try to make some things a bit clearer.  But, before that, I want to make a couple of points:

1.  If you don't want individuals with whom you share your actual computer to have access to your OneDrive then the best thing to do is to give each person who's using the machine their own user account, whether that's a local account or one associated with a Microsoft Account.   If you don't have a Microsoft Account then you can't use OneDrive, since the cloud part of OneDrive is associated with a Microsoft Account.

2.  One Drive is "lockable," but it really isn't intended to be used that way.  The idea behind OneDrive is for a user to have important (or unimportant) files stored in the cloud and immediately available to them on any Windows 10 (or 8, I believe) computer on which they log in with a Microsoft Account associated User Account.

I do not use OneDrive, so I started it again so I could include images related to OneDrive but I forgot this forum doesn't support direct inclusion of pictures.

The OneDrive Clouds icon in the system tray will be gray, not blue, when One Drive is running but not logged in.

If you right click on the OneDrive icon in the system tray and select Settings, and look at the Settings tab, you'll see there's a checkbox that allows you to select whether OneDrive starts automatically when Windows starts (for your individual account).  

Once you have logged into OneDrive, even once, your account information is retained so that, if you're using OneDrive as most people do, the things that you put in the OneDrive folder on your computer are automatically uploaded/synchronized to their cloud equivalents.  This is what most people want since OneDrive is associated with a given Microsoft Account (and that usually maps to a User Account on a Windows computer).

If you want to be logged out of the sync process until/unless you log in again, press the "Unlink OneDrive" button.  This logs you out and throws away your stored login information.  Be aware, though, that if you log in again you need to repeat this process again, since the typical way OneDrive is used means that seamless synchronization is wanted (you don't seem to want this).

In the final analysis, if you don't want people to have access to your OneDrive files, and you share a computer with other people, each person should have their own User Account on that machine.  There are other advantages to that arrangement as well, as each user can customize their desktops as they see fit (among other things) without having any effect on yours (or those of other users on the computer).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#6 bsloan1960

bsloan1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 02:44 PM

Thank you for the reply. I'm keeping this thread open because things keep coming up. I went to the settings and told it to stop syncing and that did close the program and require me to log in BUT log in is required ONLY if I click the OneCloud icon. Otherwise, if I click File, Open to open a file- the OneCloud icon is listed right along with everything else, My Photos, My Movies, etc- and right along with those is the cloud icon. If I click the cloud icon the files open right up- even though clicking the icon on the desk top now requires that I log in. Did I make this clear? Can I tell this program to store those files ONLY in the cloud and not on my PC?

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,844 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:28 PM

Can I tell this program to store those files ONLY in the cloud and not on my PC?

Not that I am aware of.  Again, that's not the purpose or design of OneDrive.

If you want something like you're talking about Google Drive, and other Cloud-based drive storage, would be more to your liking.  One can use Google Drive via their web interface without having the corresponding sync software installed on one's own computer.  If you use it this way then you can intentionally upload a file to Google Drive and delete it from your own hard drive.

You might be able to do the same thing if you delete the OneDrive app from your computer and interact with OneDrive only through its web interface, but based on what's at the OneDrive site I doubt it.

~ Mark Twain

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:57 PM

You might want to go into the task manager and disable One Cloud from starting at start up.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users