Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bugs I noticed in Win10...

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 04:51 PM

1. Notifications issue#1, Icon issues. Not all Startup program icons loading on task bar correctly during boot up into windows.

2. Notifications issue#2, Some ghost icons still present from programs that were uninstalled. No way to remove them. Under start | settings | system | notifications & actions | select which icons appear. Task manager's only option is to enable/disable. No way to remove them??

3. Notifications issue#3, "Select which icons appear on the task bar" Icons & text mismatch. Icons text doesn't match the icons. Example: Norton Antivirus icon that says, "VLC player"

4. Notifications issue#4 Some icons are completely blank.

5. Create a password reset disk is Completely broken and hides in background. Alt+TAB shows the insert flash drive error hiding in background. Inserting a flash drive loads the program once again hiding in program and not responsive. Have to kill the process with task manager.

6. Gpedit shows error pop-up during startup.

7. Explores side by side issues when dragging files from one flash drive to HD or vice versa. One side shows flash drive loaded, the other window doesn't. This happens after unmounting the drive and putting a new one in. The drive just never shows up in one of the explore windows that are side by side.

8. Not a bug but a annoyance. Entering things into search you must allow it to continue. If you stray off from the window and click on desktop or move to another explorer, webpage etc the search stops. MSFT needs a continue search feature. No one wants to stare at a windows searching 60,000 files for *.exe lol They need a continue searching check box or something.

Well that's about it for my bugs list. What say you?

Edited by technonymous, 15 December 2015 - 06:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:00 PM

As to #8, I agree it's an annoyance, but there is another method to search that's been around for a very long time that I think is intended to do what you want:  Search within File Explorer.

If you open a File Explorer window and navigate to the root folder where you want to begin your search (e.g., This PC for the whole computer) and use the Search box at the upper right hand corner of the window the search will continue when you shift away from the window.  

I seldom use Windows Search except when I'm looking for files that contain the word/phrase I'm using in the search.  If searching for files by name I find that the Search Everything program from voidtools.com is a much better option (and I use that way more often than Windows Search).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:15 PM

Well thats a lot of bugs...Is this a clean install or upgrade? Were the bugs there from the begining or did they creep in?

I would:

Do a thourough virus scan with your av and Malwarebytes.

Run the System file checker

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2895-sfc-command-run-windows-10-a.html

If filechecker finds errors,run the Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command mentioned in the link (Note under item 6 to fix them).

Agree with Britechguy,the Win filesearch is not the best,i also use Search Everything.

#4 technonymous

technonymous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:21 PM

Well thats a lot of bugs...Is this a clean install or upgrade? Were the bugs there from the begining or did they creep in?

I would:

Do a thourough virus scan with your av and Malwarebytes.

Run the System file checker

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2895-sfc-command-run-windows-10-a.html

If filechecker finds errors,run the Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command mentioned in the link (Note under item 6 to fix them).

Agree with Britechguy,the Win filesearch is not the best,i also use Search Everything.

Well I can confirm that some of these bugs are on a Windows 10 Build 10 and a Win 10 Build 15. On two different machines.

#5 technonymous

technonymous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:45 PM

I just been going through apps checking them out. Noticed the calculator doesn't have a cube function on standard or scientific mode.  They do have Xy, but come on squared and cubed is pretty common! If they made the GUI interface buttons smaller they could put that button in. Looks like a kid made it.

Edited by technonymous, 15 December 2015 - 06:45 PM.

#6 technonymous

technonymous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:53 PM

Ok  found another bug. Windows 10 DVD player app is utter garbage. Skips on dvd's so bad it's completely useless. They actually sell this app for $14.99 LOL. I checked 3 store bought dvd's so far, and they all run like crap. Ones brand new I think I watched it once on the dvd console in the living room. They all have cases and not scratched. VLC player runs beautiful. So that is another check off for MSFT. To be continued...

#7 technonymous

technonymous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:57 PM

I am literally finding these as I go along right now lol

#8 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:01 PM

Well I can confirm that some of these bugs are on a Windows 10 Build 10 and a Win 10 Build 15. On two different machines.

Well,it was supposedly written in nine months,its always felt like a work in progress to me..

Whole list of 10 bugs here:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/13-windows-10-bugs-microsoft-c1249735918542902.html

5. Create a password reset disk is Completely broken and hides in background. Alt+TAB shows the insert flash drive error hiding in background. Inserting a flash drive loads the program once again hiding in program and not responsive. Have to kill the process with task manager.

If i do that i get the wizard come up and off we go to the recovery disk..according to above post,the broken password recovery is a common problem,along with loads of others.

Not sure what the anwer is,are people getting bad installs / upgrades?

Havnt had a gltch from this system yet,i think Britechguy said the same about his somewhere but its causing chaos on some.

I know its a hassle but i think i would start from scratch and reinstall.

Edited by Wolverine 7, 15 December 2015 - 07:02 PM.

#9 technonymous

technonymous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:03 PM

Well I looked at the maps and that one runs fine. However, there seems to be no Arctic North polar ice region like the South pole has. LOL Not sure what the heck is going on there.

#10 technonymous

technonymous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:06 PM

Well,it was supposedly written in nine months,its always felt like a work in progress to me..

Whole list of 10 bugs here:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/13-windows-10-bugs-microsoft-c1249735918542902.html

If i do that i get the wizard come up and off we go to the recovery disk..according to above post,the broken password recovery is a common problem,along with loads of others.

Not sure what the anwer is,are people getting bad installs / upgrades?

Havnt had a gltch from this system yet,i think Britechguy said the same about his somewhere but its causing chaos on some.

I know its a hassle but i think i would start from scratch and reinstall.

I thought about reinstalling fresh from cd, but the thought of reinstalling everything makes me cringe. These bugs can be fixed and probably will be on another major update.

#11 technonymous

technonymous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:08 PM

I still have a laptop running Windows 10 build 10 and hasn't even gotten build 15 yet MSFT pulled the download so fast I couldn't get it. So I guess that happens whenever. I knew all this wouldn't go smoothly it never does.

Edited by technonymous, 15 December 2015 - 07:08 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:55 PM

Ok  found another bug. Windows 10 DVD player app is utter garbage. Skips on dvd's so bad it's completely useless. They actually sell this app for $14.99 LOL. I checked 3 store bought dvd's so far, and they all run like crap. Ones brand new I think I watched it once on the dvd console in the living room. They all have cases and not scratched. VLC player runs beautiful. So that is another check off for MSFT. To be continued...

Yeah, I would be embarrassed selling that junk for $15. VLC is the way to go. 

win-10-dvd-590x330.jpg

#13 technonymous

technonymous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 10:54 PM

Not sure if this is a bug. Mouse Wheel on Start Menu | All Apps does absolutely nothing. Since there is a slide bar you would think your mouse scroll would work. However, Down/up arrow work. Pressing A,B,C,D does nothing. Would be nice if pressing those key it would jump to those sections. Wishful thinking I suppose.

#14 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 11:03 AM

Not sure if this is a bug. Mouse Wheel on Start Menu | All Apps does absolutely nothing. Since there is a slide bar you would think your mouse scroll would work. However, Down/up arrow work. Pressing A,B,C,D does nothing. Would be nice if pressing those key it would jump to those sections. Wishful thinking I suppose.

Mousewheel works for me.

#15 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:32 PM

Works for me too,have a look at this link,certainly cant hurt to run the system file checker and then the DISM Tool if problems found.

http://www.urtech.ca/2015/05/solved-windows-10-start-menu-and-modern-apps-do-not-function/

Edited by Wolverine 7, 29 December 2015 - 04:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users