Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 reinstalling uninstalled LibreOffice upon Restart

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 vlrock

vlrock

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 04:45 PM

I'm not sure what forum to put this post in, but since it's an uninstall and subsequent unwanted re-install, it seems that it belongs in the windows forum.

I have a Windows 10 Pro 64 workstation that is fully up-to-date with all the latest security patches.  It has Malwarebytes Home Premium installed and a full scan indicates that I have NO vermin in residence.  Similarly, a full scan using Windows Defender also indicates that I have no vermin in residence.

My problem is that regardless of what I use to UNinstall LibreOffice v4.4.6.3 (Control Panel\Programs & Features, CCleaner\Uninstaller, Revo Uninstaller, or IOBit Uninstaller), it manages to reinstall itself  upon system restart.  How do I find out WHAT the heck is reinstalling this unwanted application on my workstation?  It appears that something is re-engaging a "restore" function that re-installs this application!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,914 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 04:51 PM

Have you looked to make sure that the actual installer software is no longer present on your machine?  It could be that, heaven only knows how, you have the installation running at startup.

Another idea, and it's just a thought, is to try an overwrite install of the latest version of LibreOffice and then try uninstalling that.

I've never heard of anything like this with LibreOffice.  It's a head-scratcher.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 vlrock

vlrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:04 PM

Yes indeed, it is certainly a head scratcher.

Yes, I installed the current version of LibreOffice in the LibreOffice4 folder  in the Programs (x86 folder).  Then, I uninstalled LibreOffice5.  Checked the Programs (x86) folder and yep, no LibreOffice folder.  Used the "powerful" IObit uninstall method (or Advanced method with Revo) when I did that, so It supposedly removed all Registry entries as well.  But, upon restart ... low and behold, it just reinstalled itself.

Maybe I should open up regedit and search for "run"?????

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:31 PM

If you still have CCleaner installed, open it and click on Tools, then Startup.

Then look under the various headings.....internet explorer, firefox, scheduled tasks etc etc to see if Libre has a mention anywhere.

If you find it...highlight it (single click), and then click delete over on the right hand side

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 GameGuru

GameGuru

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:38 PM

I have never run into something like this but it is very interesting.  When reading this the only thing I could think of is the installer (or a copy) is in your startup folder so whenever you start your computer it starts the install.

I wasn't entirely sure if you meant it was trying to reinstall it on every startup or when your computer boots it is already installed.  If it is the former check your startup folder.  If it is the later do you somehow have your PC setup so nothing you do during a session changes anything and upon bootup it loads a pristine copy of Windows 10 without any changes that were made prior to this startup?  I know a lot of companies have this so an employee can't mess up the system.

AMD FX-6300 6-Core|Asrock 990FX Extreme3|16GB G. Skill Ripjaws (4x4GB) DDR3 1600|MSI Geforce GTX 970 Gaming 4G|250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD|8TB (total) Seagate NAS HDD|Corsair CX600M 600W PSU|Pioneer BDR-209DBK|HP Pavilion 25XI 25" IPS 7ms Display|CoolerMaster HAF XB EVO|Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II 2.0 Speakers

These guys know tech!  Check out digitalSoup at http://www.digitalsouppodcast.com.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:24 AM

I'm not familiar with LibreOffice, but have seen the concept of this (can't recall exactly where).

In the instance that I saw, the autostart entry would launch the installer.

The installer would check to see if the product was already installed as an early step.

If it found it installed, it would exit (in my case tho' - there was a message that the program was already installed).

As a attempt at a "fix", remove all entries associated with LibreOffice from the startups listed in Autoruns (free from here:  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx )

To further ensure that it's gone, search your system for files associated with LibreOffice and delete them all (if it ain't there, the system can't run it!)

The problem that you may face is that the autostart thing may be hidden/have a different name - so you may not be able to locate it.

If that's the case, try a clean boot ( http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-clean-boot-state-in-windows )

If the problem entry doesn't start up after a clean boot, then enable ½ of the items and try that to see if you can find it.  Keep doing this by ½'s until you locate the offending entry.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 vlrock

vlrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 12:55 PM

Okay ... Let's start over ... it's not just on "restart".  I walked away for sometime yesterday after uninstalling LibreOffice yet again to deal with Christmas issues.  Upon return to my PC, it had reinstalled itself.  In checking the "Event Viewer" there's a lot of activity associated with the Software Protection Service.

Meanwhile, using CCleaner, I asked it to do a full cleaning including deleting my Windows.old folder.  Thinking I might have seen a "gee, do you want me to install LibreOffice" when I installed a version of jre a long, long time ago, I deleted both 32/64 bit versions of jre.  I then cleared the EventViewer Application log, unstalled LibreOffice yet again and restarted my workstation.

When it started up, as did the "Software Protection Service."  It appears that the MSIinstaller may have needed to reindex all my installed software as there are a large number of MSIinstaller entries with each entry referencing a different piece of installed software. Then, once in neared the end of those entries, I see this:

Information 12/16/2015 8:23:05 AM MsiInstaller 1040 None
Beginning a Windows Installer transaction: C:\Windows\Temp\76105981141017910210\LibreOffice_4.4.6_Win_x86.msi. Client Process Id: 14996.

Information 12/16/2015 8:23:07 AM RestartManager 10000 None
Starting session 0 - ‎2015‎-‎12‎-‎16T16:23:07.781226700Z.

Information 12/16/2015 8:24:59 AM MsiInstaller 11707 None
Product: LibreOffice 4.4.6.3 -- Installation operation completed successfully.

Information 12/16/2015 8:24:59 AM MsiInstaller 1033 None
Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: LibreOffice 4.4.6.3. Product Version: 4.4.6.3. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: The Document Foundation. Installation success or error status: 0.

Information 12/16/2015 8:24:59 AM MsiInstaller 1042 None
Ending a Windows Installer transaction: C:\Windows\Temp\76105981141017910210\LibreOffice_4.4.6_Win_x86.msi. Client Process Id: 14996.

That's the first time I've seen the actual location from which it's supposedly installing LibreOffice, so I navigated to where that is supposed to be.  Nope, not there, no such folder.  So I told Explorer to show me all the hidden files/folders.  Nope, no such folder.  So I copied and pasted C:\Windows\Temp\76105981141017910210\ into the WinExplorer address bar.  Nope, no such folder.  (Do I need to WIPE the blank space on my C: Drive?)

Next, I opened the TASK MANAGER, no tasks associated with "The Documentation Foundation" or "Libre Office" ANYWHERE in the task manager.

Next, I downloaded and ran the the Autoruns application mentioned above in the Administrator mode.  I found 2 entries

HKLM\Software\Classes\Folder\Shellex\ColumnHandlers 12/16/2015 8:24 AM
{C52AF81D-F7A0-4AAB-8E87-F80A60CCD396} The Document Foundation c:\program files (x86)\libreoffice 4\program\shlxthdl\shlxthdl_x64.dll 10/27/2015 3:30 PM

HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Classes\Folder\Shellex\ColumnHandlers 12/16/2015 8:24 AM
{C52AF81D-F7A0-4AAB-8E87-F80A60CCD396} The Document Foundation c:\program files (x86)\libreoffice 4\program\shlxthdl\shlxthdl.dll 10/27/2015 3:30 PM

I removed the check mark from the first one, but it wouldn't let me remove the second one saying that it couldn't find it.

I then opened windows explorer and searched for "libre" .... it came back with a copy of the installer in a Secunia file in the Windows\temp folder.  Attempted to delete it.  Nope, no go.  Opened Malwarebytes File Assassin, checked everything and told it to execute to delete it.  Nope. No go.  Reopened RevoUninstaller and told it to UNinstall SecuniaPSI in advanced mode.  Once it was gone, I was finally able to delete the installer file.

I'm still waiting for LibreOffice to reappear, but I think I may have finally gotten it.  What a pain in the arse!  Don't think I'll be reinstalling SecuniaPSI anytime soon.  GlaryUtilities works just fine in helping me decide which apps need updating and lets ME do the updating.

Thanks for the help folks.  I'm hoping I don't have to write another epistle on this subject yet again.

Edited by vlrock, 16 December 2015 - 12:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users